Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:24 PM

749 posts, read 735,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Many manufacturers use that as a marketing tool.
Then the failures,hard shifts,stuck solenoids, and angry customers happen.
VW had a "lifetime" fluid ,no service needed.
Then ,with that same transmission,they stated to current owners that service needs to be done at 50k.
GM sold millions of cars with "sealed" automatic transmissions in them. Interesting that they were able to do that when, according to some here, your transmission fluid ABSOLUTELY must be changed every 25,000 miles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
GM sold millions of cars with "sealed" automatic transmissions in them. Interesting that they were able to do that when, according to some here, your transmission fluid ABSOLUTELY must be changed every 25,000 miles...
Sadly, poster and others are getting terms MIXED UP.

And getting transmissions mixed up.

There are some automatic transmission that have no traditional dip stick. Those use a longer life automatic transmission fluid. Sometimes people get this confused with LIFETIME fluid which there is no such thing. Sometimes the term SEALED transmission is used and that is a complete misnomer. There is no such thing as a "sealed" automatic transmission.

ALL automatic transmissions should have their fluid changed at some point. Traditional or "sealed" or "lifetime" automatic transmissions. READ the owners manual.

Hey, it's your money and your car. Take care of it properly or NOT.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
THE B123 SERVICE for CRV. My mileage is about 54k. Is something missing here I need to do. Car is running just fine, except the " B 123" oil change indication in the dash board.

TAO (Local auto shop, good reputation)

SERVICE (B) = MAJOR SERVICE INCLUDES CHECKING SUSPENSION,CHASSIE,BRAKES,TIRES,BELTS,HOSES,COOLIN G SYSTEM
ON BOARD COMPUTER,LIGHTS WIPERS,WASHER AND SPARE TIRE.
#1 = OIL AND FILTER CHANGE
#2 = REPLACMENT OF ENGINE AIR FILTER AND INTERIOR CABIN FILTER
#3 = CHANGING OF TRANSMISSION FLUID

TOTAL COST OF SERVICE IS $425.00

This is what the shop is doing. The other stuff is fluff to make it seem like they are doing more

Honda Dealership:

THE OIL CHANGE,
ROTATE AND BALANCE OF THE TIRES,
ENGINE AND CABIN AIR FILTERS,
TRANSMISSION SERVICE, CLEANING AND

ADJUSTING THE PARKING BRAKE AND PARKING SHOES AND ADJUSTING THE DRIVE BELTS.
TOTAL COST OF SERVICE IS $390.00 + tax.
This is what the dealer is doing. A bit more because they are rotating the tires. The parking brake doesn't need adjustment. I've never adjusted a parking brake in any car. Most self adjust when you back up. Either way if it needs adjusting it's a 30 second deal. Most if not all vehicles today have a single serpentine belt and a automatic tensioner. I don't see how they are adjusting the drive belt. Unless your car has V belts.

I bet they will try to hit you up for a brake job. They always do.
I had a dealer try to hit my wife for a brake job when she went in for a oil change. I just did a FULL brake pad rotor and fluid change a week prior. Never went back.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:05 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The dealer is doing more, and charging less. If you can't do it your self, the choice is obvious.

I agree, somewhat. I would first check your manual and see what the light on means. I would have the dealer do a check, but not that entire service. The miles are too low to need all that!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Sadly, poster and others are getting terms MIXED UP.

And getting transmissions mixed up.

There are some automatic transmission that have no traditional dip stick. Those use a longer life automatic transmission fluid. Sometimes people get this confused with LIFETIME fluid which there is no such thing. Sometimes the term SEALED transmission is used and that is a complete misnomer. There is no such thing as a "sealed" automatic transmission.

ALL automatic transmissions should have their fluid changed at some point. Traditional or "sealed" or "lifetime" automatic transmissions. READ the owners manual.

Hey, it's your money and your car. Take care of it properly or NOT.
Well... considering that all 3 of my current cars have way over 200,000 miles on them - and all with original drivetrains - I'd say I've been taking care of them properly.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This is what the dealer is doing. A bit more because they are rotating the tires. The parking brake doesn't need adjustment. I've never adjusted a parking brake in any car. Most self adjust when you back up. Either way if it needs adjusting it's a 30 second deal. Most if not all vehicles today have a single serpentine belt and a automatic tensioner. I don't see how they are adjusting the drive belt. Unless your car has V belts.

I bet they will try to hit you up for a brake job. They always do.
I had a dealer try to hit my wife for a brake job when she went in for a oil change. I just did a FULL brake pad rotor and fluid change a week prior. Never went back.
The '13 CRV has a serpentine belt. No v-belts. No "adjusting the drive belt."

Basically they're wanting to charge $400 for an oil & filters change.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
The '13 CRV has a serpentine belt. No v-belts. No "adjusting the drive belt."

Basically they're wanting to charge $400 for an oil & filters change.
Yeah well I remember my mom took her car in and they performed a front wheel bearing repack. $120. I went to the dealer with her and demanded for the manager the service advisor and the mechanic to show me the procedure in repacking the wheel bearings on a front wheel drive 2012 Honda.
The tap dancing routine was entertaining. My mom got her $120 and I took her to lunch.
I only go to a dealer in the most extreme case.

If the transmission fluid includes a filter that's not that bad. I mean they have to make money. It's not a charity. I would call around and get some prices from other dealers. Then start negotisting the price. Use one dealers price to beat up another and vice versa.
Not to mention ask if there are any discounts available. I always ask if they can do better orvbeat someone's quote. Lots of times people drop the quite a bit.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:35 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
RTFM ... ... for normal conditions, 6 years / 90,000 miles before the transmission fluid needs replacing.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:48 PM

209 posts, read 169,041 times
I've always done auto transmission at 25k.
Guess who had a vintage 96 explorer and 95 Taurus with original e A4OD autos?
Yup.
Either take it to the dealer or trusted mechanic. Weakest drivetrain component on a Honda is... Their crappy auto transmission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive