Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:16 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,175,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
And your car doesn't come with crank windows, no A/C, and you can't get out and start the car with a crank like an old Model T. How could you drive something as unengaging too drive as that?
Dumb false equivalency is dumb and false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:53 AM

4,218 posts, read 3,771,629 times
Quote:
And your car doesn't come with crank windows, no A/C, and you can't get out and start the car with a crank like an old Model T. How could you drive something as unengaging too drive as that?

I'll put my Outback on a 10 degree incline with a foot of unplowed snow next to your 2wd sedan. Wanna bet who gets to the top of the hill and who doesn't? I'd take the same bet with any compact crossover assuming I can find the stooopid button to disable the traction control.

A Legacy Sedan and an Outback have very similar pricing. It's about $2K extra for the wagon and the body cladding.
Maybe I am reading you response incorrectly but driving a stick shift is exactly what makes driving engaging.

Also, you can put your outback next to my A4 Quattro 5 speed on a snowy hill and I guarantee I get to the top first. Just because its a sedan doesn't mean it cant have AWD. My wife actually had a 2011 outback for a short time and maybe it was the tires, but that thing was always getting stuck whereas the Audi is like a snowmobile. I'm sure dedicated snow tires on the Outback would have proven differently though.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:57 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,156,801 times
I prefer my sedan over my wife's utility vehicle for one reason only. I like to drive.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:56 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,994,565 times
We drove a Subaru Outback SUS (Sport Utility Sedan) for several years.
It was almost as good during the winter as the AMC Eagle wagons, sedans, and SX/4s that we had previously, but not as comfortable.
For a few years now, we have had a PT Cruiser convertible. It gets around in the snow almost as well as the Subaru did, and better than the Dodge 4X4 truck, until I put the sandbags in the truck, then they are about equal. It is almost time to do that.
When I put the snowplow and chains on the ATV, I'll put the sandbags in the bed of the truck.
While driving skill may have a lot to do with how a vehicle handles on slick roads, good tires are quite likely more important. Around here, most people put snow tires on about this time of year. However, many of us use snow tires all year 'round.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:27 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,062,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
While trucks and SUVs have certainly ballooned in size over the years, so have the family sedans. Nowadays the average sedan is ~ 192 inches long and 73 inches wide... that's both longer and wider than a 1990s Ford Explorer, the model that started the mainstream proliferation of SUVs. Back in those days driving an SUV meant driving a bigger, heavier vehicle, sacrificing fuel economy, comfort, and driveability, as they were all built on truck platforms. But with crossovers like the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, etc. none of those sacrifices have to be made. The crossovers are all roughly 181 inches long and 73 inches wide yet have much more useful space despite being shorter lenghwise, since like hatchbacks they lack a trunk. Most consumers aren't going to invest in snow tires, so it's better to have AWD and higher ground clearance of a CUV than a sedan with FWD and lower ground clearance. It's also advantageous because it's easier to see from a higher ride height, and let's face it with more people than ever before driving 4500+ lb. vehicles as daily drivers nowadays, and more people than ever before driving distracted, when you inevitably get t-boned by an idiot in such a vehicle who blew a stop sign or traffic signal because they were text messaging text messaging, you'll be much better protected in a CUV than you would in a sedan or even worse a compact car. While the statistics show that CUV/SUV sales have surpassed sedan sales as of late, why do so many people still choose the sedan over the more functional CUV?
Yeah, CUV's make a compelling case as sedan replacements, and the recent sales figures attest to that. I have a CUV and I like the ride height, versatile cargo space and "car-like" driving characteristics. However, when driving alone (without family) I tend to drive my sedan since it still handles better due to its lower center of gravity. CUV's have come a long way from the truck-based SUVs they largely replaced, but I still appreciate my slightly more agile (and slightly more fuel efficient) sedan.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,912,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Could you explain how you consider a CUV to be more "functional"? I'm not seeing it.
CUV's offer AWD, have a hatch vs. trunk, have more clearance, are higher up for people with bad knees/ backs... sometimes have plastic bumpers. That's why they are more functional. Similar to why a hatch is more functional than a sedan.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:17 PM

4,218 posts, read 3,771,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
CUV's offer AWD, have a hatch vs. trunk, have more clearance, are higher up for people with bad knees/ backs... sometimes have plastic bumpers. That's why they are more functional. Similar to why a hatch is more functional than a sedan.
Functional is in the eye of the beholder...

Old 10-03-2017, 04:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,917,373 times
More fuel efficient, stylish, better for city driving, and generally cheaper than a CUB. I like CUVs but I do not think they are for everyone...they are replacing the station wagons.

I might get one when I have children but a lot of them are gas guzzlers compared to a regular size car and I'm getting used to 40mpg and scooting around town in a modern and cute sedan vs. A mom car.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:49 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,087,361 times
Quote:
Literally none of those things contribute to driving experience.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Why would anyone not want a sunroof on their car? They should be standard equipment on all cars. And why is it so hard to find a manual transmission on anything but an entry-level model (where it's hard to find sunroofs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive