Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:13 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,507,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
My position is what is a mechanic that is doing a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) going to do above and beyond the eye/smell/test drive test that the buyer should be doing?

Take out the obvious things to look for (oil leaks, creaks, vibration, etc) what is a PPI going to discover to give buyer true piece of mind? That they need to change the air filter and oil? They'll basically say wear items are wearing and need to be replaced soon . I think I can check the door locks and wipers and lights myself.

I'll take the maintenance records and test drive as a better litmus test.
Well ok good for you. But what about the vast majority of people that don't know beans about a car?
That is what we are talking about here...not everyone knows what to look for when buying a used car. The best way to find out is hire a mechanic that knows what to look for...not trust some goober that changed the oil on his uncle's lawnmower one time and calls himself a mechanic.
True, you cannot predict when an electrical device is going to fail or a transmission, but you can look for obvious things that tell you that something could fail in the future.

If you know some basic things to look for when inspecting a car, that's fine, but most people don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,178,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
How very sexist of you. There ARE women out there who know cars, or have the willingness to learn about them, and who will gladly backhand anyone who talks down to them and insults their intelligence.

I would be one of them. At 23 years old I was spending my summers off from college pumping gas and diesel on the NYS Thruway and part of that job required asking folks if they wanted their oil checked. So I was getting under hoods and checking engine fluids, much to the amazement of some of the drivers (roll eyes).
BS. Of course there are women who are knowledgeable of cars.

What is the percentage of women who know about and work on cars vs the percentage of men? I would put it to you that there is a DRASTIC difference. Calling me sexist is a BS claim based on those percentages. You can try to be PC on this mater if you like.

The fact is that women are NOT mechanics on the same level as men.

Women mechanics make strides
  • In 1989, there were 880,000 automobile service and repair technicians. 6,000 (0.6818%) of them were women.
  • In 1999, there were 837,000 automobile service and repair technicians. 12,000 (1.433%) were women.
- Source: U.S. Department of Labor

There is a huge difference between being sexist and being factual.
  • A sexist person would say "Women are not capable - for whatever reason - of being mechanics."
  • A factual person would say that "for whatever reason, women are NOT knowledgeable about cars mechanics."

To claim that someone is the first because they reference the FACTS of the second is a lie perpetrated for political or social expedience and is beneath the claimant. I never said women can't; I said women "DON'T" and that is born out by facts.

https://womenautoknow.com/women-auto-repair/

I guess she is sexist too.

http://www.drivers.com/article/521/

BTW, if anyone is curious. I am loading this particular post with FACTS before someone gets it closed down and I cannot respond to a close minded statement.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-08-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
They are treated worse at dealerships and mechanical shops because of sexist attitudes like the one you displayed. Don't be part of the problem.

I know more about cars than my husband. He has been ripped off by shops far more than I have. They try with me, but I call them out on it (and usually go to a different shop).
And you believe you are the norm?

Old 06-08-2017, 11:36 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,446,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
And you believe you are the norm?
I believe more women know about cars than men think. We just don't feel the need to talk about cars as much. And I believe less men know about cars than men think. Subscribing to the belief otherwise just perpetuates a negative stereotype, which doesn't benefit anyone.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I believe more women know about cars than men think. We just don't feel the need to talk about cars as much. And I believe less men know about cars than men think. Subscribing to the belief otherwise just perpetuates a negative stereotype, which doesn't benefit anyone.
Statistics show that 33% of women do some work on cars. How much work and what that consists of is up for grabs. 30 years ago I had a friend who helped me pull a transmission. It is rare that any sunday mechanic will do that and and even more rare that a women (as the friend in discussion is) would.

I don't worry about perpetuating a negative stereotype because I have not. As I said, I have stated facts (as are currently known) and defended myself against false claims. My suggestion remains that more people - especially women (because fewer do) - should do work on their own cars stands.

Still. You didn't answer the question, you avoided it.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-08-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 12:04 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,628,267 times
Quote:
Once every 12 months, and you get a windshield sticker that states the month and year for the next inspection. They are a different color every year, so you can tell at a glance who's had it done and who hasn't. The one they used last year was blue, and I think this year's is gray. I'm not due for mine for another 2 months.

It takes about an hour. I think the fee is $21. I haven't paid for an inspection since 2009, because I bought my present car in September of that year and got the dealership's Platinum Card that included 20 free oil changes and free NYS inspections for as long as I own it.

Yearly inspection isn't such a bad thing. A lot of issues get caught that way.
I wish we had somewhere around here that would do an inspection like that for $21 or even $40. Without the certification and requirements to repair, of course.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,446,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Statistics show that 33% of women do some work on cars. How much work and what that consists of is up for grabs. 30 years ago I had a friend who helped me pull a transmission. It is rare that any sunday mechanic will do that and and even more rare that a women (as the friend in discussion is) would.

I don't worry about perpetuating a negative stereotype because I have not. As I said, I have stated facts (as are currently known) and defended myself against false claims. My suggestion remains that more people - especially women (because fewer do) - should do work on their own cars stands.

Still. You didn't answer the question, you avoided it.
What percentage of men do some work on cars?

Technically, I don't do any work on my own cars. But I grew up in a relatively poor family. We couldn't afford new cars or to pay someone to fix the ones we had. So we did everything ourselves. I helped. That's how I learned.

Fast forward to now. I'm doing pretty well financially. I have absolutely no desire to do any work on my car. Could I? Sure. Do I? Nope. Happy to pay someone else to do it. Only thing I've done on my own car is change the battery.

So I know a fair amount about cars, but I fall into the category of women who don't do any work on cars.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,963,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
While true, the majority don't. And women ARE treated worse at dealerships and mechanical shops and most don't know when they are being ripped off.
Ironically, I had a woman service writer try to rip me off once. At the place where I go for my oil changes, that's why once I use up the 20th and last free one, I'm going elsewhere. My attitude about that place is that they can do the free stuff (which I paid for when I bought the car) but anything they find wrong is going to be actually taken care of somewhere else. At a place where the guy doing the paperwork has hands as filthy as the guys who are actually doing the work.

They had stripped the threads from my oil pan, and she was not only telling me I needed a new pan, she was also trying to talk me into buying a new car from them!! I wouldn't do that either, because when this car was purchased they screwed up the NYS sales tax amount.

I work with a lot of guys who know cars, and did my research, coming to the right conclusion that the damage is their fault (they've been the only people to touch that oil pan since 2009). When I told her I wasn't going to authorize the replacement she came back with "well, I'll have to research what Chrysler makes their pans out of."

I ripped her a new one. She's lucky it was over the phone, or the whole dealership would have heard me embarrassing the **** out of her. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what kind of metal the pan is made out of, the damage happens when you put the plug in wrong, and/or force it using a power tool. I seriously doubt this woman has any mechanical experience whatsoever, much less an auto mechanics degree (and there is a local college that offers that program, because one of my brothers went through it).

They agreed to rethread the pan, which is what they should have offered to start with. Don't jump to the most expensive, extensive repair unless it is absolutely necessary. But I avoid that service writer like the plague now, there is only one I will work with, and i won't make an appointment unless I know he is going to be there.

The place I went to for my tires and an alignment on Tuesday, now, they showed me respect and didn't talk down to me. Even walked me into the shop to show me my tie rod ends were going bad. There I was, with the wheel well at eye level and the wheel off, and I'm looking at the rotor and the brake. I thought it was cool, and wondered if I maybe missed my calling. When I balked at the price of the whole job, because they recommended the more expensive, better-quality ends, they knocked off the price of the alignment. $620 became $533. Now I have to pay off my credit card, because the word "brakes" came up in the final conversation. My annual state inspection is in 2 months, so...

I wish this place was closer. I've bought 2 sets of 4 tires, had several rotations done, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Plus, I don't have to feel weird bringing a PT Cruiser to a Honda dealership service shop.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 06-08-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 02:59 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,745,531 times
Quote:
Ironically, I had a woman service writer try to rip me off once. At the place where I go for my oil changes, that's why once I use up the 20th and last free one, I'm going elsewhere. My attitude about that place is that they can do the free stuff (which I paid for when I bought the car) but anything they find wrong is going to be actually taken care of somewhere else. At a place where the guy doing the paperwork has hands as filthy as the guys who are actually doing the work.

They had stripped the threads from my oil pan, and she was not only telling me I needed a new pan, she was also trying to talk me into buying a new car from them!! I wouldn't do that either, because when this car was purchased they screwed up the NYS sales tax amount.

I work with a lot of guys who know cars, and did my research, coming to the right conclusion that the damage is their fault (they've been the only people to touch that oil pan since 2009). When I told her I wasn't going to authorize the replacement she came back with "well, I'll have to research what Chrysler makes their pans out of."

I ripped her a new one. She's lucky it was over the phone, or the whole dealership would have heard me embarrassing the **** out of her. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what kind of metal the pan is made out of, the damage happens when you put the plug in wrong, and/or force it using a power tool. I seriously doubt this woman has any mechanical experience whatsoever, much less an auto mechanics degree (and there is a local college that offers that program, because one of my brothers went through it).

They agreed to rethread the pan, which is what they should have offered to start with. Don't jump to the most expensive, extensive repair unless it is absolutely necessary. But I avoid that service writer like the plague now, there is only one I will work with, and i won't make an appointment unless I know he is going to be there.

The place I went to for my tires and an alignment on Tuesday, now, they showed me respect and didn't talk down to me. Even walked me into the shop to show me my tie rod ends were going bad. There I was, with the wheel well at eye level and the wheel off, and I'm looking at the rotor and the brake. I thought it was cool, and wondered if I maybe missed my calling. When I balked at the price of the whole job, because they recommended the more expensive, better-quality ends, they knocked off the price of the alignment. $620 became $533. Now I have to pay off my credit card, because the word "brakes" came up in the final conversation. My annual state inspection is in 2 months, so...

I wish this place was closer. I've bought 2 sets of 4 tires, had several rotations done, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Plus, I don't have to feel weird bringing a PT Cruiser to a Honda dealership service shop.
More reason to do it yourself

Old 06-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
What percentage of men do some work on cars?

Technically, I don't do any work on my own cars. But I grew up in a relatively poor family. We couldn't afford new cars or to pay someone to fix the ones we had. So we did everything ourselves. I helped. That's how I learned.

Fast forward to now. I'm doing pretty well financially. I have absolutely no desire to do any work on my car. Could I? Sure. Do I? Nope. Happy to pay someone else to do it. Only thing I've done on my own car is change the battery.

So I know a fair amount about cars, but I fall into the category of women who don't do any work on cars.
The article I quoted states that the percentage of DIY households has remained steady (but it does not say at what total percentage) and of those people. 33% of the DIY people are female. Jobs performed by the majority of these women as "maintenance" generally consists of not much... But I give them and all people who do any maintenance credit.

"Most female DIYers (62 percent) do light maintenance, which includes changing the oil, rotating tires, checking and refilling fluids and changing or replacing wipers and batteries. One fourth of female DIYers tackle medium maintenance jobs such as installing new brakes; draining, flushing and refilling the cooling system; replacing ignition parts; installing mufflers or exhaust systems; and replacing shock absorbers. And you have to wonder what they're thinking about."

So, by my reading far fewer than 7 (seven) percent of female owners are doing any real maintenance. (7% of the DIY households - of which the percentage of all households is not know. I will be generous and say 30%. The resulting math shows ... not much maintenance being done my women.

I have now answered a few of your question. I assume you do not intend on answering mine. But that's OK.

Edit:

I am surprised. This article says up to 48% of households are doing their own maintenance.

Report: 48% Of Owners More Likely To Repair Their Own Cars Using The Web – Adweek

That brings the number of women doing it up to about 4%.

Anyway. There is no requirement for you or anyone to do any maintenance. My point from the beginning has been that everyone - especially women, of whom I know many who get ripped off much worse than men - could benefit from knowing a little more about cars.

On a happy note, my new meter has arrived in the mail and I will now go out and try to figure out what is wrong with my brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying an used car - do private sellers really let me take vehicles to a mechanic to check?-meter.jpg  

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-08-2017 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive