Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM

271 posts, read 296,064 times

Advertisements

i have always been sticking with japanese cars throughout my adult life, mainly b/c they are reliable, the performance of a honda or toyota isn't great, but it is something that i can deal with for the price that they are asking. For the most part, a car is just a tool that takes me from point a to point b and i just don't see the point of spending a large amount of money on something that will only depreciate over time.
I thought about buying german cars, but the reliability of german cars really concerns me. A few years ago, when i went to europe for vacation, we rented a vw golf gtd, and i really enjoyed driving that car on the german autobahn. i liked the car so much that i even thought about buying it, except gtd is not sold in the states.
now american brand cars. i honestly don't know why i should spend $30k to buy an american brand car. when i buy japanese cars, i am buying reliability, when i am buying german cars, i am buying performance. i had this conversation with my coworker before, he told me he will always buy american brand cars, b/c he wants to support the american auto industry. Sometimes when i watch tv, and i see those ford, or gm commercials, they call themselves most dependable vehicle, to me, that is just ahh, like how do you define the word "dependable". which vehicle is not dependable?
I have been living in this country for a long long long time now, i do care about what is going on in this country, and it is not like i have anything against american brand cars. BUT if Ford, Chrysler, GM... wants me to spend $30k of my hard earned money to buy a Ford, Chrysler, GM, they have to earn it! They have to prove to me that they are just as reliable as a honda, a toyota, their performance, handling is just as good as BMW, Mercedes Benz. So far, they have not done it.
In some of the american brand car commercials, they were trying to promote the self // parking feature, you can open the trunk by extending your leg underneath the car. To me, those features are nice, but i will not buy a car simply b/c of those features. imo, the bread and butter of a car is reliability, is performance, is safety and of course, price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:47 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Honda Civic, Car of the year 31 times. Basically designed and built in the USA. With globalization your consideration is irrelevant. Chrysler is now owned by an Italian company, GM and Ford do business around the world. Many specialty makes have been bought by Asian companies.
Finance comes from the home country, but good cars can be built by anyone with the money in hand today.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:04 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Your problem is you're trying to categorize cars by entire countries. You should shop for the actual car you want. Not all German cars suck at reliability (Porsche) and not all Japanese cars have poor performance (Nissan GTR).
American cars have already proven reliable https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...-reports-top-3

And top performers
Car and Driver

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper#Viper_ACR

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 0

If you wanna live by cheeseball, outdated stereotypes, you're going to miss out on a lot of options.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:20 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
Cars are too expensive to waste money on junk, and I absolutely refuse to support unions, especially the UAW. I have two vehicles built in the USA. One is a 1993 Nissan truck, built in Tennessee that has given me 24 years of excellent service, and a 2017 Toyota Corolla built IN Mississippi. I marvel at the workmanship and fit and finish on this car. I have owned cars built in the US by the Detroit 3, cars built in England, France, and Japan, and Japanese brand vehicles made in the USA. The best were the Japanese built and American built Japanese brands.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
I was shopping for a light truck years ago. Tried out the Chevy Colorado and mentioned to the salesman that I was off to test out the Tacoma next. He said if I bought the Colorado it would save 7 american jobs. I said if the only thing you have to sell me on is pity I think we're done here.

But yeah reliability ratings are much in flux in recent years. Just a few years ago it was laughable to consider Audi and Kia near the top of reliability. But now that's where they are.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Cars are too expensive to waste money on junk, and I absolutely refuse to support unions, especially the UAW. I have two vehicles built in the USA. One is a 1993 Nissan truck, built in Tennessee that has given me 24 years of excellent service, and a 2017 Toyota Corolla built IN Mississippi. I marvel at the workmanship and fit and finish on this car. I have owned cars built in the US by the Detroit 3, cars built in England, France, and Japan, and Japanese brand vehicles made in the USA. The best were the Japanese built and American built Japanese brands.
So you like the JAW in lieu of the UAW...http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...oaring-profits

America doesn't have a monopoly on unions.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I was shopping for a light truck years ago. Tried out the Chevy Colorado and mentioned to the salesman that I was off to test out the Tacoma next. He said if I bought the Colorado it would save 7 american jobs. I said if the only thing you have to sell me on is pity I think we're done here.

But yeah reliability ratings are much in flux in recent years. Just a few years ago it was laughable to consider Audi and Kia near the top of reliability. But now that's where they are.
Yes, even ISIS has dumped Toyota in favor of Kia...https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...tan-war-2017-3

Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
If you take care of your cars properly, most any vehicle you buy will last you and be "dependable" for years to come. For instance, look at all the Chevy Silverados that easily go way past 200,000 miles on the original engine. Look at how older Ford Mustang Cobras are still high in demand, as well as Camaros and Corvettes. Any make and model will have their shortcomings. It all depends on what your threshold in maintenance is and how you drive.

When I had my '06 Mustang GT, I had to replace the alternator around 40,000 miles. I thought it was quite odd having an issue with the alternator so soon, but I replaced it and kept enjoying the car. Stuff is going to happen. Even with my '11 Honda Accord, I've had to have it in the shop for unscheduled mechanical repair. It wasn't anything too serious, but even your solid Honda vehicles will have issues. The best thing to do is to get a subscription to Consumer Reports and get the real low-down on safety and dependability of each make and model. You'll be surprised by the test results.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So you like the JAW in lieu of the UAW...http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...oaring-profits

America doesn't have a monopoly on unions.
Yeah... he said he won't support unions, then rattled off a bunch of cars he bought were built with union labor.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
For the most part, a car is just a tool that takes me from point a to point b .
That's the problem right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive