Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:06 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

I had to return my rental today with a "full" tank. If I filled up closer to home, I had to drive about 25 miles to the airport. Even though the fuel gauge would probably still say "full", I thought that would be unfair to the next driver. So I had to go through a lot of trouble finding a gas station near the airport. So how many miles would you drive and still claim the tank is "full?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Usually around 100 miles before it moves off the full mark in my experience. I would not go to extremes to be sure "full" was as full as possible. Just whatever fillup is convenient on the day of turn-in, avoiding the price gougers near airports.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:21 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
I usually try to fill up 10 miles or less before returning it. I keep an eye out for stations near the airport and make note of the prices when I pick it up. If the prices are higher (more than a few cents), I'll fill up closer to my departure site. Smartphones make it easy to locate the closest and cheapest gas.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I've driven rentals to the point where the gauge doesn't move, and they take maybe 1.5 gallons of gas. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have topped it off, but I'd hate for someone to do that ahead of me and now find I have to pump 3 gallons of gas in, vs 1.5.

Only $2 or so, but that's not the point.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:20 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
10-ish miles ...
I pull the airport (or rental location) up on Google Maps and then search for "gas stations" ... then just GPS to one near the airport.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:04 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've driven rentals to the point where the gauge doesn't move, and they take maybe 1.5 gallons of gas. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have topped it off, but I'd hate for someone to do that ahead of me and now find I have to pump 3 gallons of gas in, vs 1.5.

Only $2 or so, but that's not the point.
I guess to me the fact that it's only $2 *is* the point. If the gas gauge is still on "F", I say I'm good. Probably the guy before me and the next guy will be equally cavalier about it. I don't see this as a heavy moral issue. Now a guy who is consistently trying to cheat by a couple gallons, I see this is more neurotic than truly dishonest. Maybe I am morally "relativistic" which I guess suits a physics guy.

Around here a 48 hour rental ends up about $130 from Enterprise. That really lets you drive the car home, have it for your one day of driving where you wanted a rental car for whatever reason, then you drive it back into town. At least for me as the nearest Enterprise is about 40 miles from home, but right close to work. So anyway if it's $138 or $142 with gas (assume $10 worth of gas is what I actually burnt), I am not going to get excited about it either way. Got bigger fish to fry.

Lately Enterprise seems to turn the car over to me with a random amount of gas in it, 5/8 tank or whatever. "Bring it back with the same amount of gas". I generally end up bringing it back with a bit more gas than what it had when I picked it up.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:33 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I had to return my rental today with a "full" tank. If I filled up closer to home, I had to drive about 25 miles to the airport. Even though the fuel gauge would probably still say "full", I thought that would be unfair to the next driver. So I had to go through a lot of trouble finding a gas station near the airport. So how many miles would you drive and still claim the tank is "full?"
Depends on the gas gauge.

If the gas gauge reads full, it's full. If it doesn't it isn't. It's not hard.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
For airport returns, I usually try to be within 10 miles and I always fill to the neck anyway.

Today in my evil TDI Passat, I am at 174 miles and have not yet dropped down to 'full'.

I go 1250+ miles / fill-up. Rental cars bring me back to 'reality' they get only 300 - 500 miles / fill !!!!

the 4x4 I replaced in 1976 with my 50 mpg 'grease cars' used to get <130 miles / tank

Old 07-31-2017, 07:31 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
They probably top it off anyway.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:00 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Never fill up near an airport. Gas is always at a premium near airports. Top off the tank before you get near the airport, and it will be fine.

It's the last chance to refill your rental car before dropping it off at the airport, and it's going to cost you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive