Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times

Advertisements

This, to me, is one of the best things I've encountered in moving from Seattle to LA. In Seattle, it is just chock full of passive aggressive left lane campers going 5 under the speed limit or people who are so terrified of driving that they actively - and proudly - proclaim that they stay in the left lane because they feel safer there, even though it's illegal. Drove me up a wall. And yes, it actually increases accidents.

I don't know if it's the road rage and the threat of getting shot if you **** someone off down here or law enforcement or what, but people here seem to largely grasp the fact that the left lane is for passing traffic. They also seem to grasp that if you're going 60, and everybody else is going 80, you're actually the dangerous driver. Which is useless during traffic jam (admittedly, most of the day), but at least it's not a constant headache.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:45 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
One are that I see this all the time are with livery or taxi drivers. They will move to the left most lane and drive slower than traffic as they will then have a ride free of stops and starts for their passenger. The fact that it snarls up traffic for the rest of us doesn't seem to bother them.

I hope law enforcement can keep stepping up their awareness campaign. Driving in Europe is amazing in large part because people are so willing to use the left lane for passing and then will vacate that lane, knowing it will be able to be used again later.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:32 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
LOL here in NJ when you see someone going slow in the left lane on I-80, they typically have those ugly orange NY plates and you just know they're accustomed to sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic across all lanes of the BQE, the LIE, or the Grand Central Parkway, and they have no idea what a "passing lane" is.
Here is a scene from the Garden State Parkway including road rage incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQdcfOZpCU

Old 08-04-2017, 02:52 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Story-time aside, I honestly do *NOT* understand why this isn't universal. Why is it that some states use the "Left lane for passing only" signs/education/mentality while others use "slower traffic keep right"? One of those makes it absolutely certain when you should, or should not, be in the left lane while the other doesn't really say anything.
they all mean the same thing, for me. keep right always especially when you are slow so that others (faster) can pass on the left lane

Old 08-04-2017, 03:13 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
I am guilty of driving in the left lane, but if traffic is moving at a good tick on the right ,I move over.

I know the feeling being behind someone , most memorable is 18 miles on two lanes n Maryland/deleware. Both lanes blocked, would not let me pass, flashing my lights, honking the horn, I was tempted to tap bumpers.
What frustration!

Old 08-04-2017, 03:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
In before the "I'm not going over the speed limit in the left lane so you'll just have to wait until I pass" posters.

I noticed when I lived in Illinois that (for the most part) people used the left lane to pass and then moved over. In Alabama not so much. I've had to pass on the right so many times because some idiot is going 60 (speed limit is 70) in the left lane - this despite the fact that there are signs telling slower traffic to keep right. I think if cops ticketed for that more, these morons might get a clue and stay in the right lane.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:49 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
In before the "I'm not going over the speed limit in the left lane so you'll just have to wait until I pass" posters.

I noticed when I lived in Illinois that (for the most part) people used the left lane to pass and then moved over. In Alabama not so much. I've had to pass on the right so many times because some idiot is going 60 (speed limit is 70) in the left lane - this despite the fact that there are signs telling slower traffic to keep right. I think if cops ticketed for that more, these morons might get a clue and stay in the right lane.
To pass(legally, in leftmost lane) on I95 or Merritt Parkway in CT you have to go at least 70-80mph. Right hand is averaging 65, center lane on 95: 70mph. Problem here is, no enforcement of posted limits, and no respect from drivers for them either. In short: Nobody, the police, drivers, policy-makers, cares.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://youtu.be/4oqfodY2Lz0

Problem one is calling it the fast lane, it is really the passing lane.
They're inconsiderate, dangerous a**holes. Fact. There is no debate. They need to grow up.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:49 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
if others are passing you in the right lane, that means you are too slow and you should move to the right lane so that they will pass you in the left lane.

drivers dont pay attention to the booklet they get when applying for drivers license. they just review the previous tests and memorize the answers. if they read the handbook, they would know that the left lane is for passing

Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://youtu.be/4oqfodY2Lz0

Problem one is calling it the fast lane, it is really the passing lane.
It is sometimes, on some roads, during commute time designated the HOV lane, and when it is, the two of us camp out in the designated lane, which is always on the left, or as you call it, the "passing lane."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive