Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Station Wagons are lame...lets just call them a crossover instead and people drive them like they are going out of style.

Give me an Impala LTZ over a Traverse, Ford Fusion over an Escape, Chrysler 300 over a Jeep Grand Cherokee, E class over a ML Class ANYDAY!!!

If you are not hauling HUGE items, a Full Size or even Mid Size sedan will meet a persons needs that doesnt carry more than 4 passengers and get better gas mileage than these overweight glorified station wagons all day, and handle better too.
Wagons aren't lame. People who buy them are more educated, wealthier, and more discerning rather than just going by "fashion" like the typical crossover buyer

Sedans are for old people who don't need to carry things ever. 9 times out of 10 the driver of a sedan is a senior citizen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
A lot of the arguments in this thread are making sweeping generalities or stereotypes to prove some.

Example a sedan gets better mileage than a CUV? Not necessarily. Plenty of examples out there where the mileages are equivalent, if not so close as to be insignificant (including vehicles off the same platform).

In addition, my own driveway contains a full size Dodge Charger V6 AWD, a Subaru Outback B6 AWD (which is good size but not full size wagon or a CUV, depending on who you ask), and a Chrysler Crossfire V6 RWD. EPA ratings on them are 18/21/27 for the Charger, 20/22/27 for the Outback and 15/18/23 for the Crossfire. Certainly not a representative sample of the marketplace, but this anecdotal sample sees three vehicles, all V6, with the "CUV" having the best city and combined mileage and tying on the highway (with the sedan) and the smallest, lightest, and least powerful of the three pulling in a distant third. Add to it that the Outback has just as much passenger room as the Charger, and infinitely more cargo carrying capacity... and all the anti CUV arguments seem to fade fast. I will note the equivalent Legacy with same powertrain and platform is rated 20/23/28, with that extra highway overall and highway MPG due to the lower ground clearance providing slightly better aerodynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post
I prefer a small sedan to a CUV/SUV for two reasons: I live and drive in a city with rather limited, tight parking. It's fun to see some behemoth attempt to squeeze in a spot and fail then come in behind them and easily tuck my car into the same space. :-)
The other reason is that my fifties-built house has a below grade garage that's unlikely to accommodate a car much wider than a Ford Fusion (parked my mom's car in there to see if it would easily fit. The garage's usually occupant is my Sentra.) I don't see the point in having a garage if it cannot house my ride. I do wish that my car had a slightly higher ground clearance, but as far as driving in the winter, a good set of snow tires and driving for conditions gets me just about anywhere I need to go--even up my short, steep driveway and the miles of hills around this city.
Not all CUV's are behemoths, just like all sedans are not micro city cars. There are plenty of CUV's that would meet your stated needs just as well as a sedan, and plenty of sedans that would not.

Last edited by Checkered24; 01-18-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 01:44 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Wagons aren't lame. People who buy them are more educated, wealthier, and more discerning rather than just going by "fashion" like the typical crossover buyer

Sedans are for old people who don't need to carry things ever. 9 times out of 10 the driver of a sedan is a senior citizen
This is pure nonsense. I drive 70k miles a year for work in the land of the senior citizen, the state of Florida. Even here, you're not even close. I see lots of things on the road every day. One thing that I don't see is 9 out of 10 sedans being driven by senior citizens.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
My mother had a brand new RAV-4 , she let me drive it and it was just not a good drive, especially on the freeway, my sisters 2006 Dodge Stratus felt more smooth... I drive a 2013 Camry and it drives better than all those cars.... luckily she got rid of it and she has a brand new Camry now, she loves it way more.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:49 PM

973 posts, read 914,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
...9 times out of 10 the driver of a sedan is a senior citizen
lol, nice hyperbole.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I give in to the small CUV craze. Everything about them seems to be cool, sitting high, easy to get in and out of, prices that are not unreasonable compared to a nice sedan.

I think the outgoing GMC Terrain is the best of the lot.
They're also slow, handle poorly, are are not engaging to drive. Performance, handling, chassis dynamics, etc., are more important to many folks than sitting up high. To each his own, but I find that sedans/wagons offer a nice compromise between full blown sports cars and SUVs. CUVs are pretty much good at nothing that matters to me.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:36 AM

310 posts, read 202,773 times
I have an 2017 Impala and it's an elegant beauty with generous trunk space, and comfortable passenger room for four, or even five adults. Drives like a dream and parks easily. It'd be a shame to see a sedan like this become a dinosaur.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:19 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
The looks of a sedan

Old 01-21-2018, 08:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
I don't like sitting up high. I like small, sporty cars. zoom-zoom.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:38 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Exactly - I have a hard time seeing why anyone would prefer a RAV4 over a Camry. I get the hatch convenience but the handling trade off is too much for me.

Simply put, most people don't need any race car handling in the daily commute. But they CAN use the versatility of the CUV/SUV bodystyle and layout. An example is my son's situation. He had a BMW 328d wagon and a BMW 330i ZHP sedan. But the wagon just couldn't hold all the stuff he needed when taking his baby and two dogs when they went to our house or his in laws. So he let the lease run out on the wagon and got a new CR-V. The CR-V holds the baby seat much better (rearward facing seat) and carries the stroller, baby gear, AND dog crates in the rear, while still being comfortable to drive. when driving with the family (which is most of the time in the CR-V), he's not racing around and doesn't care about the slight lack of handling at the limit. And if he wants to have that sporty feeling, he just drives the BMW 330i ZHP, but he can't carry the family in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive