Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 04:45 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
It's really really simple. We are on a 70 mph freeway. I'm driving 70 on the left lane because on the other lanes the traffic is 60-65. Unless you are an emergency vehicle with your emergency lights turn on, you have no lawful possibility to pass me. So why do I need to go to the right, perform maneuvers etc? Obey the law, it's how decent people behave
It's called "going with the flow of traffic" - and at least here in California, the passing lane is generally drivers going OVER the speed limit (anywhere from 5-15+mph over). Going exactly the speed limit will get you passed, tailgated, possibly even hit from behind. Like it or not, that is how most urban highways work. And no, the police won't likely pull you over for going 70-75mph in a 65 zone, especially if you're in the passing lane. Maybe at 80mph you'll get their attention, but anything slower isn't worth their time.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as long as the pass is done safely, i dont care if someone passes me.
Some of the "fasties" who've cut me off have been cutting it close. If I had a dash cam, I could probably run such video clips through image processing software, and it could determine that our vehicles would be mere inches from touching.

Barring that, I don't mind. What does bug me are cars that cut me off, and then slow down. Maintain your speed. Otherwise, you had no reason to be in front of me.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:58 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
It's really really simple. We are on a 70 mph freeway. I'm driving 70 on the left lane because on the other lanes the traffic is 60-65. Unless you are an emergency vehicle with your emergency lights turn on, you have no lawful possibility to pass me. So why do I need to go to the right, perform maneuvers etc? Obey the law, it's how decent people behave
OP is one extreme of bad drivers and you are the other.

You are wrong. You're so very very wrong.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 AM

625 posts, read 312,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Unfortunately you are a really bad driver. Please take a driving course as soon as possible before you kill someone. Once you learn how to drive properly you will see the problems with what you are doing.
It's not about a driving course. It's about an attitude. The physical facts are obvious to anyone who cares, but he thinks he has rights, and they trump everyone else's.

He might learn if he is imprisoned for a while. More likely, he will survive a deadly crash, saved by his air bag, and continue to think that it is the other guy's fault. Ideally, he would be given personal instruction by another aggressive person who recognizes him at a road stop.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Certain people just will never get the Speed Limit does not mean maximum speed anymore. The cops do not enforce it. The world has changed and they won't accept it.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Not gonna lie, I literally hope you die in a horrible car accident after getting plowed into by a tractor trailer

You are the root cause of road rage and traffic in America
Wishing death on someone clearly means you have a severe problem. You have road rage already and you're just some chump getting losing your cool on the internet.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm typically a very fast driver. Whenever I'm on the left lane I clock 78mph avg. It's almost a regular routine for me to get around slow left lane hoggers by cutting in front of them if necessary then taking off.

However, I've bumped into a few grumpy drivers.

One situation the car was doing 60ish on the left lane, I was holding about 1/2 a car distance behind the car for about a minute and it wouldn't move. So I tried to pass right around the car and suddenly the guy started taking off and hit above 80mph and he was gone. Then after like 5 mins, I caught up to the guy as I was doing 80mph+ and he slowed back down to 60mph.

Another case, I got around the slow car 40mph car and then got in front of it due to traffic and took off doing 50mph+ the car high beamed me. Other times, I've had cars honked and high beamed me for simply getting around them and taking off.

I never brake check any car so there's no reason someone being passed by me should be offended. Their action of driving slower than avg speed is the offense here.
People are under a lot of stress in their daily lives and sometimes that stress turns into hostility.

I had a lead foot when I was back in my twenties and was sent to a school for speeders. I suppose that the teacher felt that if he got through to one of us he did his day's work. Well he got through to me.
Here is what knowledge was imparted to me: Time is either your friend or your enemy in an emergency. Speed robs you of time and a lack of time robs you of options. Having options is what may save your life in an emergency.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:37 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The law here in NJ. Keep right, pass on left. Someone doing 60 on the left lane is breaking that law. Ask any NYC or NJ driver, is driving on the left lane at 60 right? Most people here would have a different opinion than you.

If you're enraged by someone pushing you on the left lane, perhaps you're part of the problem. Trying to antagonize on the road could be deadly and I'll be honest and tell you that the person from behind always wins.

Is driving 78 in any lane breaking the law or should I say averaging 78 mph?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
No, because I have a "fuel injected engine sittin under my hood!"

Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
One of my in-laws has a doctorate in behavioral psychology and she maintains that aggressive driving and road rage are both highly correlated with sexual frustration. I thought she was just making things up but then I realized that all of the guys that I have known who "fit the pattern" for sexual frustration (misogynist attitudes, desperation, trouble with relationships, etc.) were also generally very aggressive drivers. On the other hand, the happiest and most confident people I know tend to be courteous and safe drivers. I have especially noticed this trend among the sportbike riders that I used to race with. The frustrated guys would drive like jerks on the street and then fail to perform on the track and the confident guys would drive defensively on the street but tear it up on race day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive