Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 12:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times

Advertisements

Equipment with hydrostatic transmissions function this way. On my John Deere commercial mower, it had brakes for either side or an emergency brake when it hits the fan or for parking.

The side brakes work for turning. I set the parking brake when loading it on the trailer. Again, I rarely use the brakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 01:09 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
It looks like there is a regular brake pedal, too.
"One-pedal driving" could mean that it's more aggressive with the regenerative breaking. So when you ease off the accelerator, you slow down faster than you would without the feature.

Since the "regular" break pedal is still there, it's also likely that "one-pedal driving" is a setting that you can enable/disable in the console if you would rather break normally.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
No, thanks. I can see me getting used to driving that thing, then getting in my truck, with the clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals, and making a very bad mistake.
Sorta like when a guy I knew back in the late fifties bought a brand new Buick station wagon. He drove a logging truck for a living. He got home from work shortly after he got the new car, and decided to take the family for a drive. You can imagine what happened to his passengers when he tried to step on the clutch pedal and hit the power brake pedal!
I don't need to add more confusion to my life.
But then, it is a moot point, since I would never buy a new car of any kind right now.

Except for Versa/Note, Nissan has just about weirded itself out with me!

Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I don't like the current ABS systems either. I prefer to have control over braking. Leave the ABS for amateur go-karting or something similar.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Wouldn't that make it like the old Leaf?
According to the article, you push a button if you want to use the brake/accelerator pedal feature. You have a choice. I am sure the brake pedal will work even if you're using the one pedal feature. Also it probably has the emergency braking feature that requires no pressure on the brake pedal from the driver if the sensor sees something coming up too close.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Im pretty sure it has sensors that panic stop the car. Lots of the new cars have that emergency braking sensors

Old 07-22-2017, 01:30 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
So does your brake lights come on everytime you let off the gas or does it just surprise the car behind you when your car is stopping?

Old 07-22-2017, 01:35 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
So does your brake lights come on everytime you let off the gas or does it just surprise the car behind you when your car is stopping?
With Teslas I believe the light comes on. The Leaf would probably be similar.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:35 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
If it's like the i3, then yes, the brake lights come on when you lift entirely off the throttle to let people know that it's slowing rapidly.

The regen on it is simply more aggressive and you can drive in one pedal mode for most driving and just use the brake pedal in extreme situations. It's easy to get used to. I did it in the Volt all the time when the trans was in L gear. And the i3 I spent 3 days with was even more aggressive and actually quite easy to drive that way (didn't tire out your leg at all).

Looks like the Leaf just has a switchable regen level, like the old Volt setup (in D you got very little regen when you let off the throttle and got most of it when using the brake pedal, but in L you got pretty aggressive regen and rarely had to use the brake pedal for anything)

Old 07-22-2017, 01:41 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
It's good they;re not shipping their pedals broken any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive