Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:47 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times

Advertisements

Question: I have a 2004 Ford Crown Vic LX. I have a tick-tick noise coming from the rear end and as I drive faster, the noise increases in velocity and it gets louder. Its currently in my backyard and the 2 rear tires are jacked up in the air. As I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem with the noise, I found another weird issue. When it's in drive the right rear tire spins but the left rear tire won't if I tried to manually spin it myself. When it's even in park I can spin the left tire, but when it's in gear, it won't spin. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Thats normal from a limited slip rear end, isnt it?

Old 09-09-2017, 05:58 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Both wheels should behave the same.

Don in Austin

Old 09-09-2017, 07:27 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Fairly sure you will only have traction on one wheel. Only one wheel will spin. If the rear end is not a limited slip it will behave this way. I recall doing this a few times when I was a kid with rear wheel drive vehicles. I would jack both rear wheels off the ground and accelerate. Only one wheel would spin. If you stop, or physically restrict/hold the wheel that spins, the opposite side will spin. Think of when you are stuck in the snow in a rear wheel drive vehicle. Only the side that is slipping is spinning. The other side is not.

On a tractor with separate brakes for the right and left rear wheels, if you are stuck, for example, and the right wheel is spinning, and the left wheel is not spinning (it won't be), you can apply the right side brake and the power transfers to the opposite side and this may get you unstuck. This works very well for getting unstuck in mud and snow. I think a non limited slip rear end works the same. I believe what you are encountering is normal for a non limited slip rear end.

A word of caution. Stay completely away from the drive shaft, underneath the car, that runs back to the rear differential. It is extremely dangerous and is similar to a power take off drive shaft on a tractor. The shaft can grab clothing, particularly the U joints.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:44 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post

Meh..

Let's start over -

you've got some kind of speed dependent noise, coming from the rear.

Step one is to inspect the parts that rotate & are *likely* to cause a noise like that.

Check the driveshaft & exhaust, wheelwells for things that might be rubbing - a really bad u-joint can make a ticking noise..

Let it idle on jackstands to check for a bent wheel or axle shaft..

Then look at brakes - specifically the *parking* brake (broken/missing/improperly installed springs?)..

Last, pop the cover off that diff & look for chunks..

Old 09-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
When it's in drive the right rear tire spins but the left rear tire won't if I tried to manually spin it myself. When it's even in park I can spin the left tire, but when it's in gear, it won't spin. Any thoughts?
weird....
conventional diff, the wheels will tend to spin opposite directions
Limited slip, often they will spin same direction, (But either with be 'free')

issues... Check for those loose springs / ebrake (especially the left rear)

ticking can be bearings (including U-joint) / brakes, / diff. / backing plate (or a ROCK in your tire )
worse case... broken limited diff (you don't want that)

Old 09-09-2017, 10:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
You have a common as dirt open axle on that Crown Vic. There are millions of them on the road.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:18 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Both wheels should behave the same.

Don in Austin

Not even close. lol

Only in True positraction which is very rare because you have a hard time making turns.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:01 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Nothing rare about a posi rear end. Outdated maybe, but not rare.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:31 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Question: I have a 2004 Ford Crown Vic LX. I have a tick-tick noise coming from the rear end and as I drive faster, the noise increases in velocity and it gets louder. Its currently in my backyard and the 2 rear tires are jacked up in the air. As I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem with the noise, I found another weird issue. When it's in drive the right rear tire spins but the left rear tire won't if I tried to manually spin it myself. When it's even in park I can spin the left tire, but when it's in gear, it won't spin. Any thoughts?
You have what is known as an open differential (as opposed to limited slip). The behavior you are describing is perfectly normal. I suspect the ticking noise is a universal joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive