Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Some of the dealerships and all of the independent repair places get their auto parts delivered 2 or 3 times a day from an auto parts stores.
That's why these auto parts stores will be around for quite some time. Repair shops don't have 2-3 days for parts to arrive from an on-line source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
If you want to replace brake pads next weekend, order them and wait 4 days. When your battery dies, you want a replacement - NOW

Old 07-10-2017, 07:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
I have not been in an auto parts store in years, cannot even remember how long it has been.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If you want to replace brake pads next weekend, order them and wait 4 days. When your battery dies, you want a replacement - NOW
For batteries I go to Sam's Club. You couldn't order those online anyways, the weight would make it cost a fortune to ship.

For brake pads, I know pretty well in advance when they need replacing, so I order them.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
my beef...

If it is not available on the Part's store computer screen... it is UNAVAILABLE / i.e. not like when someone with experience and knowledge would say... I remember a Tractor / old truck part to can be substituted for that. ... Really a hassle to deal with computer ONLY solutions.

Thus, I am glad I keep a few spare vehicles around, as well a metal working shop in the garage.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:00 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
<>Plus, we've got Walmart, Tractor Supply, and Rural King to get things like oil, fluids, and such. Just last week I wanted to pick up a few cans of Seafoam. I stopped at O'Reilly because I was passing by and it was $11.99 per can. Up a few blocks at Rural King, it was $6.99 for the same can.
There is an app called SHOP BUDDY that can find the best local price for you. Avast also has a shopping addon.
Autoparts stores are in oversupply, but Amazon can't test your battery for you.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Last week the boat would not crank so I went online and ordered the battery from Advance. Discount from Advance, coupon code in my email, cash back from my shopping portal, 2% from my credit card.
I had checked by battery acid density and it seemed okay, but I figured something must be wrong with the battery.
Hauled it down to Advance and my battery checked out fine, so I canceled the whole deal, ordered a starter from eBay and "Bob's your Uncle", going boating this weekend.
"Works for me"

Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
I remember back in the 70's that smaller independent auto supply stores also had a machine shop that rebuilt heads, and other machine work.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
I remember when the guy behind the parts counter actually knew how to work on cars and could suggest the parts you needed to buy and knew one part from another. Now, they either are some HS kid, or someone who speaks very little English. A while back, one of their employees couldn't even give me directions to another one of their stores.

My sons and I buy a LOT of car parts, we build cars and currently have about 5 car projects going. More and more, I order either from Rock Auto or one of the race shops like Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc. They are efficient, their websites are easy to navigate, and the parts are much cheaper, even with shipping (some even pay the freight). For example , I just ordered a new radiator for my Mustang from Rock Auto and it was $ 80 + $6.95 shipping, and I will have it in one day. Advance Auto gets $ 151.00 for the same radiator.

In the past 6 months, I have probably ordered $8000.00 in parts from on line businesses, and would have paid a lot more locally, if I could have found it. Yeah, I would love to support a local guy, but I also need to save money when I can, and I get better service on line.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM

797 posts, read 751,753 times
I needed a replacement part that moment.
Well I bought it at autozone,
bought it on amazon as well,
then returned the new one back to autozone.
Good ol amazon,never letting me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive