Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 PM

29 posts, read 140,802 times

Advertisements

I know what swirl marks look like obviously but what are they?

What causes them?

How do I fix them?

How do I prevent them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Small amounts of paint coming off the vehicle and other dirt/debris. I assume that you noticed it after washing/waxing the vehicle??? To avoid/eliminate this condition you need to use a good rubbing compound to get as much of that stuff off the paint as possible.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,829 times
It's caused by very fine scratches on the clearcoat.

You can prevent it by not going to car washes where the guy uses a mitt to wash some dirty SUV and its wheels, then uses the same mitt to wash your car! Always wash the car yourself using multiple buckets and towels/mitts. The other reason to not go to a car wash is that your paint and brakes will be hot and then they spray cold water on it!!! BAD

To remove swirls you need a fine polish and ideally a random orbit polisher. You could do it by hand but it's very tiring. Do not use rubbing compound like the guy above said!!! That is for deep scratches not swirls

Honestly this is a detailed subject. Your best bet is to go to an automotive detailing forum. I don't feel like typing a 3000 word essay

Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Its light swirls in the paint. Caused by dirty sponge, harsh towels or brushes while washing.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
I use Swirl X and it works pretty good.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:16 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Small amounts of paint coming off the vehicle and other dirt/debris. I assume that you noticed it after washing/waxing the vehicle??? To avoid/eliminate this condition you need to use a good rubbing compound to get as much of that stuff off the paint as possible.
I would advise against using rubbing compound

Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Swirls are very shallow scratches in the clear coat. I think it is impossible to avoid them entirely in a car driven often simply because you are out in the real world. The real world of driving subjects your car to all kinds of dirt flying around. Some of it will cause swirl-like scratches.

Lots of these fine scratches are self-induced though:

- running your vehicle through a car wash that touches your car with any kind of brush (including those flat strips of fabric).
- not using two buckets when hand washing. With one bucket, each time you put that dirty sponge back in the bucket you are putting dirt in the wash soap. And when you rub the sponge washing your car, you scratch it.
- dry-washing a car with a gimmick product

Waxing a car hides some of these scratches because the wax fills in the scratch and makes it less visible.

To remove swirls you will need to polish or gently abrade the clear coat. Rubbing compound is far too abrasive. So you want to use a mild abrasive, designed for swirls, and probably use a random orbital tool with a foam pad.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
It's also caused by those who wax in a circular motion. Waxing back and forth gives you better results.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
In auto body/paint circles, "swirl marks" are caused by buffers- hence the "swirl". Swirl marks are sometimes called holograms because of the way they look and "move" depending on where your standing/moving and the direction of light.
Eliminating them is an art form. It's a combination of sanding, buffing, and polishing- getting progressively finer in grit.

Other arbitrary "swirl" type marks- those mentioned previously like washing etc., can be minimized by using a clay bar. Clay bars lift the contaminates, that cause the swirls, out of the paint.

Preventing swirl marks is a combination of the above and keeping a good wax coat on the vehicle. And not just any kind of wax- find a car wax with the highest percentage of Carnauba in it.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
swirl marls can also be caused by poor paint prep work as well, IE sanding in arcs and circles rather than in straight lines with a sanding board, and not using a fine enough paper on the final sanding before applying paint. they can also be caused by final color sanding, again using the wrong technique or too coarse of paper.

to get rid of swirl marks, you want to use a fine polishing compound, and then a glazing compound before you apply a final coat of wax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive