Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:53 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,304,546 times

Advertisements

bring in a stack of $100s.... tell them this is what I'm paying OTD, take it or leave it. Proceed to start walking for the door when dealer tries to tack on fees, which they will ALWAYS do after negotiating a price, claiming that "everyone adds this fee"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 52,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I've always found it to be around the price + 12% (depending on state sales tax this could fluctuate a bit). 17k to 21k is the dealer padding his commission quite a bit. I'd expect 19k max.
State tax in NY is 8.875%

The registration fees and whatnot aren't that much are they? Should be 18k-19k?

Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkchamp View Post

You have the same tax as I do. I bought a car recently and the dealers that didn't tack on extra fees, I paid roughly 2% for the fees outside of tax so the total I paid after sales price was about 10.875%. Maybe a bit less. My registration fees here are expensive though so not sure about your state.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
"Calculate"??
I don't do no stinkin'g calculations.
I decide what I can afford, and am willing to pay, and that is the OTD price I give them. THEY have two choices: Accept it, or not. The only thing I am willing to negotiate further is their "doc fee". I will split that with them, I pay half, they eat half.
If they accept, we complete the paperwork and I drive away in my new-to-me vehicle.
If they do not accept, I leave.
There is always another vehicle nearby.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Calculate"??
I don't do no stinkin'g calculations.
I decide what I can afford, and am willing to pay, and that is the OTD price I give them. THEY have two choices: Accept it, or not. The only thing I am willing to negotiate further is their "doc fee". I will split that with them, I pay half, they eat half.
If they accept, we complete the paperwork and I drive away in my new-to-me vehicle.
If they do not accept, I leave.
There is always another vehicle nearby.
Yup.

I have never had one single sales person say no to my "this is what I'm going to pay any better include everything" offer.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:33 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,396,797 times
Quote:
I'm dealing with a dealership that has a car advertised for 17k.
First mistake is believing the advertised price. Do research and see what others have paid for the car--start there. Learn to play the car buying game.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 52,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
First mistake is believing the advertised price. Do research and see what others have paid for the car--start there. Learn to play the car buying game.
True. The dealer and the finance guy keep stressing to me though that they will absolutely not negotiate. They have lowered it enough to where it's under market value. With it being so new (16) and so little mileage (13k) they are saying it's a take it or leave it situation

Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 PM

184 posts, read 144,217 times
Quote:
I'm dealing with a dealership that has a car advertised for 17k. But when I asked for the OTD price, he told me it was 21 after taxes and everything. I feel like that's bullcrap though, no way all the taxes and fees add up to 4k.

How do you calculate the bottom line price?

I live in NY btw
I tell them I'm willing to pay XX out the door including taxes and fees and registration, and if they don't match it, I walk out the door. It's worked every time so far.

Quote:
True. The dealer and the finance guy keep stressing to me though that they will absolutely not negotiate. They have lowered it enough to where it's under market value. With it being so new (16) and so little mileage (13k) they are saying it's a take it or leave it situation
Personally, I'd leave it. They may call you back a few days later and tell you that they are willing to drop the price by then. Happened to my friends and they saved quite a bit that way. Don't fall for their hard pressure tactics. Conversely, if you think the OTD price is reasonable, then just get it.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,396,797 times
Quote:
They are eating you alive. Walk away...

Old 08-11-2017, 04:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,735,121 times
Quote:

I agree with this. Offer them $18.5K willing to come up to $19K if you absolutely have to. Anything more than that and you walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive