Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 07:06 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Great tips!!! Forwarded. Thank you!!!
Will ask about the wet carpet, but I think the musty air comes from the A/C. It's not there till she turns it on... It will also go away after few minutes, but fills the cabin and it's ugly. Smells like a mix of sewer, mold, and very old water with algae.

I think Electrician is right: it smells like mold growing in the evaporator.
Cleaning the drain hose ... is that a job for the garage, or DIY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 08:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Great tips!!! Forwarded. Thank you!!!
Will ask about the wet carpet, but I think the musty air comes from the A/C. It's not there till she turns it on... It will also go away after few minutes, but fills the cabin and it's ugly. Smells like a mix of sewer, mold, and very old water with algae.

I think Electrician is right: it smells like mold growing in the evaporator.
Cleaning the drain hose ... is that a job for the garage, or DIY?

It's a diy job. You can also use that drain hose to insert the nozzle and spray the coil cleaner Inside the evap housing. Then turn on the AC. The condensation will clean out the foaming agent.
If she has her AC on it should be flowing out condensation water from the drain

Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Somewhere on the passenger's side of the firewall, there is a drip tube, these usually have a "fish mouth" type end, when the A/C is running for a while, you should see water dripping from it. I had an Audi 4000 Diesel where this "fish mouth" stuck shut, interestingly this caused water to pool in the *rear* passenger's footwell (water went along a channel in the unibody). All I had to do is "pinch" the fish mouth open to fix the problem - that and dry the rear footwell with a shop vac.

Anyway check this on your friend's car.

Something else that can help, if the weather is mild enough to do this, turn the A/C off say a mile or two before you stop, so as to let the A/C evaporator and surrounds dry out some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive