Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I thought about rejecting the extra insurance on a rental (and just using my own). I was glad that I chose not to do that when a rock hit the windshield. I thought surely, this is automatically covered. Nope. If I hadn't purchased the extra insurance I would have been out of pocket for the glass. I don't even debate getting insurance anymore, I just do it.
As much as I rent, I can buy a lot of windshields with the money I save by not paying $31 or more a day for their overpriced insurance. Besides, if you have a reputable insurance company, they will pay for a windshield, just like they would on your own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
As much as I rent, I can buy a lot of windshields with the money I save by not paying $31 or more a day for their overpriced insurance. Besides, if you have a reputable insurance company, they will pay for a windshield, just like they would on your own car.
$31 a day??? I just paid $27 total for a three-day car rental. I buy the insurance when I book the car on-line. I never used to get it either, until two friends had incidents -- one hit an animal and the other had something hit the windshield -- and they would have been out their deductible if they didn't have the extra insurance.

Now the problem is at the counter, the agent asks me if I want the insurance. They apparently don't get notified I already purchased it. And frankly, because I book the flights/rentals so far in advance, I actually didn't remember whether I did buy it -- so now I pay closer attention.

I just checked my last policy and it says it covers loss of use.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:40 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
For peace of mind, I always take out the Loss Wave Damage, just for the car only. In Las Vegas it's almost $24 a day for that coverage, and when I rented a car in L.A., last summer, that same coverage was $9 a day.

Why the discrepancy, I asked Enterprise? They told me, true or false, the State sets those rates, and they get a kickback? So he advised me to complain to the State!

Anyone know if that's true or not?

I have an old 1985 Toyota Supra, won't take it out of town for long trips, and I only have Liability on it. One reason I take the Loss Waver Damage coverage.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
A friend had an accident with a rental car while on vacation. She spent the last two days of vacation trying to sort out the insurance mess which was a nightmare. That's one reason some people just go ahead and do the extra insurance as they can walk away and not have to deal with an insurance claim far from home.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:27 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
For most you do not need to take the extra coverage of the rental car policy. Most personal full coverage auto policies WILL COVER the rental car. However, you must have full coverage on at least one vehicle on your policy, have glass coverage and loss of use. Before getting a rental car call your insurance company to clarify. Also as some have already stated your credit card company usually will have coverage as well. Verifing this information could save you $$$ and aggrevation. The rental dealers try their hardest to sell this coverage that is USUALLY NOT NEEDED. Of course, it all depends on the auto insurance company your're with and your coverage on the policy. It only take a second to call your insurance company or agent to find out.

No one here can say if you do or or don't have coverage as it's policy specific, but most carriers offer the extension.

Last edited by CGab; 04-19-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I thought about rejecting the extra insurance on a rental (and just using my own). I was glad that I chose not to do that when a rock hit the windshield. I thought surely, this is automatically covered. Nope. If I hadn't purchased the extra insurance I would have been out of pocket for the glass. I don't even debate getting insurance anymore, I just do it.
Thank you.

As stated above in other posts most "think" that they are covered for everything. Which may not be true.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 AM

749 posts, read 735,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
A friend had an accident with a rental car while on vacation. She spent the last two days of vacation trying to sort out the insurance mess which was a nightmare. That's one reason some people just go ahead and do the extra insurance as they can walk away and not have to deal with an insurance claim far from home.
They THINK they won't have the same nightmare. But the reality is that if they do this, they'll be dealing with 3 insurance companies instead of 2. That's not apt to turn out in their favor.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Just be careful if you intend to rely upon your own insurance and your credit card. I switched car insurance companies last year and was surprised to find how difficult it was to find a company that covered me no matter what I was driving and that would cover my car if I was not the person driving it. I found it, but not all companies give that coverage, so be sure to check your policy.

I keep getting notices from my credit card companies that they are no longer offering this perk or that perk. I know that some people don't read those notices. So you want to double check to make sure your card still insures rental car usage. Just because they used to does not mean that they still do.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentacarClub View Post
Hello all,

Greeting of the day,
I have just joined this forum, I completely agree with your point of view of on purchasing extra
or unnecessary insurances. This seems to be only a money wastage. It's a completely rip-off!
Another novice who ha not read or comprehended all of the above posts.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:36 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Mostly relevant for foreigners, because they don't have an American insurance that could be used on any rental. Either they get external insurance from their credit cards or third party providers, or they just sign the rental car companies overpriced insurance for that 10 days they are in the US.

While certainly not doubting you Douglas, I visit the U.S., mostly S.W. Florida or D.C./Northern Virginia areas at least once per year, sometimes twice, and I pre-book in the U.K., usually Alamo or Dollar.
Full C.D.W. is included in the rates, and no matter how hard the clerk pushes additional insurance I always decline.
My probably misguided take on it, is that both my wife and I have driven safely all over Europe and the U.S. on the "wrong" side of the road, with cars where the steering wheel is on the "wrong" side, and although that doesn't preclude us from ever getting into an accident, we feel that it makes it more likely to be someone colliding with us, rather than us being at fault, and the C.D.W. would remove us from any payout.
Knock on wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive