Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times

Advertisements

Too many suburban kids learn to drive in pickup trucks or SUV's. If you really want him to hone his skills, get him a Crown Victoria, Chevy Caprice, Buick etc. Big, longer cars with a much lower profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Just have him get a job and then he can buy whatever car he wants.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Most of my kids have/had no interest in getting their license at 16. The only exception is one son who is a car and driving nut. He woke me up at 5:30 a.m. on his 16th birthday. "Come-on Dad, Secretary of State in Livonia 40 miles away) opens at 7 a.m. We do not want to have to wait in line.
Funny thing we got there at 6:45 and there were at least 20 people in line outside the locked door. I guess a lot of 16 year old birthdays that day.

He has been a great driver, usually very responsible and careful. Practices just to practice. Now, at 21, he is one of the best drivers I know. Notwithstanding one instance long ago when I let him drive my Camaro and he slid into a curb taking a corner too fast - made him fix the damage and later gave him the Camaro, and he never had any other incidents, so he learned his lesson. He never got a ticket, never had an accident other than the curb thing, no issues. He was always a careful alert driver and very skilled at controlling the car. In the winter, he would go into an icy parking lot at night and practice dealing with slides, skids and other snow/ice issues.

Our other kids we have/had to push them to get their license by the time they were 18. Our youngest, now 17, has had a car available to him since her was 16 (before actually). No interest, the car just sits unless we need a spare. I stopped driving him to school on my way to work and told him to get his license or ride the bus. Instead he convinced Mom or his sister to drop him off at school in the morning.

Two of our three daughters pushed right up to their 18th birthday (day before for one of them). After 18, you have to take another test or a class or something. The other daughter waited until late 16 or early 17 and only got her license for a job. They absolutely did not want to get a license. Not just disinterested, they preferred to not have a license. Did not want to drive.
Fixed the paragraph disorder

Old 04-19-2017, 12:56 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
OP, why the push to even get him a vehicle? Let him drive yours for some period of time until he proves himself, then let the decision be a joint one (instead of a surprise) where he pays for part, you pay for the part you were prepared to fund).

The key to minimize cost, as has been mentioned previously, is to purchase a vehicle where you don't require collision (e.g. no loan and you are comfortable self-insuring any damage).

My wife is pressuring me to purchase a 3rd vehicle for my son to drive and I am resisting it (even though he is a very responsible individual and a far better driver than my wife). Most likely, at some time in the future, he will get my old Expedition (which he drives regularly now). His getting a summer job may speed up the process as we don't want to have to haul him back and forth all the time.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:06 PM

371 posts, read 537,467 times
I thought my son was a responsible driver when he first started out at 16 1/2, but kids being kids, I got an old Buick Century from a friend for free and my son worked all summer to put $1000 in the car to make it pass inspection. Three weeks later, he totalled it driving too fast on a dirt road, showing off for a friend. Lucky no one was hurt but I figured he wouldn't learn anything by not driving, so I bought him a 1992 or 1993 Olds Delta 98, the biggest car I could find. That car was an awesome choice. It had ABS, air bags and best of all, it was huge, safe and only set me back $1800. He drove it for three years, sold it for $1500 and got a newer car in college. Never had another accident, so he learned his lesson the hard way. When your child first starts driving, those gray hairs appear overnight

Old 04-19-2017, 05:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Here's the skinny on that:

Volvos USED TO excel in safety features that no other cars had. USED TO. Crumple zones on their frames, etc. It USED TO BE that no other car manufacturers had what Volvo had, regarding safety features.

That is no longer the case today.

Still, the idea of "the Volvo is a SAFE car" continues to this day.

Actually the 2017 Volvo S60 is a Top Safety Pick of the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety. That would be meaningful I would think. Years ago when we bought a Volvo for our son it was also rated highly.

Last edited by Harpaint; 04-19-2017 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 06:12 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times
Driving a truck is not like driving a car. Trucks can't pull off as fast and you can't really make fast turns on them. It depends on how a new driver has to drive it.

That being said, if your son is responsible, he should be able to ride on anything.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Love the idea of a truck.
My son had a craigslist ad to offer his services to transport large purchases (not the labor required to load, necessarily)

Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 AM

749 posts, read 734,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Actually the 2017 Volvo S60 is a Top Safety Pick of the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety. That would be meaningful I would think. Years ago when we bought a Volvo for our son it was also rated highly.
You're right. Volvos are definitely good cars, and built solidly. But the "safety difference" today is - in my opinion - far less than it was, say, 40 years ago.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:51 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Buy him a new Z06 Corvette convertible.

And then get a $1M life insurance policy with you as the beneficiary.

But seriously...a good pick is a used subaru without the turbo engine. It's safe and has good visibility. When he crashes it he'll likely be OK.

Good luck.
When I lived in VA, some guy bought his kid a new Corvette as a first car and sadly he did kill himself in a single car accident on the way to school one morning. Damned shame and it didn't have to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive