Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:58 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,046,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
No, the turn lane was completely empty. He waited until near the end of the turn lane to brake and move over into the turn lane.

Alright. I guess I would have had to have been there to see it myself. Thanks anyway for trying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 06:19 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
Quote:
Empty turn lane on the right. Driver continues in regular lane till near the end of the right turn lane before braking and turning right into the right turn lane. Though the turn lane is long enough for two big rigs, he waited until the end of the turn lane to enter the turn lane to turn right.
Now I get it. I thought you were saying something different. Yes, that is behavior I'm seeing all of the time. Especially on freeways and the exit ramps. Yesterday, a driver Sat in the middle lane, all the way to the exit and then exited from the middle lane even though there was plenty of room and time to get over to the exit only lane. I see it all the time. I also see it at turn lanes like you describe. I can't figure out why they do it even when there are no cars around.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 AM

22,673 posts, read 24,647,023 times
All the insane and dangerous stuff that drivers do.......and a big gripe is someone slowing-down to enter a turn-lane, WOW!

A lot of times the folks coming-up with these weird complaints, are following the car doing the "crazy" maneuver, way too closely.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:49 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,688,487 times
Quote:
Areas that have a long left or right turn lane. Driver slows to nearly a stop near the end of the turn lane before actually entering the turn lane. Turn lane started about 6 car lengths back! That's when you put on your turn signal and enter the turn lane then begin braking. Several cars got stuck at the red light because of this jerk's actions. Not the first time I've seen this but it does seem to be happening more often. Is this a symptom of bad drivers or just the cell phone zombie oblivious to the world around them?
I see it all the time too, and if they'd just glide on over into the turn lane at the beginning I wouldn't have to slow down... instead they wait until the last minute, slow WAY down, and then move over, causing me to have to hit my brakes.

In general though, I just notice a lot of people make turns into side streets so slowly, like they think they're still driving one of those boats from the 70's. Heck, even my truck handles well enough that I can turn without coming to a near stop.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I see it all the time too, and if they'd just glide on over into the turn lane at the beginning I wouldn't have to slow down... instead they wait until the last minute, slow WAY down, and then move over, causing me to have to hit my brakes.

In general though, I just notice a lot of people make turns into side streets so slowly, like they think they're still driving one of those boats from the 70's. Heck, even my truck handles well enough that I can turn without coming to a near stop.
I think I'm beginning to get it: A driver wants to make a right turn, and sees the right turn only lane is empty, so they treat as nonexistent, and make their right turn from the straight-ahead lane. I can see where that would **** drivers off!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,605,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My newest.....in our area of I84, they extended the on ramps to what looks like almost a quarter mile, and now when there is traffic, drivers scoot out of line and use the on ramp to advance....and my Wife yells at me to "Block them !", and there is no way because they also have the shoulder....impossible to block a lane and a half, and keep yours
I would never put myself in such situation. Some d-bag wants to drive like a ahole fine. I will gladly forward his license plate to the P.D. by calling in a road raging unsafe driver.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:50 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

In that case, I wouldn't want to spill my drink turning a corner at 50 mph. How fast do you want them to go?

Old 07-09-2017, 08:35 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
I've found the the new norm on I-95 on the long off ramp lanes are being used as a passing lane (solid white line doesn't matter). Pull in to pass cars and pull back into traffic before lane leaves highway.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,375,659 times
Pet peeve of mine is when there is no turn lane and drivers wanting to turn left have to use the left of two lanes,fine but put your turn signal on to inform those behind you that you are turning left,many times i'll be behind a car at the light and its only when the light turns green does he then put his turn signal on

Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Pet peeve of mine is when there is no turn lane and drivers wanting to turn left have to use the left of two lanes,fine but put your turn signal on to inform those behind you that you are turning left,many times i'll be behind a car at the light and its only when the light turns green does he then put his turn signal on
Agreed! My turn signal is on, like most drivers ed manuals suggest, 100'(32m) before reaching the intersection. Gives other drivers the opportunity - if they're paying attention! - to move out of the lane I'm going to be making my turn from.

Turn signals are a lot like Ex Lax! They can help smooth flow of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive