Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 AM

2,610 posts, read 2,197,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I hate the feature that unlocks the car doors when you park. Whose bright idea was that?
Locksmiths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,602,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post
I wonder how the advent of driverless cars will address this issue. How will the vehicle differentiate between a pedestrian and a carjacker, or a road rage scenario, where I would think my inclination would be to floor it to get away?
It will be able to read the implanted microchip.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:25 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,875,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Too bad you live in a fantasy world where you think this will almost never happen to you..
The US has over 300 million people and maybe 10,000 carjackings per year. Odds are very good it won't happen to any particular person, especially if the person doesn't live in a carjacking hotspot like Newark or Detroit.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,339,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My car automatically locks the doors once the car is put into drive. I can lock them quicker by hitting the door lock button, but mine lock and unlock with the gearshift.

Mine locks when I get in and put the car into drive. Even when I hit the lock button the second I get in, it wants to unlock until I hit the button a few times. When I go through the drive-thru at my bank, I usually put the car in park and as soon as I do it unlocks. I don't care for that feature at all.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:34 AM

9,438 posts, read 11,195,393 times
I'm guessing if you're a carjacker you don't "ask" folks to do stuff. Control issue.

Keep your doors locked. Carry a spray bottle of windex or some other unpleasant substance, if you can't have pepper spray or it's been declared illegal by the geniuses in your area.

Best thing to do is probably bail out, they want the car more than you unless they're rapists, want a hostage, want your bank car, or are sadists. LEAVE. Even if he has a gun, most bad guys can't hit the broad side of a barn, especially when pumped on adrenaline, especially a moving target, especially when they're thinking of their getaway.

Cops have a pretty low hit percent, and they're trained to shoot and hit.

LEAVE.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,602,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Mine locks when I get in and put the car into drive. Even when I hit the lock button the second I get in, it wants to unlock until I hit the button a few times. When I go through the drive-thru at my bank, I usually put the car in park and as soon as I do it unlocks. I don't care for that feature at all.
Most newer cars allow you to select when the door locks operate. You access this feature through the driver information center. Other cars can be programmed through other means or through the dealer. Check your owner's manual.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,603,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
He was on Oprah. The red headed guy. Never go to the second location!
That was him! He had red hair. I learned a few tips from him, besides that one. Another one for women was don't try to fight a male criminal in hand to hand combat. You'll probably lose because he's stronger and a man's arms are proportionately longer than a female's. He said drop to the ground and fight with your legs. A woman's legs are proportionately longer and are much stronger than her arms.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If im told to drive and I see they are not buckled in, im driving that car right into a tree, telephone pole or a parked truck on the passenger side. Now if its a group of car jackers in the car, they better prepare for a rollover crash lol. Better odds surviving the stationary object, than flipping the car in a rollover crash.
That'll give you time to jump out, if you can get out. But if you have airbags, you'll both come out of it okay, probably. So you better be able to run faster than him, because he'll be going after you, and he'll be crazy mad.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You might be able to change that. My auto lock is changeable to some extent, altho I've never changed it.

All doors autolock as soon as I start driving, but not immediately on putting it in drive. It can be changed to lock later or sooner, I think.

BUT, I lock my doors when getting gas. When I get in after I'm thru, I use my fob to unlock just the driver door. So no one can hop into my car.

Being aware of one's surroundings is important, and I'm guilty of not doing that frequently. I get lost in thoughts about other things. I need to work on that more.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:39 AM

8,091 posts, read 12,813,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't ge that. Here, if you mash the gas all that will do is rear end the car in front of you. There's no way to go around. At least it means the carjacker will have to look for another car to jack If you rear end the one in front of you.
That's why I mentioned leaving at least a car length between your vehicle and the one ahead. You drive AROUND the car ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive