Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:45 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,748,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Before you guys bad mouth Dodge trucks too much more, I owned two Dakotas over a 15 year period and have nothing but praise for them. Rust? Not a spot.
You should come to Ohio. Or New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota. Try to find a Dodge or Ford truck older than 2 years without visible body rust. You won't be able to. They may keep running but the wheel wells on the truck bed and the cab corners will be starting to go on a 2 year old and will be gone by 5 years. The bumpers as well. They definitely don't make them like they used to. I've been thinking abut buying a new Ford Super Duty but I won't given how badly they rust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
OP, if you are interested in the truck, go and look at it. Listen to the motor and run the transmission through the gears to see how it shifts. If it is 4WD, find a patch of soft dirt and test the 4WD.

If it all seems good, take it to a reliable mechanic and have it checked out.

If it is at a dealer and it has been there for a long time, I would suspect that he is using it as a bait and switch car to get people in and sell them something else. Because if dealers have cars that won't sell, they drop the price until it does sell. Most dealers, if there is something really wrong mechanically, they haul it back to the auction and get rid of it instead of trying to get someone to buy a car with two bad cylinders who is going to end up bad mouthing them all over the internet.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
You should come to Ohio. Or New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota. Try to find a Dodge or Ford truck older than 2 years without visible body rust. You won't be able to. They may keep running but the wheel wells on the truck bed and the cab corners will be starting to go on a 2 year old and will be gone by 5 years. The bumpers as well. They definitely don't make them like they used to. I've been thinking abut buying a new Ford Super Duty but I won't given how badly they rust.
I am beginning to think Stonepa lives in 1982 and is somehow connected to today's internet. Ohio uses the same kind of salt as Michigan does. In fact, much of their salt comes from Michigan. Ohio actually uses less salt because they do not just dump it on dry roads at the end of winter in order to avoid having their budget slashed. There are thousands and thousands of Dodge vehicles over 2 years old with not a speck of rust on them anywhere, including an 8 year old tuck sitting in my driveway (well currently in the parking garage at work).

It is true you will not find a 2 year old Dodge Truck with no rust anywhere. But that is because Dodge has not made any trucks in the past 2 years. The truck division of FCA was separated and is no longer part of Dodge, it is just RAM. No more Dodge RAM trucks, just RAM. (Oh for Stonepa's edification: in 2009 Fiat bought Chrysler (including Dodge) and the overall company is now Fiat Chrysler of America or FCA. FCA is the parent company of Dodge, Ram, Jeep, and all other former Chrysler divisions, however they are trying to get General Motors to buy them, or maybe a Chinese company, so the ownership and names may be changing again very soon. It is hard to keep up with things here in 2017, everything changes much faster now). Anyway Rust through pretty much went away by about 2005 or so with improved metalurgy and coatings. You also no longer need to rust proof cars after you buy them. In fact, they found that can be detrimental. Prior to 2005, it is a bit hit and miss. Many cars going back to 2000 or even well into the 1990s are without any rust whatsoever, but some models like the aforementioned Countour SVT have some odd issues and rust a lot like crazy. With he Contour the problem was unsealed body moldings that collected salt sludge and held it year round against the bottom of the car. The unibody steel was also pretty poor quality. The F150 of the same year however, is not much prone to rust. I had one in 2005-2008 that was beat up badly, it was an asphalt company's truck, it had issues, but rust was not one of them. No rust on it except some surface rust on the exposed bare metal parts like bolts etc. i know I looked at some 1996 - 1998 Dodge Trucks at the time I bought the Ford. Some had rust, some did not. But those were 8 - 10 years old, not 2 years old. Frankly I do not think I have seen a car that gets serious rust in 2 years since the 1970s.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 07-07-2017 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 09:54 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,748,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am beginning to think Stonepa lives in 1982 and is somehow connected to today's internet. Ohio uses the same kind of salt as Michigan does. In fact, much of their salt comes from Michigan. Ohio actually uses less salt because they do not just dump it on dry roads at the end of winter in order to avoid having their budget slashed. There are thousands and thousands of Dodge vehicles over 2 years old with not a speck of rust on them anywhere, including an 8 year old tuck sitting in my driveway (well currently in the parking garage at work).

It is true you will not find a 2 year old Dodge Truck with no rust anywhere. But that is because Dodge has not made any trucks in the past 2 years. The truck division of FCA was separated and is no longer part of Dodge, it is just RAM. No more Dodge RAM trucks, just RAM. (Oh for Stonepa's edification: in 2009 Fiat bought Chrysler (including Dodge) and the overall company is now Fiat Chrysler of America or FCA. FCA is the parent company of Dodge, Ram, Jeep, and all other former Chrysler divisions, however they are trying to get General Motors to buy them, or maybe a Chinese company, so the ownership and names may be changing again very soon. It is hard to keep up with things here in 2017, everything changes much faster now). Anyway Rust through pretty much went away by about 2005 or so with improved metalurgy and coatings. You also no longer need to rust proof cars after you buy them. In fact, they found that can be detrimental. Prior to 2005, it is a bit hit and miss. Many cars going back to 2000 or even well into the 1990s are without any rust whatsoever, but some models like the aforementioned Countour SVT have some odd issues and rust a lot like crazy. With he Contour the problem was unsealed body moldings that collected salt sludge and held it year round against the bottom of the car. The unibody steel was also pretty poor quality. The F150 of the same year however, is not much prone to rust. I had one in 2005-2008 that was beat up badly, it was an asphalt company's truck, it had issues, but rust was not one of them. No rust on it except some surface rust on the exposed bare metal parts like bolts etc. i know I looked at some 1996 - 1998 Dodge Trucks at the time I bought the Ford. Some had rust, some did not. But those were 8 - 10 years old, not 2 years old. Frankly I do not think I have seen a car that gets serious rust in 2 years since the 1970s.
1982? WTH? Anyways, thanks for the marketing lesson. We are talking about pickup trucks right? Not cars, which typically don't rust much anymore? Ok, pickup trucks. Go to any Cleveland / Detroit gas station at 6:30 am and watch all the trucks stopping by for their owners to get coffee. Find a single Dodge / RAM (who cares) or Ford older than 2 years without rust and take a picture of it. Post it here. Good luck.

Chevy's seem to have the same kinds of problems but it is usually the rocker panels first.

Even the new F150's with the aluminum bed rust in the cab and bumpers. How do I know? A friend bought the Platinum model 2 years ago. While the bed isn't rusting, the cab ends are bubbling and the rear chrome bumper has rust staining. That's after 2 Cleveland winters. And it's pearl white, so every single spot is going to show.

And yes, I did work at both GM (Tech Center and Truck and Bus) and Ford (HQ), as well as Nissan (both HQ and Smyrna) and Land Rover, so I do have some familiarity with the auto industry and, specifically, light duty trucks and SUVs.

Last edited by Stonepa; 07-07-2017 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 11:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,360,237 times
Gas guzzler from a state with lots of salt on the road. There's rust showing on the body and bumper. I'm sure there's more where that came from. But hey. If you love it, marry it!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:45 PM

8,086 posts, read 10,105,696 times
Ten Year old vehicle with high miles, rust, shot interior and a checkered reputation for sale by a no name dealer on a gritty part of Rte 22 W.

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,305,436 times
Three reasons.

Number one, it's not nice enough to be worth full retail so it's not really "half price".

Number two, retail prices are always overstated so even if it were mint it wouldn't be worth the book price.

Lastly, check the price history toward the bottom of the linked page. They just dropped it by $2000. So it hasn't been setting there all that time at $5999, it was $7999 most of that time.

Which is still high, IMHO. If you're interested offer them $4000 and see what happens.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
1982? WTH? Anyways, thanks for the marketing lesson. We are talking about pickup trucks right? Not cars, which typically don't rust much anymore? Ok, pickup trucks. Go to any Cleveland / Detroit gas station at 6:30 am and watch all the trucks stopping by for their owners to get coffee. Find a single Dodge / RAM (who cares) or Ford older than 2 years without rust and take a picture of it. Post it here. Good luck.

Chevy's seem to have the same kinds of problems but it is usually the rocker panels first.

Even the new F150's with the aluminum bed rust in the cab and bumpers. How do I know? A friend bought the Platinum model 2 years ago. While the bed isn't rusting, the cab ends are bubbling and the rear chrome bumper has rust staining. That's after 2 Cleveland winters. And it's pearl white, so every single spot is going to show.

And yes, I did work at both GM (Tech Center and Truck and Bus) and Ford (HQ), as well as Nissan (both HQ and Smyrna) and Land Rover, so I do have some familiarity with the auto industry and, specifically, light duty trucks and SUVs.
Can I use mine? not a speck of rust, not even on the rock chips or scratches. Some of Neighbors? Does it need to be a gas station? I can snap at least 20 in the parking garage. How many pictures would you like? 500? 10,000?

You can find rust on a few when you go back to the mid 2000s or further. Still it is not common until you start looking at the 1990s or very early 2000s.

You seem to live in a different reality than I do. I have not seen rust on a truck in years, except for very old ones (15 or more years old). 2 years old? Why don't you find a demonstrated 2 year old truck with rust on it? For that matter, find one from the past ten years with rust on it. Look for Longhorn Edition Rams, I think they came out about 2010. That will at least allow you to find one that you have some clue of the age.

Like I said a lot has changed since the 1970 and 1980s.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Here is one 2 years old in Cleveland. Can you point out the rust?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=171954379

or a 2010 in Cleveland- help me out here, having problems finding the rust.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=173230616

I think I must need new glasses

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=175542466

Maybe all of these are imported form Florida?
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ode1=RAM1504WD

Still looking for a 2015 with rust on it. For that matter even a 2009 or 2010. I am sure there must be one out there somewhere. With 2 million of them sold between 2009 and 2015, surely one is rusty. I give up though, I cannot find it.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,626,910 times
Truthfully Chrysler/Didge/Jeep vehicles for the most part just don't keep their value. Jeeps do but that's because Jeep is really good at selling a image of rough tough off road warrior ready to tackle anything vehicle. And original buyers and subsequent buyers are enamored with that. And the only one I'm talking about is the Wrangler. Because all the other models just fall off a value cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive