Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:47 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Da fu** they do that cost 3 grand?
I swear these so called"techs " now days. You can specifically tell them the problem on a car and they still wont figure it out.
Have it towed back home or find an independent shop with that specializes in Acuras/Hondas with good reviews to check it out. Google is your friend.
That's probably what that dealer wanted was for you to give it up ,offer you pennies for it then re sell it for a profit. Especially if its a clean and well maintained car .
Probably a damn relay.
It really pisses me off about this,I am sorry for your troubles.
You can thank corporate dealer structure and UTI for this.

I've yet to meet a UTI or wyotech grad that could fix anything more complicated than a sandwhich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 03:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You can thank corporate dealer structure and UTI for this.

I've yet to meet a UTI or wyotech grad that could fix anything more complicated than a sandwhich.
So let me understand. UTI and Wyotech mechanics are former Subway sandwich artists?

Old 05-13-2017, 04:02 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So let me understand. UTI and Wyotech mechanics are former Subway sandwich artists?
The ones I've had great displeasure of holding hands yes.

When the service manager would approach me with some starry eyed kid with a basic tool set whos attended those overpriced schools claiming he's a new diesel tech I just grin and go back to work shaking my head. I know what's coming next...

They last 2 weeks before they go crying because I don't play nice.

Dealers love them because they come out with manufacturer certification which is a piece of paper that states you can take an open book test and pass, and repair an engine on a stand, or be able to figure out what a diagnostic trouble code means.

That piece of paper means you can do warranty work, the hourly kids who show promise, I'll work with them all the time. They ask questions. Not pretend to know everything then load up the parts gun spray and pray.

Trust me. Dealers screw both sides of the fence. I have to remind the manager I am not a baby sitter nor a teacher. If he wants me to teach these dummies he needs to compensate me accordingly.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:14 PM

609 posts, read 506,036 times
Thanks all for the responses.
I looked at the prices of used cars at that dealership and around ... any car in my price range looked like garbage.
Has anyone ever used a car transport company?
Anyone knows a good one that's reliable and runs in the South East of the USA? (NC, SC, GA, VA)?
I got decent quotes to get the car from the current dealership to the folks who usually work on the car.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Thanks all for the responses.
I looked at the prices of used cars at that dealership and around ... any car in my price range looked like garbage.
Has anyone ever used a car transport company?
Anyone knows a good one that's reliable and runs in the South East of the USA? (NC, SC, GA, VA)?
I got decent quotes to get the car from the current dealership to the folks who usually work on the car.
Long distance 300 mile? Rent a truck and a car dolly for two days. Or if you got a buddy with a truck....throw some cash at him.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The ones I've had great displeasure of holding hands yes.

When the service manager would approach me with some starry eyed kid with a basic tool set whos attended those overpriced schools claiming he's a new diesel tech I just grin and go back to work shaking my head. I know what's coming next...

They last 2 weeks before they go crying because I don't play nice.

Dealers love them because they come out with manufacturer certification which is a piece of paper that states you can take an open book test and pass, and repair an engine on a stand, or be able to figure out what a diagnostic trouble code means.

That piece of paper means you can do warranty work, the hourly kids who show promise, I'll work with them all the time. They ask questions. Not pretend to know everything then load up the parts gun spray and pray.

Trust me. Dealers screw both sides of the fence. I have to remind the manager I am not a baby sitter nor a teacher. If he wants me to teach these dummies he needs to compensate me accordingly.

My buddy is a Dodge trans guy. He says the same thing as you do about the new kids. Some are know it alls some want to learn. In my trade I get the same thing. The know it alls don't last either. I don't mind training them but the know it alls get on my nerves too

Old 05-13-2017, 05:43 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
One suggestion. Tell the shop you're not paying for them to guess the problem.

I always keep/hold a spare key and FOB at all times at unknown shops.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:40 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
An Acura dealership can properly diagnose the problem for you. If you are thinking of keeping the car get it to Acura, not Honda. Yes of course Acura is owned by Honda, but they are NOT equal,nor are their techs.

Sounds to me like the original problem was not that severe but you had an incompetent dufus work on it and who knows what he's done to it. I would do whatever I had to do to get my car, then go after the mechanic with a good attorney. Especially after someone who knows what they're doing proves that it didn't need all those parts.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
$3000 on a 2005 car? Not me. Even if they fixed it I would hesitate. I know what you're thinking. I am only a X dollars from getting the car back on the road. I've done that too but like the cavalry, that they will never come. I have a 98 Explorer in the driveway right now that no one can figure out what's wrong. I am out $250 on a diagnoses that didn't find anything but I stopped the bleeding.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I always keep/hold a spare key and FOB at all times at unknown shops.
They can still place a lien on the car. You signed for the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive