Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times

Advertisements

I wanna hear what all the Mustang haters have to say now that the Mustang not only soundly beat the EVO and STi around VIR, but also outhandled cars like the 370Z Track and Lotus Evora. Thats right, the new issue of C & D's (Lightning Lap) had the new V6 Mustang outpacing the WRX, Genesis coupe, etc. The Mustang GT trounced the EVO X by a good margin, and raped the STi by 5 seconds. Even more impressive is the GT500 which was a full mind-blowing 9 seconds ahead of the STi. Just proof that no matter how much you tweak your little diff settings on your STi, youre still gonna get pwned around some tracks by a live axle Mustang.

Ouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
The engineers at Ford do great work. Very impressive performance by the Mustang.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 AM

441 posts, read 1,327,658 times
Something is telling me that if German magazine would do the test, the BMW would be overall best car on any track too :)
See: ..We lost speed in the uphill esses because the Benz felt squirrelly through there on its first hot lap... Finally, our designated driver didn’t fit that well, finding that the lateral bolsters on the seats interfered with his elbows while twirling the wheel... blah, blah, blah...

But well, that Mustang have 100+ more horsepower and Brembo/tire package, so what do you expect?

Last edited by meet4; 01-16-2011 at 02:13 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Gee, a car with 120 more horsepower came out on top on a track with long straightaways. What a revelation.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,055 times
I prefer the 2005-UP Mustang simply because they look amazing and are an all around sound car for the money. It's no suprise to me that the Mustang beat so many others in tests. I rented an 05' with a V6 out in L.A. and was shocked at the performance of a V6 base model car. I'd own one (convertible though) any day.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,428,032 times
Several points -

1) The way they grouped cars was ridiculous. They have 550 HP cars in the same class as 232 HP cars.

2) The way the VIR was configured (Grand East Course), it offered not one, not two, but three long straightaways. Of course the Mustang is going to do well.

3) The Mustang (V6) was destroyed by the Evo SE, which still has 2 fewer cylinders and 15 less HP.

4) The LL2 class is especially ridiculous. The STi and the Evo have 305HP and 291HP, respectively. The Mustang 5.0 has 412. On a course configured for the maximum in straightaways.

5) The Mustang GT 500 was destroyed by the Corvette. Which had 45 less HP.

6) I'm not sure where you get that the Mustang outhandled the Evora. The 5.0 (it's competitor) posted a 3:08:6. The Evora posted a 3:08:3. With 136 HP less.

7) The Mustang certainly did outhandle the 370Z. The Mustang posted a 03:12:5 and the 370Z posted a 03:12:0. Wait, what?

So what have we learned? Well, when you take cars that are wildly disparate in HP numbers and run them on a track with multiple long straightaways, the cars with loads of HP seem to win most of the time. Shocker.

Additionally, the Mustang doesn't suck anymore. It's still not as good as it could be because of Ford's stubborn insistence on using the equivalent of a horse and buggy for suspension.

Also, the people at Ford seem awfully afraid to put the Mustang on the Nurburgring, which is the true test of all-around performance and handling.

And last, the best bang for the buck sports car still? The Nissan GT-R.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I wanna hear what all the Mustang haters have to say now that the Mustang not only soundly beat the EVO and STi around VIR, but also outhandled cars like the 370Z Track and Lotus Evora. Thats right, the new issue of C & D's (Lightning Lap) had the new V6 Mustang outpacing the WRX, Genesis coupe, etc. The Mustang GT trounced the EVO X by a good margin, and raped the STi by 5 seconds. Even more impressive is the GT500 which was a full mind-blowing 9 seconds ahead of the STi. Just proof that no matter how much you tweak your little diff settings on your STi, youre still gonna get pwned around some tracks by a live axle Mustang.

Ouch.
Till you slap on a bigger turbo and intercooler.

All that aside though, it is cool. One of my friends endlessly harps on how the Evo X is the best car ever since the Ford Sierra (he owns a Merkur XR4ti, coincidentally), and nothing can beat the Evo X. Gets reeeeeeally old after awhile, even though both are very capable cars.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
The Mustang is a very well sorted out vehicle and a terrific value for those that want one...

But I have owned two in the distant past and I am just tired of the 40 YO style inside and out... I haven't given a Mustang a second look in many years.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Several points -

1) The way they grouped cars was ridiculous. They have 550 HP cars in the same class as 232 HP cars.

2) The way the VIR was configured (Grand East Course), it offered not one, not two, but three long straightaways. Of course the Mustang is going to do well.

3) The Mustang (V6) was destroyed by the Evo SE, which still has 2 fewer cylinders and 15 less HP.

4) The LL2 class is especially ridiculous. The STi and the Evo have 305HP and 291HP, respectively. The Mustang 5.0 has 412. On a course configured for the maximum in straightaways.

5) The Mustang GT 500 was destroyed by the Corvette. Which had 45 less HP.

6) I'm not sure where you get that the Mustang outhandled the Evora. The 5.0 (it's competitor) posted a 3:08:6. The Evora posted a 3:08:3. With 136 HP less.

7) The Mustang certainly did outhandle the 370Z. The Mustang posted a 03:12:5 and the 370Z posted a 03:12:0. Wait, what?

So what have we learned? Well, when you take cars that are wildly disparate in HP numbers and run them on a track with multiple long straightaways, the cars with loads of HP seem to win most of the time. Shocker.

Additionally, the Mustang doesn't suck anymore. It's still not as good as it could be because of Ford's stubborn insistence on using the equivalent of a horse and buggy for suspension.

Also, the people at Ford seem awfully afraid to put the Mustang on the Nurburgring, which is the true test of all-around performance and handling.

And last, the best bang for the buck sports car still? The Nissan GT-R.
I was gonna post here but... Well GetMeOutOfHere, just posted EXACTLY what I would've, so yes... what he said.

The new Mustang with the new engines and design is coming along, but it's still not as good as it can be and the finish just isn't there... Sorry.

That said, I've been conemplating getting the V6 one recently, since it's so damn hard to find anything else fun in the pricerange (even used) around here, with a manual transmission.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
The new GT is a solid performance buy and its on my used car buy list. It's definitely not the amazing car the OP makes it out to be but it's great none the less. I'd prefer the 370Z but I think when looking at used car values the GT would be a better buy. I think its more clear that although many of us on these boards respect the new Mustang GT along with a variety of other cars, the OP is extremely biased and has a complete hard on for all things Mustang while automatically (and without thinking) discounting everything else, particularly European/Asian imports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive