Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:42 PM

17,386 posts, read 15,545,008 times

Advertisements

2007 Dodge Ram (POS... SILs truck)

AC is not blowing cold at all. Here is what's happening: the compressor stays on like it should. The line coming out (high) is very hot going into the condenser, and very cold coming out of the orifice valve and into the evaporator. The low pressure coming back out is lukewarm. All sounds good, right? Seems like everything is circulating as it should. But there is no old air whatsoever inside the cab. Pressure is a tad bit on the low side, but within the working zone, so it should at least have some "cool" air coming out. If I change the temp to hot, hot air flows just fine, so I'm guessing the blend door is working. But why no cold air? Are there two doors? Is there a one for the AC that could be stuck shut? Where do I begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 09:30 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,510,267 times
Blend door actuator go south? Getting water puddles under it? May have a mouse nest in the evaporator box. I had that happen once with a Cadillac. And yes old people owned it, and it sat in their garage more than it was ever driven.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,912,672 times
i also think that you have a blend door that isnt operating properly. it might work nicely with the heater, but not so well with the a/c. it might be a bad actuator preventing the door from opening properly in the correct direction.

another issue you might have to deal with is the evaporator core freezing over. you mentioned system pressures being a bit low but still in the operable range, that leads me to think the evap core is in fact freezing over and blocking air from flowing through it properly. it doesnt have to fully freeze over to cause the problem you have. a partial freeze over will allow enough air to come out of the vents, but it will be luke warm because the core cant exchange enough air to remove enough heat from the cabin, so you feel warm air flowing out the vents.

one more possibility, though it is rare that it happens, the refrigerant might have gone sour. it happened to a friend of mines car once. it wouldnt blow cold air, but once the system was serviced, and fresh refrigerant installed, the air was blowing ice cold again.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,973,354 times
Pretty simple to diagnose. Take the heater hose off of the heater core so that it doesn't get hot. You can reroute it back to the engine or plug it. If it gets cold, the blend door is sticking open. You can fix this two ways. You can take it to the dealer and have it fixed with new parts. Or, you can go to Lowes and buy a quarter turn valve and put it inline in the hot side of the heater hose. You can then turn off the hot coolant from the heater core and when you need heat during the winter, just turn it on. Costs less than 15 bucks with the valve, fittings, and hose clamps.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,496,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Pretty simple to diagnose. Take the heater hose off of the heater core so that it doesn't get hot. You can reroute it back to the engine or plug it. If it gets cold, the blend door is sticking open. You can fix this two ways. You can take it to the dealer and have it fixed with new parts. Or, you can go to Lowes and buy a quarter turn valve and put it inline in the hot side of the heater hose. You can then turn off the hot coolant from the heater core and when you need heat during the winter, just turn it on. Costs less than 15 bucks with the valve, fittings, and hose clamps.
Just clamp it instead of taking it off

Old 06-06-2017, 09:00 AM

712 posts, read 845,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Just clamp it instead of taking it off
x3 - since you say '...The low pressure coming back out is lukewarm...' leads me to think evap is being hit with HOT air from heater coil.

IF evap was froze over or blocked with leaves/rats nest, the low pressure coming back out would be FREEZING COLD and it's not, so the evap is 'giving up its cold' somewhere.

Sounds like air blend is stuck in 'defrost' mode (heating air with AC on to 'dehumidify' )

Old 06-07-2017, 11:23 AM

941 posts, read 3,916,696 times
On old Mopars, what I find a lot of time is that the foam used to seal the hoses and passages for HVAC crumble, blowing air everywhere except the vents. Check around the dash for stray air.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times
Dodge has a check valve that is supposed to cut AC at full throttle. Both both my ram and Dakota had issues and needed a check valve replaced. The check valve is a vacuum check valve. On my Dakota it was somewhere around the firewall at the steering column.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:46 PM

17,386 posts, read 15,545,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Dodge has a check valve that is supposed to cut AC at full throttle. Both both my ram and Dakota had issues and needed a check valve replaced. The check valve is a vacuum check valve. On my Dakota it was somewhere around the firewall at the steering column.
Interesting... But wouldn't it shut the compressor off? It stays on.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:55 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,164,952 times
Some major shops, like pep boys will give you a free check and estimate, just saying.

Also, is air blowing in as normal, maybe you have accumalation from the fall/ winter? Are your freon levels ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive