Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:43 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times

Advertisements

I will apologize in advance for bringing this topic up because I am sure some well meaning people will disagree and it may turn into a spitshow (or something similar) without a good resolution. There is science involved as well as mechanics and we're also delving into an area where people have long held beliefs, right or wrong.

Sunroof was left open. It rained. Hard. Most water has been removed; upholstery and carpet is still damp and therefore humidity in car is high. Since dehumidification is part of the process of air conditioning I would like to maximize that process to dehumidify the car and finish drying of interior. Let us assume that due to the damp interior humidity inside the car is 95% or more and outside humidity is 75%. Outside temperature will be 75-85F degrees.

I plan to run the car at idle for two or three hours at a time with all windows closed completely; even cracking the windows slightly will allow inside air and outside air to mix and lessen the value of using the A/C system so that is not in my plans. I will also have the Defog turned on. It is my understanding that I should not use the "Recirculate" option as this will continue to bring the damper air back into the car rather than the relatively dryer air from outside. It also seems to me that running the A/C at the coldest setting will maximize dehumidifying by getting more water out of the inside air. Others think running it at its hottest will.

When the air conditioning is not being run I also plan to park car in the sunniest place possible to encourage maximum heat and vent only through the sunroof in a slight tilt position. Would also just cracking a couple of windows benefit the system by allowing more heated, humid air to escape or would that defeat the purpose by preventing the car from getting as hot as possible?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 04:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
It won't dry all the way. You need to remove your interior and let it dry. The carpet has rubber backing and under it the insulation batting is wet. That will take months to completely dry as the water vapor can't escape. Same with your seats and foam.
If it rained hard and you had a lake in the car the water got soaked in everything.

You can try it your way but three hours won't do it imo. I would leave the windows open on a hot day

Old 07-26-2017, 04:44 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
I agree. You need to remove that carpet and let it dry outside.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
The interior will mildew and then you'll have to remove it.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Agree the AC isn't enough. To get a better drying from the AC turn on the AC and set the thermostat to a hot temperature.the evaporator coils will remove moisture from outside air. Raising the temperature will lower the humidity of the air entering the cabin and help to keep the engine cool.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM

712 posts, read 841,366 times
Remove as much carpet/mats as possible from car (to dry outside); then buy 2, 3, or4 DampRid buckets to leave in closed-up car to remove remaining moisture, when car is not being driven. When driving, run AC and keep mode in REcirculate so outside air is NOT brought in.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,044 times
Just dump a few giant bags of rice in the car then vacuum it out in a few weeks. I'm mostly kidding, but maybe I'm not...

Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Talk with a professional detailer, they will know what to do, I would think a wet/dry vac is going to be the main drying tool. I don't think your idea of running the A/C would be very effective, plus running a car unattended is bad ju-ju in several ways - not least that it could be stolen.

What kind of climate are you in, humid or dry?

Old 07-26-2017, 01:45 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Talk with a professional detailer, they will know what to do, I would think a wet/dry vac is going to be the main drying tool. I don't think your idea of running the A/C would be very effective, plus running a car unattended is bad ju-ju in several ways - not least that it could be stolen.

What kind of climate are you in, humid or dry?
Wet vac has been done, didn't pull as much water as expected. Mats removed, two nights with floors covered in newspaper and towels. Very wet first night, minimal second. No problem running car here by itself in private driveway. Area has generally high humidity but very mild today 75-80F, humidity down, light breeze. Had it closed up except for sunroof tilt in sun for a couple of hours - now totally open in semi shade.

Progress seems pretty good so far, upholstery has little or no damp feel left, even with pressure. Just a couple of damp spots left on floor. No bad smells.

Really wish there was a consensus on A/C at coldest or hottest setting and Recirc on or off. Until I see something definitive, I'll stick with the plan that seems to be working. No sun expected tomorrow, so will do A/C again if needed.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Well, for maximum dehumidification, you want to put on the A/C, but with the temp set to hot (what this does is first chill the air to remove moisture, then heat it to further reduce the humidity in the air), and you want to be on outside air, if you go to recirc the air that has picked up water mostly stays in the car.

I still don't think this is a good idea, you need to be checking on the car every few minutes to make sure it does not overheat. Maybe a better idea is to go for a drive wearing light clothing, put on the A/C and maybe turn the heat half to 3/4 up. Driving the car will keep an operator (you) in the driver's seat, and will provide better air flow to the A/C condenser. Plus you could actually go for a pleasure drive, or go somewhere you want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive