Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 AM

50 posts, read 44,333 times

Advertisements

I like sporty/luxury coupes and convertibles and high-end SUV's. I am looking to trade in my BMW M135i this year. This car is amazing - so amazing, that I may get another one with low miles if I can't find a better car in my $25k budget. I have driven the heck out of it. It's seen a lot of this country lol.

For the right car, I could go higher on the budget because I'll have the car for at least 2-3 years, but I'd prefer to stay within budget so that I can use the money for traveling and investing.

Must haves:

-technology package with screen etc
-leather seats
-decent power (steep hills in California)
-reliable (high maintenance is fine for the right car)
-paddle shifter's or manual
-under 35k miles

Make your suggestions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 04:41 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Can you narrow it dwn a bit? Sporty coupe or SUV?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Can you narrow it dwn a bit? Sporty coupe or SUV?
I could do either as I like both. It will not be my only car so I'm flexible, but in order, I like convertibles, coupes, and then SUV's.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Been there. Done that.

Get this out of your system. And save for your retirement.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Been there. Done that.

Get this out of your system. And save for your retirement.
What if I told you that I have a nice car WHILE saving for retirement. Mind blown? The journey is just as important as the destination, in more ways than one. Why not enjoy your life while you save for retirement.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:16 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyKeagz View Post
What if I told you that I have a nice car WHILE saving for retirement. Mind blown? The journey is just as important as the destination, in more ways than one. Why not enjoy your life while you save for retirement.
Yup, exactly! You have to enjoy life also. Not just buy the cheapest car you can to save for retirement. You spend all your young years saving for retirement.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:03 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyKeagz View Post
Absolutely this!
I have 125K in 2 pickup trucks. One is paid for. One is 1200 per month. Love that word-Retirement. I get a kick out of the older generations "why do you buy guns? Why do you buy old junkers?"
Because some of those guns and some of those "junker" pick ups with a little hardwork can get me 10-15k for a total of 4/5k invested into it in 5 years... Why buy a Les Baer for 3500 when you can buy 10 rock island armories for the same money?

Kill 2 birds with one stone man, Buy yourself something that is going to increase in value. Look for something that was a limited production run vehicle... That way, when you do Retire... You have something thats yielded a return, not a loss... Or do one better, go find an old camaro sitting in some dudes back yard for 2k. 23k can get body work and chassis work squared away, a carbed crate, LS swap, or custom built small block. Can't go wrong with classics if you're mechanically inclined...

I suggest the classic route because the local lexus dealer has a low mileage ISF (19k on the clock) and they have had that car in the front row for 3 months now. Its that nice blue color. Asking 28k for it.
BMW Mercedes Audi usually go for half of what they did brand new in 2 years... Thats hefty depreciation regardless of mileage...

If Camaros/Mustangs etc arent your thing... Old datsuns get good money. Old MGs get decent money. Mitsu GT3000s and Nissan 300 get really good money... *** sports cars aren't your thing? Bug eye mark1 Gtis with factory recaro seats, VW corrados/sciroccos, certain audis get TONS of money... Especially if it has VR6...

Old 04-29-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Absolutely this!
I have 125K in 2 pickup trucks. One is paid for. One is 1200 per month. Love that word-Retirement. I get a kick out of the older generations "why do you buy guns? Why do you buy old junkers?"
Because some of those guns and some of those "junker" pick ups with a little hardwork can get me 10-15k for a total of 4/5k invested into it in 5 years... Why buy a Les Baer for 3500 when you can buy 10 rock island armories for the same money?

Kill 2 birds with one stone man, Buy yourself something that is going to increase in value. Look for something that was a limited production run vehicle... That way, when you do Retire... You have something thats yielded a return, not a loss... Or do one better, go find an old camaro sitting in some dudes back yard for 2k. 23k can get body work and chassis work squared away, a carbed crate, LS swap, or custom built small block. Can't go wrong with classics if you're mechanically inclined...

I suggest the classic route because the local lexus dealer has a low mileage ISF (19k on the clock) and they have had that car in the front row for 3 months now. Its that nice blue color. Asking 28k for it.
BMW Mercedes Audi usually go for half of what they did brand new in 2 years... Thats hefty depreciation regardless of mileage...

If Camaros/Mustangs etc arent your thing... Old datsuns get good money. Old MGs get decent money. Mitsu GT3000s and Nissan 300 get really good money... *** sports cars aren't your thing? Bug eye mark1 Gtis with factory recaro seats, VW corrados/sciroccos, certain audis get TONS of money... Especially if it has VR6...
Good stuff man. Thanks. I'd love to get my hands on a classic and work on it and keep it. Although I have expensive taste and an old school camaro would be nice (I've owned a camaro before), I'd love an old school 911, or a Shelby cobra, or the original SLK AMG body style...and just keep it and drive it on Sunday's - I could even do THIS and retire very happily, because I, you know, work and stuff...

Old 04-29-2017, 07:05 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
A CPO MKVII GTI, 4-door, Autobahn, DSG (double clutch gear box). Then google "apr tune", and for $500 you'll essentially have a hatchback Porsche that can get 30+mpg, haul as much as a mid SUV, carry 4 grown adults, have all the tech, and grin ear to ear for endless miles, regardless of weather (within reason of course).

Nearly same engine as being used in new 718, same gear box technology as in Bugatti/lambo/Porsche, much the same or VERY similar switch gear as in porsche, including steering wheel, world wide rave reviews, and set up by the same guy who setup the current 911 GT3. They really are special cars if you dig a little into their pedigree. I'm on my 3rd in a row, and as hard as I've tried to find something else, even in the $55k-$60k range, I just can't find it that can scratch all the itches for what these little gems can do, so I finally gave up and decided to just buy another car to add to it. Looking for a nice cruiser sedan and will deligate the GTI as the sport car for when I want zip. Currently evaluating a CPO MB E350 sedan (they're like the Honda Accord of Washington DC, lots to choose from and negotiate for).

Last edited by NC211; 04-29-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 07:22 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Cars for Sale: Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG for sale in Ontario, CA 91761: Convertible Details - 455713771 - Autotrader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive