Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I think maybe it's you who doesn't understand that most car owners don't keep a service record shrine on their vehicles nor do they expect one available when they buy a used car........
Just because it lowers what you personally are willing to pay doesn't mean it lowers the actual value.
I understand that most people don't keep good records on their cars...Yes it does lower car values, you don't understand valuing used cars. KBB spells it out how to do it. Sure some people will always overpay - a fool and his money are soon parted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 06:16 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong (and if I am, I'm sure there will be those to quickly correct me), but to me, the Edmunds suggest retail price for a vehicle is the suggested price that a dealer would price a vehicle for, hence the word "retail". Am I wrong on this? And generally, the retail price for a car is going to be more than the price it would sell privately.

Reason why I'm asking is that I came across this ad on Craig's List last night where the seller posted a screen shot of the suggested retail price for his/her vehicle that was to be sold, and the suggested retail price was something around $8,000 - in excellent condition. The seller wanted to sell the vehicle for $9,000. Now, the vehicle looked to be in good shape from the pictures, but I couldn't really tell if it was in excellent shape or not. Having said that, if I'm correct in my thinking, isn't the seller way over pricing his/her vehicle? Not only is he/she looking at a retail price for the car, but also pricing it above that price?

Or, am I wrong? I thought I've used that site in the past to price the value of my vehicle and it specifically told me the private sell value of it and not so much just the retail value?
I sold my 5 year old car for a lot more than book value, and in one day. it had 25k on the clock and a full service record with the dealer. It sold a couple of K above the full retail KBB or Edmond price. First day i listed it, multiple offers ended up selling over asking in a little bidding war between my dealer and two dudes.. the dealer won which seemed unfair but his offer was just too good to pass up. We did not even want to sell it, we just could not make up a reason to keep it.

It was in very good condition and people like that new feel even if it is not new.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I sold my 5 year old car for a lot more than book value, and in one day. it had 25k on the clock and a full service record with the dealer. It sold a couple of K above the full retail KBB or Edmond price. First day i listed it, multiple offers ended up selling over asking in a little bidding war between my dealer and two dudes.. the dealer won which seemed unfair but his offer was just too good to pass up. We did not even want to sell it, we just could not make up a reason to keep it.

It was in very good condition and people like that new feel even if it is not new.

And the car was a......????

Old 06-17-2017, 06:41 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Records make the car more desirable. I sold my Sonata to a small dealer a few months ago with a glove box full of receipts. That dealer had the car sold within a few days, and I was told that the receipts along with low miles is what sold it.

If I don't see paper receipts I at least expect to see some type of maintenance history on CarFax. If I see neither I pass on it.
So you were fine with a dealer giving out your name and address to a purchaser? Seems like a whole lot of privacy violation to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive