Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:40 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Sheesh where are you located that cars rust that bad? I am in the Midwest where they use salt and cars do rust if you do not wash them in the winter. However some are negligent and it takes a few years to see a lot of rust on vehicles.
This product has become my best friend:
Permatex 81849 - Rust Treatment | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Midwest humidity combined with pollutants cause rust, even when being diligent at the car wash. Undercoatings help, but of course can only be applied before rust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
I'm a 59 year-old doctor, we deliberately drive unassuming cars.The surgeons drive flashy cars. I have a 2005 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab and a 2007 Hyundai Sonata.
Yep the surgeon lot at work has 12 cylinder Mercedes, Ferraris, Tesla, BMW M cars.

Most of the other Docs drive Subaru Foresters, Prius, Toyota RAV, etc... just from looking out the window this morning...

It would seem from the posts the definition of junk varies... my car has been called junk or a Hoopte by some and a collector car people stop me and offer to buy...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-12-2017 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
Well, it's not really a 'piece of junk'.. 2000 Mazda Protege I originally bought for my daughter. Now she lives in the city, doesn't need a car so it's mine.

Has 165,000 miles on it.. a few dents but mostly clean. Had major engine work done soon after I bought it, had a.c. fixed, other than that, just oil changes and dealing with the occasional CEL.

I love watching the Motortrend tv show, Top Gear, read all the reviews of the latest and greatest vehicles.
And I've got enough $$ to buy a nice new Jag, BMW, etc.

But I would stress out after the first shopping cart scratch or dent. And my Protege does everthing I need a car for, without worrying about it being damaged.

Anyone else out there feel the same way? Love the newest and flashiest cars and suv's, but choose to stick with an old and modest car?
There is a middle ground. I have a 2010 Passat with 110K on it and I consider it a luxury car with a lot of room inside (and trunk), good manners (fun to drive) and very decent MPG (30+ on highway).

I never would want to "step up" to some nameplate for the sake of it...a minivan will usually do more than an SUV unless hauling boats is your main job.

At this point I am trying to wait for a self-driving car before I buy another. I truly believe the safety aspect will be worth a few extra bucks. It doesn't have to be complete autopilot, but at least most of the way there. Volvo says 2020. Tesla says now for their fancy models and maybe 2018 for the new one (if I ordered now).

Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 AM

772 posts, read 936,100 times
There's definitely something mentally refreshing about driving a car where you don't care what happens to it. We have nice cars and we have a family beater car... a 2002 Town and Country with ~140k miles. My father gave it to me as we were always borrowing it to haul things that wouldn't fit in our SUV, and he got a new minivan.

Can park it anywhere, put anything in it, don't worry about door dings, fender benders, etc. All our other cars, if get a dent or scratch, we get it taken care of very quickly. This car, we don't bother, because that's what it's for. It's intended to take the abuse from things that we wouldn't subject our other cars to.

We just drive our nice cars to nice places, and for the mundane stuff, we take the T&C.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I assure you that you won't go to the grave happy that you DIDN'T buy those Jags and BMWs.
That depends on one's priorities. It is possible to regret too austere and ascetic of a life, missing out on opportunities; or on the contrary, to indulge too much and to be too profligate.

Quote:
Feature for feature the KIA keeps up with the Mercedes, down to the folding side mirrors. But that's not the point, is it? The KIA is missing one important part; the three-pointed star.
Quote:
ES350 is head and shoulder above the Benz.
The Lexus E350 is probably more luxurious and better-built than the Benz. And "feature for feature", the Kia is no slouch either. But they're all missing something crucial: RWD. If you want a conventional longitudinally-mounted engine in the front, a transmission behind it, followed by a driveshaft, a rear differential and power sent (only) to the real wheels, well, there aren't many options besides those unfortunately carry a prestige-premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Why is teh choice only between a new flashy car and an old beater? Why not an older flashy car? ...

I'll never drive an unassuming beater if I can help it. I've ALWAYS had custom cars or sports cars. And I always keep them nice, even if they are daily drivers.
But one could do both… have a collection of memorable, exciting cars – but daily-drive an economical beater. The appeal of the beater, is that does not fret over damage, wear, rust or the various exigencies of daily operation… while preserving the good-condition of one’s prized possessions.

As a "car guy", I'd hate to have only quotidian appliances in my stable. But I relish the freedom of driving beaters, not worrying about what might happen to them.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:18 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
At this point I am trying to wait for a self-driving car before I buy another.
Buy another car. You've got plenty of time.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:18 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Well, it's not really a 'piece of junk'.. 2000 Mazda Protege I originally bought for my daughter. Now she lives in the city, doesn't need a car so it's mine.

Has 165,000 miles on it.. a few dents but mostly clean. Had major engine work done soon after I bought it, had a.c. fixed, other than that, just oil changes and dealing with the occasional CEL.

I love watching the Motortrend tv show, Top Gear, read all the reviews of the latest and greatest vehicles.

But I would stress out after the first shopping cart scratch or dent. And my Protege does everthing I need a car for, without worrying about it being damaged.

Anyone else out there feel the same way? Love the newest and flashiest cars and suv's, but choose to stick with an old and modest car?
If I had that car I would keep it too, but I would for sure keep my AAA coverage paid up, and I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it on the interstate with its high mileage and limited horsepower.

I have a black 2002 Crown Vic Sport that I drive occasionally that I keep as my 'backup' ride, doesn't look as awesome as it did when I bought it new, but 15 Ohio winters will do that to you.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:19 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:

Yes and No. I have a company car, so it is of course a respectful, modest vehicle, and its a wonderful benefit to my job.

I love TG, like Car and Driver and Road and Track and RCR youtube channel. I like seeing reviews of the Mercedes C Class or BMW 3 series even if I won't own one because it isn't a good car for me.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:09 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Liability limits pay when you injure a third party. Personally, I'm more concerned with my family members or myself being injured by a person with a little or no insurance.

One common mistake people make when they buy insurance is to imagine that the only damages they suffer in a personal injury accident is medical expense. Many people with severe injuries are unable to work again. Or, at least, to go back to the job they had. Those high limits of uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage are there to pay for things like lost earnings, permanent disability, pain and suffering, as well as for medical expenses.

I have good health insurance too. It doesn't stop me from realizing I need high limits of UIM and UM coverage on my car. We insure a 2013 Ford Explorer, a 2016 Ford Escape, a 2008 Ford Focus, and a 2016 Chevrolet Spark. The two latter vehicles are my kid's cars. I insist my kids have this coverage as well because they are more likely to need it than me.

Don't get me wrong. If someone purchases that amount of insurance that complies with the law that's all they have to do.

I've just found that only doing what you have to do can really come around and bite you in the butt.
isn't it cheaper if you just buy term life/accidental insurance? instead of increasing the cost of your car insurance?

Old 06-12-2017, 02:49 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
I have both - a nice sports car and a beater. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Take the beater to the mall, drive throughs, for street parking.

Take the sports car to events, the beach, the airport. '

I'd argue that if you have the space to park it, owning a beater is quite economical as well as rids you of the anxiety that comes with luxury vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive