Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 07:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

I am renting a Forester and noticed two weird behaviors. First, the windows cannot be stopped half way. It's either all the way down or all the way up. I managed to make them stop half way once but haven't been able to repeat it. The other thing is the door lock button. I ask you this. To lock the doors, would you press the button up or down? I'll keep an eye on other stuff otherwise the seats are pretty comfy, rides smooth, very quiet AND I will never wanna be seen in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 08:32 PM

48 posts, read 69,669 times
Assuming it's like my 2010, you can definitely stop the window at any point. If you press the window button down, it will automatically open all the way. To stop it at any point, just quickly pull up on the button- it will stop it wherever it is and then you can lower or raise it as much as you want. Hope this explanation makes sense!

Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 PM

I thought I did that. I am pretty sure but will try again.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
Every vehicle I've had with auto up/down windows has a two position switch. Push/pull halfway and you're in manual mode. Push/pull all the way and you're in auto mode. You should feel a little resistance when you leave manual mode and enter auto mode. This should be covered in the owner's manual.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Every vehicle I've had with auto up/down windows has a two position switch. Push/pull halfway and you're in manual mode. Push/pull all the way and you're in auto mode. You should feel a little resistance when you leave manual mode and enter auto mode. This should be covered in the owner's manual.
I belong to a number of automotive related forums, as a general rule people refuse to read their owner's manual.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:09 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,043,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
In my Uncle's 2014 Cruze that distinction barely exists - all too easy to go directly to auto, for down and up, which I think is a bad idea. Up window should be manual by law.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I belong to a number of automotive related forums, as a general rule people refuse to read their owner's manual.
I don't need to read the users manual to operate the window. The same engineers decided that to lock the doors you press the button UP. That's exactly the opposite of what it should be.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:53 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't need to read the users manual to operate the window. The same engineers decided that to lock the doors you press the button UP. That's exactly the opposite of what it should be.
We seem to have evidence to the contrary

Old 07-20-2017, 10:06 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
Maybe it is just not being familiar with the car? Or a worn out switch in a rental?

Our '17 Outback has the usual two position window switches like any other brand, and the lock buttons are normal (buttons). We did test a Forester and I do not specifically remember it's door and window controls, but I'd imagine Subaru just uses the same ones across all models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive