Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:47 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Jacksonville, FL is one of the biggest American ports of entry for vehicles (and based on the eastbound vehicle carriers I see on I-10, they ship out a lot of vehicles too) The port has a nice little video of their services including a few 'acres and acres of cars' shots:

Autos - The Jacksonville Port Authority (JAXPORT)

good facts ...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 07:08 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am referring to the former McClouth steel plant and property. All three makers rent space there at times, or used to before the tax foreclosure a few months ago. Cars would appear there, then disappear, then others would appear. Little side note, parts of the avengers was filmed there as well, also part of one of the Transformer movies. For one movie, they blew something up, on a Sunday. Without permission. Sent my wife into a panic and kinda ticked off Trenton government. I have never seen cars stored around Trenton Engine. I drive past it several times a day. Do they have any space left there since the expansion?
I don't know if they have any room left, I know that will ship their cars anywhere that's has allot of room and is secure. Cars and trucks don't stay that long they are rotated like produce is at your local market.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Here's a news story from 2015 about car imports to the port of Philadelphia. How they are moved to various lots and processed before being sent to dealers.

Vehicle-import business is big in South Philadelphia

Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
When I worked at Chrysler's Warren truck assembly plant in the early 80's they were making 55 trucks a hour on 2 shifts, they would empty the final assembly yard on every shift that's 440 trucks a 8 hour shift and many times we worked 12 hour shifts. The big 3 are very good at moving their vehicles from one place to another they can track any vehicle they make and tell we're that vehicle is by the vin number, their warehouse management systems are the best in the world to keep track of everything needed to make a vehicle from the steel to the tires they know what they have on hand and when to order more for every plant they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive