Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,730 times

Advertisements

I learned something new recently. If you have a vehicle without a spare tire, you may not be able to get roadside assistance from anyone other than your manufacturer. It appears that many of the providers of roadside service will come and change a tire only if you have a spare. No spare = they ain't coming.

May be worth checking your policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 03:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I learned something new recently. If you have a vehicle without a spare tire, you may not be able to get roadside assistance from anyone other than your manufacturer. It appears that many of the providers of roadside service will come and change a tire only if you have a spare. No spare = they ain't coming.

May be worth checking your policy.
Did you expect them to bring the proper sized rim and tire for every call?

Old 06-19-2017, 03:33 PM

903 posts, read 862,410 times
Simply do it through your insurance company.

Costs me $3/mo through State Farm. If you need a flatbed, it's still covered.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:59 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Simply do it through your insurance company.

Costs me $3/mo through State Farm. If you need a flatbed, it's still covered.
Using that can raise your insurance rates though as it counts as a claim.
Roadside assistance could help hike up your insurance rates - Jun. 23, 2006

But if you have a spare and the problem is just one tire why would you need assistance anyway?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

But if you have a spare and the problem is just one tire why would you need assistance anyway?
Interesting article. I've had 3 roadside assistance claims in the last 2 years. My rates with the Farm haven't changed though. Didn't realize they were reported.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:30 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Well, if you don't have a spare tire, what can roadside assistance do for you? I always pack along one of those "spare in a can" spray bombs - they won't fix all flats but probably most. All my (older) cars have a full-size spare, the 92 Subie has a "donut". If your car came without a spare, you can either get a full size wheel/tire from a yard, or find a donut that will fit.

A tip. Check your spare tire's air pressure occasionally, say when you rotate tires or every oil change. Not being used, for some reason they tend to leak down worse than tires that are on the road.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:34 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

But if you have a spare and the problem is just one tire why would you need assistance anyway
?
So many wimps anymore can't even change a wheel/tire on the side of the road. Sad but true. So many young men grow up without a father or any sort of male role-model in the house. We were not born knowing how to fix a flat, somebody (dad) had to teach us. Sorry to get a bit off topic, but, it is what it is.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
if you have roadside assistance through AAA then they would call a tow truck for you if you indicate that you have no spare.

and lets say you dont have a spare and call, they would send out a tech, who would then call a tow truck for you through AAA.

or if you have a spare that cannot be used for what ever reason, they will also call a tow truck for you.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, if you don't have a spare tire, what can roadside assistance do for you? I always pack along one of those "spare in a can" spray bombs - they won't fix all flats but probably most. All my (older) cars have a full-size spare, the 92 Subie has a "donut". If your car came without a spare, you can either get a full size wheel/tire from a yard, or find a donut that will fit.

A tip. Check your spare tire's air pressure occasionally, say when you rotate tires or every oil change. Not being used, for some reason they tend to leak down worse than tires that are on the road.
Easy, request a flatbed tow truck. You don't need a spare tire to get roadside assistance. That's pure nonsense.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:10 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,867,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
So many wimps anymore can't even change a wheel/tire on the side of the road. Sad but true. So many young men grow up without a father or any sort of male role-model in the house. We were not born knowing how to fix a flat, somebody (dad) had to teach us. Sorry to get a bit off topic, but, it is what it is.
Well some of us were shown but never really learned, and a friend's brother had his legs cut off as a teen when he stopped to help someone change their tire. I'd much rather call AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive