Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When you consider how fast the cars depreciate, having detailed receipts for every oil change and other service proving they were done on time is not going to net much more in the way of resale.

Well, for my BMW, receipts for the "big ticket" common items, like timing chain guides and cooling system components can be the difference between getting $2-4k for the car and $8-10k for the car come resale time. Proof that oil changes and other minor service were done on schedule back up the fact that these were done proactively and not after catastrophic failure. The car has technically hit the bottom of it's depreciation curve and now maintenance records are the difference between top dollar and scrap pricing for the same exact car. The more miles it gets on it, the more this is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Some people, when buying a used car, appreciate repair and maintenance records.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:02 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
When I buy a car I always start a file folder where I put all the parts and repair receipts related to that car. When I sold the car I'd send the folder along with it. I didn't make a big deal of it, I would usually just tuck it under the seat.

That changed about 15 years ago when I sold a 200,000 mile Bonneville dirt cheap. Every time something went wrong with the car that there was a receipt for he would call me up and ask me to call the parts store and tell them he was going to come in and exchange the part for me. The first couple of times I went along with it because the parts failed right after he bought it. When it became clear that it was never going to end I stopped answering.

These days I still keep a file, but I don't give it to the buyer. I'll show it to him if he asks or if I want to show that a major system repair has recently been done, but they don't go with the car unless it's something with a transferable warranty.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:04 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
keep all receipts as long as you keep the car. Then jettison the file

Old 05-25-2017, 01:11 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Some people might like it from a private party sale perspective. Having Maintenance records is that proves the car was maintained is a "feel good" type thing that proves the vehicles history.
It also might turn out to be useful with warranty claims. I typically put a 7 year/100k extended warranty on my cars. I don't use one dealership exclusively and there's no telling if I'd be able to reconstruct the service records if I didn't keep the paper receipts.

I just fold them in half and put them in the folio in the glove box the dealer gave me that has all the new car stuff I got day #1.

I sold a car privately once with 142,000 miles on it. I had every service receipt. That doesn't mean I didn't flog the car but I at least for sure could show I did all the fluid changes and timing belt when I was supposed to.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:02 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
I keep every receipt that I have for a vehicle except for things like wiper blades, light bulbs, etc...

I usually present those in a folder to the buyer when I am ready to sell. I've usually gotten my asking price when doing that because it shows that all of the maintenance has been kept up to date so there aren't any hidden surprises.

When I buy a vehicle, if there are no receipts to prove that maintenance has been kept up I will lowball the seller because to me it presents a risk of the unknown. If they don't accept my lowball offer I will move on until I either find someone who will, or who has their receipts.

As an example, I purchased a 2003 Mustang GT premium back in 2011 with 90k miles on it. I bought it from the original owner and it came with every receipt and even the original window sticker and all of the brochures. The owner had done some light modification to the car and had receipts where he had the work performed to show that he used a reputable Mustang shop to do the work. I paid his asking price (which was low anyhow). I sold the car a year or so later after a rafting accident and actually made money on the car because I continued to keep the receipts.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Although I tend to keep my vehicles far longer than average . . .

There's nothing better than a file folder full of receipts reflecting both repairs and maintenance over the years when it comes to obtaining the best price on sale day.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:08 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
I agree - I keep everything except stuff like bulbs and wiper blades. Good for resale.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
I have a folder for every car. Any receipts for that car go in that folder. I keep a maintenance book for each car too. Receipts prove what's in the book.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:40 AM

18 posts, read 17,474 times
You can scan them or copy several on a page and scan & email to yourself.
(If you want to get rid of the receipts but want to keep a record of them).

Any future oil changes, you can take a picture with your phone or scan right then and throw away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive