Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:34 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

I actually really liked driving a 20 year old rust bucket as I do think people base their perception on what you drive and wear.
1. You got to know who the snobs were and 2 other people were far more helpful and open.
As for car dealerships, they all treat women terribly. Don't know if they treat rich women different than poor women, probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I keep my clothing informal because it's comfortable. I also literally have zero occasions ever to dress up for on a regular basis. For those one-off times, I have a couple of outfits.

I see zero reason to spend money to impress people I either don't know or don't like. Being financially independent is supposed to buy me freedom, not handcuff me to superficial, meaningless nonsense.

The happy side effect here is that I have learned quickly who the genuine people are and who the snobby, superficial asshats are. And when the asshats figure out the truth and come sniffing around, I delightedly give them das boot. It's not done on purpose or with any intent to out the asshats, but it's made life easier in the sense that I can tell who likes me for me and who is one of those dumbass sheeple running with the herd.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Are you guys talking about buying cars or dating women?

Old 10-11-2017, 11:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Not cars, but I learned a valuable lesson early on in life. A friend of my parents' would take me (I was 12 or 13) from the small East Texas town we lived in to Dallas to the original Neiman Marcus (Mr. Stanley still owned it). The service was top notch, always. However, one day an old woman walked in dressed almost like a bag lady. The air electrified immediately, the service for everyone went up a couple of notches. It was explained to me later that that woman, old money, could buy the entire store AND Mr. Stanley if she was of a mind to, and NOBODY worked at Neimans who didn't know better than to judge based on what someone chose to wear into their store.

At about the same time my Daddy had a friend, an old grandfatherly guy who I never saw in anything but overalls. We used to go out to this guy's farm and go fishing for bass with him in his jonboat. I was mostly impressed that he had a stocked bass pond. It was a few years before I found out who Clint Murchison, Sr., was, and that small countries trembled when he cast his eye in their direction. I did learn that some of this appearance of his was a test to see who had enough substance to look past the surface, and to know who could be manipulated in a deal because they didn't.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:05 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Even if you are not trading in, they insist on holding your keys when you go take a test drive. They say it is security,but it is really just a pressure scam.

I only once traded in a car, it was a POS that was probably worth about $2, but the dealer wanted a way to entice me away from other dealers and I was buying on a GM employee plan where they were not allowed to negotiate price. Instead, they offered me considerably more than the car was worth. They really needed one more sale of the particular type of car I was buying before the end of the quarter - some kind of bonus incentive program for dealers.
Uh...no. I've bought 5 new vehicles in the last 5 years. 2 cycles and 3 Grand Cherokees. Not the most expensive things on the planet, but they're not cheap either. I've never been asked to hand over my keys for a test drive.

I've always walked into the dealer wearing either jeans and a t-shirt or jeans and cargo pants. If I'm stopping on my way home from work I'm in a polo and slacks. Great service, no hassles and I'm usually in and our within 2 hours, but, I always do my negotiating over email and whatnot. I only go to the showroom to sign papers.

For what it's worth, the dealer I go through handed me the keys to a $65,000 Ram 1500 on a test drive. My Jeep was in for a TSB and I asked them if they had a Ram with the air suspension and a few other options I was looking at so I could see how it drove and whether my wife could get our baby into the car seat. I drove off with Copied my license, I signed the temp registration and off I went on a 2 day test drive. Took less than 5 minutes from me asking what they had to keys in hand.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:21 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I've never handed over keys for a test drive. They just take copy of license and off you go.

Handing over keys usually comes as part of the trade inspection.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-11-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 12:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenobiaMullins View Post
Right after college, I went to a really good job that paid me a comfortable six-figure income. After making due financial calculations I decided that I could easily afford a new BMW 328i, Infiniti G37 or a Mercedes C250. I understood the depreciation of a new car, maintenance costs, insurance rates, etc., but as a 23-year -old, the thrill of being able to comfortably afford these cars along with the considerable discounts being offered on those cars in December 2011 helped me disregard the cons and start shopping for them.

I assumed that my shopping experience would match the premium nature of these cars, but I could not have been further from the truth. Moderator cut.
First post and it's about something from 2011?

Just because a person makes 6 figures, doesn't make them rich.

I haven't had any issues at any dealerships. If one treated me like crap, I'd leave and find another one. No biggie.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:52 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Car Salesmen are like sharks. They evaluate you your every move from the moment you drive on the lot to the moment you leave. They take note of the car you drive, the clothes you where, the way you talk, everything to evaluate how much money they can get out of you. I swear they have the place bugged so they can secretly run a credit check as soon as you tell them your name. Heck I would not be surprised if they had a license plate reader to do that as well.

That said, I never negotiate car buys based on monthly payments. I refuse to discuss financing until I have the price of the vehicle including all the ripoff fees they add on. I have literally walked out of the showroom, screaming and yelling about what a ripoff place it was, when they tried to add on fees to the price we agreed to in emails. The emails clearly said all fees are included in the quoted price. I have even later sent them emails when I was looking for my next car saying I would not consider their dealership since they tried to screw me in the past. They did not like that and tried to apologize but I do not care. Don't waste my time. Jay

Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Two stories, one funny and other not. First, the Not:

1999: Worked for World's Largest Software Company. Friends and I were mostly lab rats, very technical nerds in our 20s and 30s for the most part. We didn't dress well and looked the part. Not uncommon, to this day, to see a lot of people like that on the streets of Eastside stumbling around...and pulling up in Porsche GT3 RS, Ferrari 430, and similar. I literally saw a complete and total nerd peel himself out of $225K RS the other year, at the dealer, and wasn't sure if I was envious or dumbfounded. Made my Turbo look like it was going in reverse, standing still there in the lot next to it. Think of Michael Schumacher dragged through a swamp, that was this guy.

I'm no George Clooney, either, but presentable. When necessary.

So here we are, buddy Nat and BB (me), wander into the BMW dealer. Nat was buying, baby: he had car fever and wanted a 325i. I know the signs. I took him in . Now, this is a dealer to know two things about: one, located mere miles from 80 building campus housing 50K well-paid nerds, see first paragraph. Two, notorious for crap service if they didn't like the look of you.

Well, that day, they lived up to No. 2. They ignored us. Nat asked for help, and was brushed off ("there in a minute!"). Fifteen minutes later, I said loudly, "Nat, let's get the ____ out of here!" and we did...

...straight to Mazda a mile down the road in Bellevue (since defunct). He bought a snazzy coupe, that very evening, for $25K which was going price back then. Call it $35K today. $35K walked out of that other dealer due to bad attitude!

2016, happy ending: BB walks into Porsche where he's done one deal, four years prior. Try to setup a complex deal with a sales guy. The guy is not unfriendly, but seems a bit neutral. I try and energize him. Promises to "get back to me."

BB goes home, and calls good friend the Sr. Principal Dev at (large software company), who knows GM of Audi here in town after half-dozen deals between himself and his friends on A4, A6, S4 (2x), RS5, and an R8. Audi and Porsche are owned by same group in town here, and in Germany "I think".

BB receives phone call from general manager of Porsche and is invited down, about two hours later. Original salesman is about vomiting on himself to help. I chose to chuckle a little, not be offended. Deal is complicated. Five days later, we're done. Two weeks later, car shows up from Little Rock.

Sometimes, it's who you know.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've never handed over keys for a test drive. They just take copy of license and off you go.

Handing over keys usually comes as part of the trade inspection.
Yeah, I've never heard of leaving keys for anything, either. Even when the salesman didn't come on the test drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive