Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:12 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
And lack of full service (except in NJ)
And OR...but not really full service in the old timey sense of cleaning your windshield, checking oil, etc.

Wonder if OR and NJ will mandate only an attendant can connect chargers to cars in the event they ever become the majority over gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 04:20 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Problem at the moment for electric vehicles is charging times, 20-30 minutes just won't cut it with most consumers...
You're right, I wouldn't want to charge an electric at a station. For a small commuter vehicle expected to travel no more than 50 miles / day, many consumers will have more like 10 hours for charging every night in their garage or carport. At my company, there are about 30 spots in the parking garage for daytime charging.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:40 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Gas stations really haven't changed much in 40 years with the exception of credit cards at the pump, some TVs at the pump, and dirtier bathrooms.
I realize there could be geographical differences, but in my region, I would argue gas stations have changed significantly over the last 40 years.

In 1977, the typical gas station offered the traditional full service treatment, with fuel dispensed by attendants, who would also offer to check tire pressure and oil/washer fluid level. Many also has a self-serve island, so you could dispense your own gas and save a couple of cents a gallon. The station had service bays, restrooms (key to use available on request) and a small cashier's office that sold a few snacks and some cold beverages. As an alternative and to a lesser extent, some convenience stores had a small self-serve fuel island, usually a two-dispenser affair that offered no-name gas.

Today in my metro of over 2M population, I can think of only three of the traditional full-service gas stations with service bays left. The convenience store concept has completely taken over, with much larger fuel islands and convenience stores that in some cases have fast-food franchises in them. Many of them sell name brand fuels, also. I have yet to see any with TV screens at the pump islands, though.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Swapping batteries sounds good. But in reality, I'm never gonna swap my brand new battery for someone else's worn out battery.
Batteries all have unique ID's. Tesla's battery swap machine is the future. I think the only piece they are missing is the one you mention.

But with just a little software tweek, you can have it set up so that 'your' battery is left behind at a change, and the software at the change station, waits until a car comes in that is headed back to your home state/town and loads your battery onto that car to carry it 'home' for you. When you return to town, you go for another swap where your car is located and it is returned to you. That should satisfy most people concerned about "losing" their battery.

Also, I would imagine that as the technology advances, a battery changing station will be able to test each battery as it is swapped and those with x dead cells will be pulled out of line and repaired. In this way, all batteries will always be in excellent shape and you can't get a 'bad' one.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
It looks like a comfort station on the Interstate. Who doesn't love stopping at those?!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think the car sharing thing is going to be the Segway of our time.
In reality only 1% of the population will ever give up a car and strictly live by car sharing.

Gas stations really haven't changed much in 40 years with the exception of credit cards at the pump, some TVs at the pump, and dirtier bathrooms.
Might want to tell GM that, given they are designing cars like the Bolt specifically for car sharing.

I think you are out of touch from where transportation is going, especially for urban millennials. Although things may not change for small town / rural America, that is not where most Americans live. And with high housing costs, high insurance, student loans, soaring medical insurance, and stagnant wages if you can find a job, young urban people are moving rapidly away from cars.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:33 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I have yet to see any with TV screens at the pump islands, though.
Seriously? In my area, most Shells look like this.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:53 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Seriously? In my area, most Shells look like this.
Never seen anything like that.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
You're right, I wouldn't want to charge an electric at a station. For a small commuter vehicle expected to travel no more than 50 miles / day, many consumers will have more like 10 hours for charging every night in their garage or carport. At my company, there are about 30 spots in the parking garage for daytime charging.
Sounds ideal for those commuters who have a garage and carport but many of us live in apartment buildings and have to park our cars on the street where there is no provision for overnight charging.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:39 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Problem at the moment for electric vehicles is charging times, 20-30 minutes just wont cut it with most consumers and they will opt for a fuel efficient gas powered car that can be filled with gas in 5 minutes and then be capable of 300+ miles.
People will plug them in overnight, and they will be ready to go in the morning. The only thing that needs to be fixed is the range. Once the range of electric cars hits 1000 miles or so, charging time will be irrelevant. Until then, they can also charge them while they stop to eat. The car can charge while the driver eats lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive