Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:09 PM

79 posts, read 81,851 times

Advertisements

I know auto makers are doing this to meet mpg requirements, etc. But with the recent trend away from naturally-aspirated engines, and going to 4-cylinder turbos, are these vehicles going to get past 100,000 miles before something goes wrong? And is premium fuel required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Some are tuned for 87 octane now. There can be some extra maintenance/shorter intervals but nothing inherent in the design to make them significantly less reliable than a n/a equivalent. There are just some implementations that are better than others just like a n/a engine.

The 2.5 turbo Legacies are an example of an iffy design. They had 2 in line filters that were not considered a maintenance item. But when they got clogged the turbo was starved of oil and...boom.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
I know auto makers are doing this to meet mpg requirements, etc. But with the recent trend away from naturally-aspirated engines, and going to 4-cylinder turbos, are these vehicles going to get past 100,000 miles before something goes wrong? And is premium fuel required?
No premium, my wife's Escape is 178hp, with a little 1.6 and turbo. How they hold up we won't know for years, since they started to mass produce turbos in normal cars about 2012. I have seen some for sale used at over 100k miles, but these days people expect cars to go 200k.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No premium, my wife's Escape is 178hp, with a little 1.6 and turbo. How they hold up we won't know for years, since they started to mass produce turbos in normal cars about 2012. I have seen some for sale used at over 100k miles, but these days people expect cars to go 200k.
The 2.0 turbo is quickly becoming the standard for anything from a mainstream sedan to a full sized luxury crossover (Volvo XC90) to high performance marques (Alpha Romeo Giulia) and it's only going to get more common- with the 1.5 T becoming the standard for compacts and mid-sized cars. Whereas insurance companies used to charge a premium for a car with a turbo assuming it was the high performance version that has to be changing when now everything seems to be coming with them.

I will say that I haven't had one issue with my 2002 Subaru WRX 2.0 turbo, other than a lot of self generated smiles when engaging it.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:02 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
I don't understand why turbo engines scare people. The newer generation of turbo engines has been in production for several years now, by nearly all manufacturers, with most of those engines logging many miles with no issues. (And those engines that did have issues were not the fault of the turbo more times than not.)

Freightliner and most other heavy trucks use inline-6's with turbos and those turbos usually last 500,000 miles or more, so that's good enough for me.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
OP, you might have had a point about 30 years ago, but today with modern materials, modern modern manufacturing techniques, oils, etc. i dont see any issue with modern turbo engines going well beyond 100,000 miles with proper maintenance.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I don't understand why turbo engines scare people. The newer generation of turbo engines has been in production for several years now, by nearly all manufacturers, with most of those engines logging many miles with no issues. (And those engines that did have issues were not the fault of the turbo more times than not.)

Freightliner and most other heavy trucks use inline-6's with turbos and those turbos usually last 500,000 miles or more, so that's good enough for me.
Those are turbo diesels.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
The problem will be the typical American driver who rolls into QuickieLube every 10k miles or so and gets bulk conventional oil and a cheapie no-name filter. Turbo engines won't last long for those folks, and the problem gets compounded if it's combined with direct injection. I'd certainly never buy a used one.

Now if you buy one brand new, and run a good 5w-40 synthetic oil, you'll have better luck.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:16 PM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The problem will be the typical American driver who rolls into QuickieLube every 10k miles or so and gets bulk conventional oil and a cheapie no-name filter. Turbo engines won't last long for those folks, and the problem gets compounded if it's combined with direct injection. I'd certainly never buy a used one.

Now if you buy one brand new, and run a good 5w-40 synthetic oil, you'll have better luck.
From what I've read, these motors are also hard on oil. For John Q. Public who never opens his hood, this means he'll be low on oil by the time he goes in for his 10k dino oil change. Lather, rinse, repeat for tens of thousands of miles and you get shortened engine life.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
I can't speak to reliability but my wife's C300 turbo 4 is not a pleasant engine. It's relatively noisy and rather jerky, although that is probably a transmission matter. It screams I am a 4. I see a world of difference when I step into my ES 350 with a V6. It's buttery smooth and feels like I am flying a glider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive