Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
That was only for the G8, which was the top of the line Pontiac. Considering they still go for $30k+, they're slightly out of the OP's price range.
Only the GXP sells for over 30K. The CTs and the boring C8s are much cheper, but you can nto going to find one for $2K unless it is salvage title.

For the OP if you want to use anecdotes (people's personal experience with their particular cars) here are some examples of some of the cars we have had in our family in the past several years. I am skipping the new cars, since that is outside your price range:

2003 Volvo V70 XC AWD ($1800)- 280,000 miles. However when it died, it did so dramatically (engine seized up on the freeway and burst into flames). When it needed repair, everything was expensive and difficult.

2002 Chevy Express Van (bought in 2005, so it was about $16K, but near the end, ti was a $2000 car). 201,000 miles Death by 1000 cuts.

2003 Ford Ranger bought for a bit over $2000, but we had it for seven years. Died at 192,000 miles brake lines blew out (all of them) and transmission was failing. We gave it to a young mechanic in exchange for fixing the volvo. He repaired it and it is still on the road.

1990? Ford Ranger (my brothers) ($2000) sold at 310,000 miles still running rusted out, sold for the engine and transmission.

1996 (or 8) Lincoln Town Car ($2300) 175,000 +/- Ignition, transmission, emissions system. Also gave it to the mechanic.

2003 (I think) Saturn ION (Bought for $500). Close to 275,000 or more. Nylon Steering gear stripped out. Too expensive to replace.

1989 or 1990 Ford Thunderbird LX. (v-8) (bought for $500). We had it to 160,000 miles. Sold it because we had too many cars. It was still running, auto transmission had issues (torque converter shudder) but was still functioning.

1988 Dodge Ram Conversion Van. 175,000 miles. Thing was a tank. Abused a lot. Dodge vans went downhill after the 1980s.

2000 or 2001 Ford F-150. ($3300) 190,000 miles. It just wore out. we bought it cheap with a lot of miles and only drove it for a year. transmission and engine were fine (except coil packs) but too many smaller things failed.

The Bad:

1996 Mercury Sable. ($2500) about 65,000 or less - everything broke. Transmission, brakes, suspension, ignition.

1996 Camaro Z28 (manual of course) about 110,000 8 spun bearings. Previously head gasket x2, abs module x2, fuel injectors. Loved the car but it was not durable. (Bought new, had it for 18 years, then my son had it for a year).

1998 Honda Civic ($1500) - transmission dying and sub frame rusted out.

1996, 1998 and 2000 Dodge Minivans ($1500 - $2000) I do not think any of them made it to 150,000 Transmissions (one failed twice), plus death by 1000 cuts.

1998 (I think, could have been a few years newer) Ford Contour SVT ($1100) Frame rusted out, brake lines blew out, ignition switch failed, windows woudl not work, seats would not move, there was one more big item. It was a terrible car but my son loved it.

2000 dodge ram conversion van. Lots of problems. Most of them were caused by repairs after an accident. Totaled by another accident at about 50,000 miles. Bought this one new.

1998 Ford F-150. 150,000 miles. lots of trouble, oil pump broke and engine seized.

2002 (I think) Toyota Corolla - only lasted 6 weeks. Automatic transmission failed, lots of electrical problems.

1973 Jensen Healey - Do not buy one of these. It is just a toy, mostly sits in the garage broken.

1989 Ford Superbird. 100,000 miles. Head gasket blew out just after we got it. Awaiting repair and we will see how it does then.

We currently have a 2006 Chevy Express Conversion van 180,000 miles that we might sell for $2000 if we were ready to sell it, but it has a lot wrong with it. Drives ok, but lots of strange noises from the suspension, eats tires. tons of little things broken, hundreds of dents and scratches (5 kids learned to drive in it). Still we will probably drive it to Denver and back soon. This is the best road trip car we have ever been in, more comfortable than a BMW 7oo series LI; and Mercedes S class. Terrible MPG, but for travelling around the country, impossible to beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 AM

27 posts, read 32,516 times
Coldjensens, this is real drama )) thanx for story, i'v got much info about models !

Old 10-27-2017, 09:17 AM

1,195 posts, read 986,556 times
I would go for a more recent model year, definitely after 2000 that isn't rotted in hidden areas or rusted out from salty northern driving. American brands are easier to have fixed if they need repair or maintenance. They are also more often big enough to travel comfortably, if you plan on sleeping in the car or loading a few belongings. I had a '97 buick skylark and loved it, the twin cam power and acceleration was solid. I turned it over in a winter accident which is the only reason I don't still have it.

You may also want to look into a small pickup truck, many are cheaper for some reason.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:25 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Another idea is to find a excellent deal on a small car like a Ford Focus or Cruze and buy it for $8K and resell it a year later for $6K, so you get your $2K worth and anyone will buy a $6K car.

Another idea is look into buying a terminating lease car if they have $12-15K miles left on the lease.

Buying a $2K car can last a year with little to no money if it has been well kept of be a $2-4K nightmare in repairs.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Whats the plan for this $2000 car? just around town driving or an epic cross country adventure?
My advice ? a well cared for Toyota product from a private owner.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:10 PM

27 posts, read 32,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Whats the plan for this $2000 car? just around town driving or an epic cross country adventure?
My advice ? a well cared for Toyota product from a private owner.
not epic it's like road trip through 3 west states with friends
yeah, now we consider to find mechanic guy ... well cared or not this only can see after strip off half of engine

Old 10-27-2017, 06:33 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Some people are absolute frauds when it comes to cars, so do due diligence on the owner. Trust me on this, as I ripped off myself earlier this year on a Volvo that I was purchasing to teach one of my nephews how to drive because his parents gave up and took away the car they bought him because he never completed his driver's license. Everything looked good, etc., but the maintenance records were fraudulent, and the deal ended up being horrible with a car that drove for only a few miles under my ownership as it needed a new transmission to the tune of $7,500 as it was trashed and the unscrupulous dealer poured in a bottle of fluid, but it failed within an hour of my ownership. Find out who they are, if they live there, whether they own or rent the house, etc. Google provides a lot of details, and you can determine if it helps you feel comfortable with the seller.

Another car that you might consider is the Honda CR-V. They are very reliable little crossovers, as I know someone who does not maintain her cars too well who always buys one and has never had an issue. Just make sure the usual Honda maintenance has been completed, or budget for it -- timing belt, serpentine belt, hoses, fluid changes, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-27-2017, 08:32 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy82 View Post
not epic it's like road trip through 3 west states with friends
yeah, now we consider to find mechanic guy ... well cared or not this only can see after strip off half of engine
Now that could be an adventure. I'd be surprised if you can buy a 2k car with good road worthy tires on it. Be prepared to walk away from this car if it breaks down on said trip.

If you want less adventure, shop car rental deals.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:35 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If I wanted a used car and I wanted to spend no more than $2K, I'd look for one that is being sold by an individual who demonstrated that he maintained the car.

When I was selling that old car, I was that guy. I had bought the car new and maintained it for 18 years. I sold it for $900 but it included a log of all repairs and maintenance items from day 1. I also threw in the shop manual. And, most important, it had received a new timing belt and water pump within its previous 10K miles.

My buyer was satisfied. I sold that car in 2 days.

Look for that seller.
We who do our own repairs only fix whatever is necessary, but sometimes those cars with owners who had them professionally serviced may have many parts replaced whether they needed it or not.

A loss of coolant might mean a hose clamp needs tightened to a DIY mechanic, that knows what he's doing, or a new radiator, all hoses and a water pump to a well off owner who likes to take care of his vehicles by having them professionally serviced.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Now that could be an adventure. I'd be surprised if you can buy a 2k car with good road worthy tires on it. Be prepared to walk away from this car if it breaks down on said trip.

If you want less adventure, shop car rental deals.
One of the best trips I ever took was with 3 buddies in $1500 4WD Suburban. Bought it off a used lot, changed the fluids, and loaded it up with canoes and camping gear. Drove 7k miles from Minneapolis to Fort McPherson, Canada and back. Nothing broke that couldn't be fixed with duct tape. Sold it afterwards for $2000, which paid for a lot of the gas for the trip. Lots of room, nothing to worry about, perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive