Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 03:14 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times

Advertisements

vs other lubricants. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 03:27 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
I used to put Royal Purple in all my cars, especially my older ones that need extra Zinc/Phosphorous, but ever since they changed their formulation and went away from the SL rated oils, I stop using them.

Just use any full-syn Castrol or Mobil 1 products, even Amsoil if you can find a dealer. Go to Walmart to find the cheapest Mobil 1 prices. Personally, I never noticed a difference when I used RP in my cars, they never gained any extra HP like they claim.

What did make a difference was the thickness of oils I used in my cars, going from a 5W30 to a 0W40 or even a 20W50 in my Cadillac, help reduces lifter ticking.

For my classics, I use Mobil 1 0W40 for the great European spec oil that has more anti-wear additives than the other weights than Mobil has, and a bottle of ZDDP additive to help reduce valvetrain noise and protection.

So far so good.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I've seen this product used at some aftermarket import car shops. Over the years, I haven't seen a difference in the service lives/mileage of the customer cars they used it in.

For me, the "proof of the pudding" in this type of product is to see it used in Fleet situations where the use of the vehicles is tracked, lots of miles are put on in service, and maintenance records are kept on the fleet.

Durability/performance/longevity and overall cost/mile of the fleet are well documented. In these controlled situations, any automotive product which stands out above the rest is noteworthy; IOW, if this product consistently delivered longer engine service life, cooler running engines, or any other documented performance improvement ... the fleets would be on this in a heartbeat. The bean counters there live on minute fractions of a penny/mile improvements to yield lower operating costs, higher uptime, less unscheduled downtime, longer less expensive service life, etc.

Sales reps for this product have undoubtedly called upon these operators to tout the "advantages" of using it. Likely had a performance guarantee or some such representations about how the fleet engines would perform better, last longer, get better fuel economy, and the high probability that the fleet manager's lawn would be weed free and grow greener yet require less mowing or fertilization or weed treatment than his neighbor's lawns. Even with a lot of swag (pens, notepads, calendars, desk calculators, gym bags, travel bags, "free lunches", tix to ball games, golf tourney sponsorships, etc) to induce a fleet manager to "try this product", how many are using it?

I'm not aware of any fleets using this product. Anybody know of a taxi fleet, a police department, a fire department, a municipal fleet, a sales rep fleet, or any gov't agency fleet using this product?

OTOH, if it makes you feel good to use it in your vehicle, knock yourself out. Enjoy. It looks nice.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:34 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
The formulation for RP oils is ho-hum, boring at best. There's absolutely nothing in the bottle remarkable. The most expensive ingredient in the formulation is the purple dye. RP had it's hand slapped about making claims of more power, fuel mileage, etc. I call it what it is- fraud. This is another one that folks claim will cure Aids and is the best of everything only they have no clue what's in it. Absolutely nothing in it you won't find in a much cheaper oil. Where RP shines is in their industrial lubricants, not in the OTC motor oils.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The formulation for RP oils is ho-hum, boring at best. There's absolutely nothing in the bottle remarkable. The most expensive ingredient in the formulation is the purple dye. RP had it's hand slapped about making claims of more power, fuel mileage, etc. I call it what it is- fraud. This is another one that folks claim will cure Aids and is the best of everything only they have no clue what's in it. Absolutely nothing in it you won't find in a much cheaper oil. Where RP shines is in their industrial lubricants, not in the OTC motor oils.
Agreed.

Amsoil is a much better oil, and can actually back that up. Mobil 1 also has some superior blends.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:18 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I've seen this product used at some aftermarket import car shops. Over the years, I haven't seen a difference in the service lives/mileage of the customer cars they used it in.

For me, the "proof of the pudding" in this type of product is to see it used in Fleet situations where the use of the vehicles is tracked, lots of miles are put on in service, and maintenance records are kept on the fleet.

<delete>...

I'm not aware of any fleets using this product. Anybody know of a taxi fleet, a police department, a fire department, a municipal fleet, a sales rep fleet, or any gov't agency fleet using this product?

OTOH, if it makes you feel good to use it in your vehicle, knock yourself out. Enjoy. It looks nice.
I am working on setting up a test right now to see if we can resolve ongoing issues with lifter failures in a particular engine type in our fleet by using a high quality oil. My personal preference after research is Schaeffer Oil products because they start with a different quality stock before they add anything.

You are correct in the statement that good fleets will track the results of various tests or trials and calculate the return. Most oils are not producing significant enough changes or improvements to warrant the additional expense over a low bid product unless there is a specific application or problem to be solved.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 AM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
My father and some of his friends used Royal Purple in their drag cars back in the day. At the time, there seemed to be a big marketing push to get the name out, Napa auto stores carried it and displayed it prominently, and I think there were a few commercials for it too.

While none of their engines blew up, it didn't provide any benefits that couldn't be achieved by any other high quality oil, and eventually my father switched everything back to Mobil 1, as it was cheaper and easier to find.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:16 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
royal purple is a good oil, like any other oil that meets the standards for the particular classification they stamp on the bottle. is it worth the extra money? i doubt it.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
I had very good success with RP but much better with Amsoil. I don't know a better oil, to be honest. yes, i did Mobil 1 synth included. Amsoil is simply better. ATF too. Expensive but very good.
But now I simply buy O'Reiley full synthetic. Works fine. Or Walmart Supertech.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:49 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times
I still use Royal Purple Synthetic Gear Oil in my manual transmission, but I stopped using their motor oil years ago. Mobil 1 does the job just as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive