Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:40 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times

Advertisements

Pressure washing works for me. I've used an enzyme activated cleaner that works well on concrete but destroys asphalt. Search for that. Muriatic acid (pool acid) will clean it really well, but is best left to professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
If all cleaning methods fail, could just get some spray paint that matches the concrete and shoot a bit on the spots to blend it in. Keep the can in the garage for future use. Probably would last a fairly long time.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
You could try muriatic acid. Be very careful, wear eye protection, gloves and old clothing with waterproof crappy shoes...this stuff is nasty. But I've cleaned some greasy slippery coating that didn't come off with anything...muriatic acid took it off clean.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hi All so these oil stains are about 6 - 8 mos old. They are on my concrete driveway (the whitish kind typical driveways)

anyhow, I tried everything; pour n restore, chomp, kitty litter, brake fluid cleaner, TSP, etc

they just seem to lighten it up, but still noticeable. is there anything or anyway to get rid of them completely or almost barely visible from standing up, up close distance?

or would a professional pressure washing company will be able to take it out?
I was purchasing seat cover cleaner yesterday and saw some products for removing oil. Check in your car washing isle at your local Walmart or big box stores. I also know that a product called "Goop" removes such things and that will be found at your local home improvement store.

I'd use a rough scrub brush after leaving the cleaning product on following the directions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
thanks!! would you happen to remember the one you used?
Had to look it up...haven't had to clean an oil stain since I turned over my vehicle oil changes to professionals a few years ago.

CLR Grease Magnet Non-Solvent Cleaner. I picked up a smaller bottle of this stuff at the local ACE Hardware.

I forgot to mention, I pretreat with an oil absorber to lift out the liquid oil. Leave the oil absorbing granules on overnight, sweep up, then go at it with the CLR Grease Magnetic, a bristle brush, and rinse off with the hose. Always took me at least two hard scrubbings before I was satisfied with the results.

Now for the disclaimer - I notice that you said that it's an old stain. I cleaned my oil spills up immediately after making them. Your stain has probably set, so I don't actually know how my method will work out for you, but at least you can skip the oil absorbant pretreatment.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
First use oil absorb. Follow it up with powdered laundry soap and a push broom with stiff bristles. Spread the soap and lightly wet the surface. Use the push broom to scrub the concrete. Hose it down several times and allow to dry. Now seal and paint the concrete. You're not going to get an even color on concrete but you should start with a clean surface before doing any concrete treatment.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Go to Home Depot

Get a gallon of laquer thinner

Liberally pour it on the stain

Scrub with stiff brush

Pour absorbent kitty litter on the spot while the laquer is still wet. (The non clumping kind) basically get the cheap kitty litter that just absorbs.

Move the litter around then let it soak up.

Sweep it away.

Repeat if needed.
(The laquer thinner loosens up the oil and brings it to the surface where the kitty litter soaks it up)

The problem with using muriatic acid or pressure washing is it "eats" up the concrete surface and the new stains just go deeper. So the concrete would need to be sealed

Trying to spot use muriatic acid creates its own issues as it will clean the hell out of that spot. So you would need to treat the whole driveway.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
[quote=Electrician4you;49209546]Go to Home Depot

Get a gallon of laquer thinner

Liberally pour it on the stain

Scrub with stiff brush

Pour absorbent kitty litter on the spot while the laquer is still wet. (The non clumping kind) basically get the cheap kitty litter that just absorbs.

Move the litter around then let it soak up.

Sweep it away.

Repeat if needed.
(The laquer thinner loosens up the oil and brings it to the surface where the kitty litter soaks it up)

quote]

This ^^^

If still stained, as is likely as the oil is really not a stain but a part of the driveway material at this point, add kitty litter or sawdust at regular intervals and over time it will absorb the oil a bit more quickly than mother nature washing it away.

Bottom line: There is no magic solution. The oil spots are "permanent", but nothing lasts forever. Over time, wear and tear, the elements, and the sun will bleach out the oil. Kitty litter and saw dust at regular intervals will accelerate this process (and make a mess every time it rains. That is the cost of removing the oil).

Old 08-16-2017, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I have had great luck using plain old Dawn. First you scrub the stained area then rinse it off. Then you reapply quite a bit of Dawn then let it just sit for a while. Then scrub again and rinse.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:32 PM

120 posts, read 298,144 times
I've had the same problem on my concrete driveway and the following worked well. Stonetech stain remover for granite by dupont ($20 for the pint on amazon) (recommended by a knowledgeable friend). Layer it on real thick and leave it for a week or two. It will draw it back out and then gently powerwash the hard paste away. Repeat a second time and give it another week and then you will be all set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive