Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Clean the battery cables & posts. Charge the battery if you have a charger & test with a volt meter. See if she starts.

[/b]A new fully charged battery will test at about 12.76 volts usually (at rest).

Imo, you probably need a new battery or alternator.

This ^^^ ....acting like the battery is toast...just old and has died...but if, as you said, you have lots of corrosion, the terminals could be corroded inside the attachment points. Try cleaning them first, but most likely your battery has just died of old age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Might have wrecked the alternator. I had a Grand Am which the alternator had a fuse give out and it drained the battery...$135 to replace it...All was fine afterward...

Old 04-10-2017, 12:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Speaking of terminal corrosion, most people never service their battery. I went to a seminar at Exide once, and they recommended removing the battery, scrubbing down the exterior of the battery and the battery tray with a brush, a little bicarb and a lot of water, cleaning the terminals and terminal connectors and applying a little anti-oxidant to the terminals before reinstalling the battery. I have to admit I'm sort of lazy about it, but I always use the anti-oxidant on the terminals when I install a new battery, and once a year or so I spritz it with Simple Green, brush all the crud off and hose it thoroughly. If there's any sign of electrolyte spillage I pull the battery and clean the tray.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I'm guessing you have a roasted battery.
What's a "roasted" battery? Now, if it was toasted, that would be something else.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 PM

251 posts, read 950,814 times
Maybe I got lucky. I bought a new battery and truck started up. Drove around the neighborhood a couple times the alternator was charging and no lights or any other problems.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times
A test light or a volt meter might give you some idea of the battery condition. However to really know the condition of your battery it has to be tested under a load. Most parts stores will test it for free using something that is designed to test the battery under a load.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Speaking of terminal corrosion, most people never service their battery. I went to a seminar at Exide once, and they recommended removing the battery, scrubbing down the exterior of the battery and the battery tray with a brush, a little bicarb and a lot of water, cleaning the terminals and terminal connectors and applying a little anti-oxidant to the terminals before reinstalling the battery. I have to admit I'm sort of lazy about it, but I always use the anti-oxidant on the terminals when I install a new battery, and once a year or so I spritz it with Simple Green, brush all the crud off and hose it thoroughly. If there's any sign of electrolyte spillage I pull the battery and clean the tray.
I clean my battery once every 18 - 20 years. I do not want that dirty thing in my car when I take it in to avoid a core charge when replacing it. However now, with the autoparts stores installing them for free, there is no longer any need to clean them. I have not seen a terminal get crudded up in years, probably more than a decade. Most batteries now have covers on the terminals, that might be why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive