Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:59 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

Mobil1 says once a year in their documentation so that is what I go with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 11:02 AM

797 posts, read 752,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
My car sat once for 5 years (outside under a carport) & when I got it up & running I changed the oil twice every 1k miles. It may be of been a waste of money the 2nd time but who knows.
Good call. Always better safe than sorry

Old 04-18-2017, 01:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Good call. Always better safe than sorry
Yep. 5 yrs is a long time for oil to sit in a engine without starting it up. I actually did start it up (mostly in summer) maybe 5 times in that time period & ran it for maybe 10 mins.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
I think this question has been well answered, but I'll throw in some more information.

I don't know of any manufacturer of automobiles or oil who say it is ok to go more than one year (but many say 1 year is fine). However, there are a number of people who have done oil analysis with low mileage cars and have found that in almost every case a quality oil is still in good shape after 2 years. I believe the only exception to that I read about was one case where the car was driven only on very short trips, and so the oil never had time to get up to temperature.

Based on the recommendations and oil analysis results, I would say you are just fine every year, and I wouldn't worry if ti went a little longer. If you really want to know, spend the $28 or so and have the oil tested after a year and see what shape it is in. I bet it would be still good to go....

Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 PM

797 posts, read 752,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I think this question has been well answered, but I'll throw in some more information.

I don't know of any manufacturer of automobiles or oil who say it is ok to go more than one year (but many say 1 year is fine). However, there are a number of people who have done oil analysis with low mileage cars and have found that in almost every case a quality oil is still in good shape after 2 years. I believe the only exception to that I read about was one case where the car was driven only on very short trips, and so the oil never had time to get up to temperature.

Based on the recommendations and oil analysis results, I would say you are just fine every year, and I wouldn't worry if ti went a little longer. If you really want to know, spend the $28 or so and have the oil tested after a year and see what shape it is in. I bet it would be still good to go....
Blackstone labs.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post

I definitely did not plan to go over a year, no matter how low of miles. Changing at a year is the maximum I'd go.

This is so true about oil testing. I'll wait a full year and do the test (Next February). Only way to really know!

Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 PM

I haven't changed the oil (Pennzoil 10-30) in 2 years (3.500 miles). I plan to do it before my next smog inspection later this summer. By then I would of put on another 750-1000 miles. Is it ok to change my oil then ? The book states to change the oil every 5k miles. The car has 131,200 miles & is a 307 V-8, 85 olds 88.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
I haven't changed the oil (Pennzoil 10-30) in 2 years (3.500 miles). I plan to do it before my next smog inspection later this summer. By then I would of put on another 750-1000 miles. Is it ok to change my oil then ? The book states to change the oil every 5k miles. The car has 131,200 miles & is a 307 V-8, 85 olds 88.
The book probably also states "or every 6 months or every 12 months".

Old 05-02-2017, 03:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Very fresh lube oil in the engine, and a set of new plugs, tend to drive down HC emissions. Some people might call this "cheating" but whatever.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Very fresh lube oil in the engine, and a set of new plugs, tend to drive down HC emissions. Some people might call this "cheating" but whatever.
The plugs only have a few thousand miles on them. I always changed the oil every 3k miles but I believe that was a waste of money. Your car can goes years without a front end lube job because the grease doesn't dry up in the fitting unless the fitting is damaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive