Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 05:10 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Not true at all, as a number of cars I and my friends have built will attest to.

Here's my buddy's previous project completed, a 427 LS7 powered E39 wagon:

Very fast, very fun, and sold for $38k a few months back (he has since sunk that cash into a custom E38 sedan).

And here it is at a local meet with another friend's LS powered 540 sedan.

I also turned a profit on my V8 RX7 that I had for 5 years. It was also worth about double what a stock example would have sold for.
Those are some clean looking swaps. You have to admit that your skill level, and your buddy's skill level, is seldom seen in the average engine swap.

Me, to the OP's question, I would think putting a same year M5 engine in the car (maybe/probably the transmission and rear end "pumpkin" as well, to get the right gearing) would make more sense, and of course the mounts holding the engine in the donor car will be the mounts you will want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 05:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
The OP isn't going to be swapping anything. He posts a lot of pie in the sky type of automotive questions. He did one asking what it would take to get a Suburban to 200mph.

I remember that. But if you got enough money I bet it's doable. Hey they took a GMC Sonoma to 210 mph.

High Performance Trucks - GMC Truck Motorsports Syclone LSR

Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I regret not keeping my Infiniti G35 and LSx swapping that. Car was in great shape other than the high mileage original drivetrain. I sold the car for $1K, but for that short money, I should have just kept it and done an LSx/6spd swap and had some fun with it.

Who cares about resale value in that case. It's all about the fun in doing the swap and having a sort of unique engine combo. Most people who modify cars NEVER get all their money back anyway. I know Coyote 5.0 swapped Foxes are all the rage, fetching over $20K for well done examples. But, by the time you procure the drivetrain, and a clean Fox, you are into it for more than that anyway. I bet that will drop as Coyote 5.0 prices drop as more become available on the market.

But anyway, given the cheapness, and availability of LSx motors, it's no wonder why they are a hot swap. Mount kits are becoming commonplace. I know with regards to my G35 sedan, there was already a kit available that would have had most of what I needed.

A guy at my work has a 2JZ swapped BRZ or FRZ (I forget which) and he complains about all the issues he's had just to try and get the damn thing to run right.

I've also drive a few 5.0 (pushrod) swapped Miatas. One had a KB roots style blower on it. What a fun little car that was.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:17 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Good question. The op is known to start ridiculous threads like this.

Mounts will need to be fabricated. Frankencars never do well. Resale would be non existent. If you could get the car running you'll have more money in to it than you'll ever see from it if you sell.

If you keep it, reliably will be questionable at best.

The Ford V8 in an obscure British sports car seemed to do pretty well.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
unless a good BMW engine can not be sourced, I still wont go for an LS1. First I would look for an M3 or M5 donor engine, or the 4 liter ,keep it in the same family. If not, I would go for a built japanese V6 engine. LS1 is over rated, as is the 4.6 ford swap.

you may even be better off with a turbo or supercharger. going with a LS1 swap, you will also need the tranny, new driveshaft, re gearing, etc... not worth the hassle!!!

I have seen v8 swaps into a miata, very sick, but there is a kit made for this already. the 280/300z have a kit as well.

some good engines for a swap? anything V6 or a turbo/supercharged 4 cyl. 300+ horsepower on the 525 is what you would want to aim for.
me thinks you underestimate the LSx and ford 4.6 engines. both are highly capable engines. i am a ford guy, but i really like the LSx engines(not enough to put one in a ford, but give me something like a 77 pontiac ventura and you can bet i woud swap an LSx in a heartbeat!!).

Old 05-03-2017, 04:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
me thinks you underestimate the LSx and ford 4.6 engines. both are highly capable engines. i am a ford guy, but i really like the LSx engines(not enough to put one in a ford, but give me something like a 77 pontiac ventura and you can bet i woud swap an LSx in a heartbeat!!).
I know some guys with Ford hot rods. They don't have Ford engines in 'em.
Sometimes we go to "All Ford" shows. They leave the hoods closed to hide the bowties.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I know some guys with Ford hot rods. They don't have Ford engines in 'em.
Sometimes we go to "All Ford" shows. They leave the hoods closed to hide the bowties.
that works for other people, and that is fine. just dont expect me to like a mustang with an LSx swap.

and oddly enough i dont mind earlier fords with chevys in them depending on why and when the chevy was installed. for instance, the show trucks on the powerblock did a restoration of an F100 that had been clipped using a nova front subframe and a smallb lock chevy. it was a nice enough truck. i wouldnt mind owning it, though i would prefer a ford in it.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

I've also drive a few 5.0 (pushrod) swapped Miatas. One had a KB roots style blower on it. What a fun little car that was.
Hold My beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive