Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:46 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The real difference will be in high altitude places or in hot summer days the turbos are bit weaker as it needs cold air....
You've got it backwards. Turbos shine at higher elevation. Normally aspirated engines can lose nearly half their power at the highest mountain passes due to the thin air, while a turbo can maintain close to sea level power at high elevations by compressing that thin air. It depends on the turbo, and intercoolers make a big difference (as air warms as it's compressed), but turbocharged engines will always outperform similar normally aspirated engines at high elevations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 05:59 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
BUT V6 are the worst engine design. Every other engine is better. A V6 is inherently unbalanced and requires extra engineering to make it usable. No other engine needs that.
The best design is a I8, but good luck finding one.
I6s are very good too, and sound great, but they are huge, but very smooth.
I was going to mention that but you beat me to it. Subaru makes horizontally opposed engines and are self counter balancing.

The only I8 I have ever seen was in an old Buick.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:57 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times

2018 Kia Rio in that glorious red paint job

Considering Kia's stellar reliability and good looks, this car would be an absolute bargain for model year 2018. Base models won't get the red paint, you'll have to choose gun metal grey, black or white to be able to get one with manual transmission and a sticker price of around $14,995. I am going to take a look at a few in the next few months. They should be hitting dealers soon. If not one of these, our 2011 Kia Soul could be traded for a new...Soul. This is a brand new model re-design for the Kia Rio. I've always liked Kia Rio's, however, in July of 2014 when shopping for a car, I sat in a 2014 Kia Rio sedan. It seemed too small in the cabin for my wife and I. This new Rio has had its corners extended 4 ways to allow for more room inside and a better ride. Early driving reviews can be found on YouTube and are quite complimentary of the small car.

Last edited by elkotronics; 08-25-2017 at 06:06 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 07:50 AM

Kia's are my favorite car overall. They are also the best bargain out there - they are reliable and good looking automobiles. I don't know if Mrs. elkotronics and I would be comfortable in a Kia Rio because of the cabin size. I will need to test-drive one to see. We currently have a 2011 Kia Soul with 87,313 miles on it. 5-speed stick, base model in white with a few tiny ping dents on it. Nothing big. It has a cracked windshield from a bad storm in Lenexa, KS, where I worked over here in the KC Metro. These cars are made so well and are so affordable that I no doubt will get another Kia when I get a new car. Or new to us car.

I get about 26mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway, which is acceptable to me. For the money, I don't think Kia can be beat.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:32 AM

This white 2017 Kia Forte is selling for only $15,214 at George Gee Kia in Liberty Lake, WA. When you look at how flawless a car you're getting for just a tad over $15,000 this deal is unbeatable. George Gee is a dealer I may become very familiar with, as I just scored a job in Wenatchee, WA. Both places are in eastern Washington, though George Gee is about a 3-hour drive east of Wenatchee. It would be worth it to save $2,000 on a new Kia. Wenatchee Kia wants just over $17,000 for the same car.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:53 AM

1968 Datsun 411 Bluebird

These small Datsun's hit American shores in the late 60's and really did not hit us by storm. I like the look of this car - this car was selling at at St. Louis dealer for $12,900 during several months of 2016 and didn't sell. It eventually sold at an Oklahoma City, OK, auction for $3,100. This is the best specimen of this particular car I've seen yet on the net. Others like it no doubt exist. They gave some extra parts with the sale - trim pieces, extra tires and wheels, an emblem, etc. I still may score one of these cars later on when I'm retired. Or perhaps now is the best time ta fit one in, while I'm still working another 4 years.

I'm not interested in speed, obviously. I am more interested in small cars that are well-fit together, well-restored older 60's cars are prime. I enjoy stick shift cars the most, in fact, whether I buy new or used I insist on standard transmission cars. Trucks are not my bag, baby. This car is fit with a 4-speed standard transmission.

Information about this car taken from the ad I read about its sale

Description for Datsun 411 1968
Description
1968 Datsun (Nissan) 411 Bluebird
This rarely seen Datsun 411 Bluebird. Known for their dependability, simplicity, and durability, Nissan's Bluebird series of sedans have become the most internationally recognized Nissan model. In fact the Bluebird nameplate is one of Japan's longest-running nameplates and inspired various other historic Japanese car models, such as the Nissan President and the Sunny. When entering the American domestic market the moniker of Bluebird and most notably their brand name of Nissan were ditched for a more appealing Datsun Series 410/411.
Painted in bright red, his little Datsun is a attention grabber. Overall the paint is in great condition with only very minor imperfections found upon closer inspection. The previous owner stated that a full restoration was completed five years prior; however documentation from the restoration was not included with the purchase of the car. When sitting inside the benefits from the restoration become clear, ll of the interior upholstery was redone in a black and red vinyl combination. This Series 411 Datsun is excellent example of early Japanese cars that entered into the untested American market.
Interior:
Black & red vinyl, n fantastic condition Newer black carpet, n fantastic condition Hurst gear selector Black vinyl headliner Original gauge cluster
Exterior:
Pininfarina styled body Series 411 specific high mounted rectangular tail lights Red rear direction indicators Newer Hankook tires Original 13" black steel wheels
Mechanical:
3L Inline 4 cylinder Two-barrel carburetor 4-speed floor shift manual transmission Front disc brakes & rear drum New exhaust Wishbone & coil spring front suspension Live rear axle with leaf springs
Rare to find in such excellent condition this 1968 Datsun Series 411 Bluebird is a fantastic example of early Japanese minimalist design. Realizing that at the same time this Datsun was bought in the United States, American muscle cars like the Challenger and Corvette were being offered; what a stark comparison of two vastly different automotive cultures produced at the same time.
It should be noted that the windshield has a small crack in the upper left-hand side out of line-of-sight for the driver.

GET OUT AND DRIVE!!!

Specifications Asking Price: $12,900 Miles: 41,874 VIN: 8PL411UT07747 Year: 1968 Make: Nissan Model: Datsun 411 Bluebird Title: Clear Warranty: No Condition: Used Options: Engine: 1.3 Liter Inline 4 Transmission: 4 Speed Manual Body: Sedan Doors: 4 Stock Number: 150616 Lot Number: Exterior: Red Interior: Red & Black

What a dandy, eh?

Last edited by elkotronics; 08-29-2017 at 06:37 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 09:36 AM

459 posts, read 619,714 times
Default Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And when you floor it to pass someone a V6 won't sound like it's going to explode.
Our 2015 Sienna does sound like it is going to explode lol but it don't half shift !!! Noisy as hell.
Best 4 cylinder car I ever had was a Saab 9-5 Aero, superb fuel efficiency and could thrash almost any thing else on the road....rolling through a toll booth and punching it out in 2nd or 3rd gear was a favorite move of mine.
I think a bigger point here is how the throttle and gearbox programming has been done.For example, a Kia Sedona we had has a lot of power but totally lousy programming of the transmission. It was dangerous to drive in my opinion because it would not respond to more throttle for ages, you would push down more and more until you mashed the thing, finally it would respond by dropping 3 gears and spinning the **** out of the tires.....then traction control would kick in and basically shut the engine down for a week !!!

Best car recently was a Mazda 3 I had as a rental, good power, quick to respond and stunningly good fuel economy, I am actually thinking about replacing my disgraced Touareg TDi with a Mazda SUV

Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
That Datsun above probably had about 60 HP and was so gutless it would be dangerous today

Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
1968 Datsun 411 Bluebird

These small Datsun's hit American shores in the late 60's and really did not hit us by storm. I like the look of this car - this car was selling at at St. Louis dealer for $12,900 during several months of 2016 and didn't sell. It eventually sold at an Oklahoma City, OK, auction for $3,100. This is the best specimen of this particular car I've seen yet on the net. Others like it no doubt exist. They gave some extra parts with the sale - trim pieces, extra tires and wheels, an emblem, etc. I still may score one of these cars later on when I'm retired. Or perhaps now is the best time ta fit one in, while I'm still working another 4 years.

I'm not interested in speed, obviously. I am more interested in small cars that are well-fit together, well-restored older 60's cars are prime. I enjoy stick shift cars the most, in fact, whether I buy new or used I insist on standard transmission cars. Trucks are not my bag, baby. This car is fit with a 4-speed standard transmission.

Information about this car taken from the ad I read about its sale

Description for Datsun 411 1968
Description
1968 Datsun (Nissan) 411 Bluebird
Mechanical:
3L Inline 4 cylinder Two-barrel carburetor 4-speed floor shift manual transmission Front disc brakes & rear drum New exhaust Wishbone & coil spring front suspension Live rear axle with leaf springs
Rare to find in such excellent condition this 1968 Datsun Series 411 Bluebird is a fantastic example of early Japanese minimalist design. Realizing that at the same time this Datsun was bought in the United States, American muscle cars like the Challenger and Corvette were being offered; what a stark comparison of two vastly different automotive cultures produced at the same time.
It should be noted that the windshield has a small crack in the upper left-hand side out of line-of-sight for the driver.eh?

Three liter engine? that has to be wrong, right? I remember we had a 1972 Datsun 1200, so called for the size of the engine (actually something like 1173 cc.).

I remember seeing Datsun commercials on TV late at night in the late 60's. They had this jingle that went, "D- D- D- Datsun. The difference is value."

Old 08-29-2017, 02:17 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctos23 View Post
I'm in the market in getting a new car. All three cars I've owned and driven have been V6 cars, and even prior to that my parents vehicles I learned to drive we're both a V6 ford pickup and chevy blazer.

It's not really intentional. Just more or less a coincidence I guess. But I'm always told V6 cars sacrifice very little fuel economy. I'm still wondering if that's true to the case or if a 4 cylinder is efficient enough.

I'm in the market to purchase a 4 door Sedan or small SUV as I've been lately needing more interior space and more people are riding along with me now then before. This is pretty much just a daily driver. Point A to point B. Often times I drive alone to work back and forth, running errands, weekend getting around. Transporting small number of family. An occasional 3rd or 4th may join along.

Not to mention I am in the least bit mechanically inclined. I don't really know anything about cars.

I like the idea of having something practical and fuel efficient. I live in Arizona, so most of my driving is clean road freeways and grid-like surface streets. I'm trying to convince myself if it's okay to get rid of the power of a V6 for some additional efficiency.

My previous cars have been a Nissan Altima 3.5 V6, Chevrolet Impala 2012 with the 3.6 300 HP V6, and most recently, a base model V6 Camaro. Obviously the Camaro is very fun to drive, but it's very hard to see out of, cramped, gets relatively mediocre fuel economy, and isn't passenger friendly.

Reasons I've kept a V6:

- I enjoy the power and smoothness. It sounds good.

- I like having the confidence of being able to make left turns, and merging onto the freeway.

- It's my perception that a V6 is only a very minor cost in fuel efficiency for far more power and refinement.

- It's my perception that a V6 is far more reliable and will last longer.

These are my thoughts of course. I welcome anyone to come along and prove me wrong. I'm looking for solid arguments on why I should drop my philosophy and consider a 4 cylinder.

Case and point, the 2017 Altima receives a EPA of 27/38.

I look at my Camaro which I'm getting a average of 21-22 MPG. I can't help but be intrigued.

Do I really need that power for the kind of driving I do that I described? Or am I being overkill?

Thanks for any input.
First, the 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan.

Second, the 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack.

Third, the 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country.

Fourth, the 2018 Volvo XC90.

I would continue but I think you get the idea.

Start expanding your mind and your experience by test-driving one or more these 4-cylinder vehicles.

If after test-driving a few of these vehicles you still harbor anti 4-cylinder bias, then I think you're a hopeless cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive