Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Neat, now they just need to add a compressor to adjust the tire pressure as you drive so they never get too low or too high. I would bet there is probably some high end car out there that does this.
Hummer 1 had that. Military Humvees also have that capability. Those were manual systems, but at least you could do it from the comfort of the driver's seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
When I get rentals, if the TPMS light comes on, I just let them know when I return the car.

I just maintain my own cars...not theirs.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
When I get rentals, if the TPMS light comes on, I just let them know when I return the car.

I just maintain my own cars...not theirs.
This. I'm in a rental Jeep Cherokee right now and they have the TPMS which gives a readout of each tire. I just looked at that and saw they were all within 2psi of each other at around 35, so I drove off. Since rental agencies only handle new(er) vehicles, the chance of a vehicle not having some sort of TPMS sensor is slim to none.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This. I'm in a rental Jeep Cherokee right now and they have the TPMS which gives a readout of each tire. I just looked at that and saw they were all within 2psi of each other at around 35, so I drove off. Since rental agencies only handle new(er) vehicles, the chance of a vehicle not having some sort of TPMS sensor is slim to none.
Not all new vehicles have individual tire pressure readout. A lot still have the idiot light, leaving it up to the driver to figure out which tire has the low pressure. The Versa and Fiesta I rented earlier this year were like that.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:49 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Some mechanics go with a default of 32 PSI. That night or the next morning I always check my tire pressure and adjust as needed. We don't have covered parking at home so I have to check after dark. Passenger side tires face east and driver's side tires face west. That temperature difference makes a difference in air pressure.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:17 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Some mechanics go with a default of 32 PSI. That night or the next morning I always check my tire pressure and adjust as needed. We don't have covered parking at home so I have to check after dark. Passenger side tires face east and driver's side tires face west. That temperature difference makes a difference in air pressure.
Best to check before sunup or after sundown then. 32psi sounds like a good go-to for most vehicles, if actual is not known. This internet is sad: you can dig up dirt on anybody, but try to look up "Toyota Rav4 tire pressure" or "Ford Mustang tire psi" and you get clickbait for results!

Old 01-31-2021, 11:18 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Mod cut.

Last month I drove an insurance-covered rental home while my own car was in for work at a body repair shop. A 2020 Malibu I believe.

After having driven 10-15 minutes across town from the body shop and rental venues, to my driveway, I waited ten minutes and checked the Chevy's tires: 33psi cold on the B-pillar placard.... 24-26psi actually in the tires - after having already driven it! THAT's why you check the tires on a rental vehicle. Because nobody else will, or gives a hoot.

I plugged my automatic Slime brand tire-flator into the accessory outlet in the dash, set it for 35psi to account for time of day and my driving, and repeated for all four tires. I double verified with my Longacre Deluxe dial tire gauge.

I start work late on the day I picked up this rental, 11am, so a little while later I drove it to work. Drove and handled like a charm!
Early next AM, I hustled outside to check the (now)cold pressures in the Malibu tires - all exactly 33 1/2psi - perfect.

Does it matter? Yes! If it's 'my' ride - for one day, one week, or a month, you dam better believe I'm checking the tires.

Mod cut.
Point is, check all the small things, and you'll have miles o' smiles!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-31-2021 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:58 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am pretty sure the PSI on the door is for stock tires. Not necessarily for the tires you have on the car. I am only saying tht though because I had a car that said 40 PSI on the door sticker but the tires on it said 55 - 60 psi on the tire. If you ran those tires at 40 PSI, you would destroy the tire, get bad mileage and have terrible handling.

Most tires have the PSI recommendation on the side of the tire. The PSI recommendation is just that - a recommendation. Your pressure will not remain entirely consistent anyway. There are a lot of factors you need to consider in deciding how much air pressure is suitable for your tires/vehicle. Road or off road surface conditions, weather, loading, passengers or cargo or nothing? type of driving you will be doing, ride and noise preferences, tire wear acceptability, probably some other things. Recommendations are not all that helpful other than to establish an average range for average driving in average conditions with average loads.

I have never seen a tire with a "recommended" pressure on the sidewall and I have owned a repair shop for 40 years. I have only seen "maximum" on the sidewall. "Recommended" and "maximum" are two different words with two different meanings.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:01 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Best to check before sunup or after sundown then. 32psi sounds like a good go-to for most vehicles, if actual is not known. This internet is sad: you can dig up dirt on anybody, but try to look up "Toyota Rav4 tire pressure" or "Ford Mustang tire psi" and you get clickbait for results!
Why try to find it on the internet? It can be found by opening a door on the driver's side or in the glove box several years ago.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:09 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Nope I’m not obsessed on tire pressure, if a tire looks low I’ll check the pressure, and put air in if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive