Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,776,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy82 View Post
Hi ! My friends want to buy a car under $2000 for traveling
, what advice you will give, what can be reliable for 10k miles ? Thank you
guys, please with no trolling

P.S. there some ideas from craiglist:
mercury sable 2000 / buick century 2003 / honda Odyssey 2002 / isuzu 1998
Mercury Grand Marquis 1999 / Chrysler Sebring 2003 / Ford Taurus 2006 / Pontiac ... ?
what car from this list most reliable for long trip ? Or ...toyota camry but not to much good for this price
My advice is get some tools and get ready to learn. Because *anything* for $2000 is going to require some repair. We're talking 15-20 year old vehicles here, so condition is going to matter at least as much as make and model. Find a car that's boring and reliable... and in good mechanical condition.

From your list, that would include:

The Buick (IF there is no sign of coolant in the oil, or external coolant leaks on the engine).
The Mercury (IF the transmission shifts well and the ATF doesn't smell burnt)
The Camry (possibly the best choice on your list)
Corollas are good.
SOME Hondas are good... but there have been lots of transmission problems, and it doesn't affect all models. Be careful and research if you get a Honda.

You don't want a dodge/chrysler- ever. Nissans are iffy. Stay away from Hyundai and Mitsubishi. Not sure about Isuzu but I have my doubts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:11 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,157,015 times
If $2k was all I had to work with I'd be looking at 91-93 Accords or Camrys. The day after cockroach of car world.

The biggest LOL in this thread is used Audi. That is like setting money on fire

Old 10-27-2017, 03:31 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,545,150 times
Toyota Camry or Corolla. Period. Always reliable, parts available if they need to be fixed. Non-Toyota brand parts are available for cheaper & are good. If you don’t know how to do simple maintenance yourself (oil change, belt replacement, including serpentine, tire rotation, brakes), it’s time to learn...go online, especially YouTube tutorials. The cars that you listed are POS.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:38 AM

27 posts, read 32,598 times
thank you guys, so much usefull information
recently friends have told story me about guy who bought old corolla for $ 3000 and did not do anything with a year

Old 10-27-2017, 04:16 AM

27 posts, read 32,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Toyota Camry or Corolla. Period. Always reliable, parts available if they need to be fixed. Non-Toyota brand parts are available for cheaper & are good. If you don’t know how to do simple maintenance yourself (oil change, belt replacement, including serpentine, tire rotation, brakes), it’s time to learn...go online, especially YouTube tutorials. The cars that you listed are POS.
maintenance is not a problem, i've had 3 dirt bikes, enduro for 4 years 2 stroke and 4 stroke, all services i did by myself

Old 10-27-2017, 04:18 AM

4,225 posts, read 3,773,514 times
Though I expect repairs in the future, my 98 Audi for $1500 has not cost me a cent out of pocket and I have put 20K miles on it since last year. In fact, when I had my brand new GMC, I enjoyed driving the Audi over it and ended up ditching the new truck because it made me realize you don't have to spend a lot to get a quality vehicle. The only thing it requires is topping off the oil every couple of weeks. If this car does break it wouldn't make sense to put any money into it as its not worth it but it has paid for itself in the wear and tear it has kept off our other vehicles. I think maintenance records are the #1, as well as researching the vehicle to know what it may require at certain intervals.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:37 AM

7,206 posts, read 9,353,135 times
If I wanted a used car and I wanted to spend no more than $2K, I'd look for one that is being sold by an individual who demonstrated that he maintained the car.

When I was selling that old car, I was that guy. I had bought the car new and maintained it for 18 years. I sold it for $900 but it included a log of all repairs and maintenance items from day 1. I also threw in the shop manual. And, most important, it had received a new timing belt and water pump within its previous 10K miles.

My buyer was satisfied. I sold that car in 2 days.

Look for that seller.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,766 posts, read 58,200,174 times
Lots of good advice, but coming from someone who actually drives beaters....(for last 45 yrs)... I would buy:

One-owner for sale BY Owner
Likely Saturn or Scion. Or something like a Pontiac VIBE — actually a Toyota design.

You will not find a used Toyota cheap.
Honda has it’s own issues. Toyota is often less trouble.

Be sure you get records to know when the last timing belt was done.... you want a fresh timing belt. They last about 100,000 miles. If original owner / seller says NEVER had the Timing Belt changed... and car has 200k, that is a bad sign.... (Unless that car has a timing CHAIN and not a belt.)

Old 10-27-2017, 05:37 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,088,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The last years of Pontiacs were actually Australian Holden designs and might be pretty good.
That was only for the G8, which was the top of the line Pontiac. Considering they still go for $30k+, they're slightly out of the OP's price range.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,881,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
At that price level the brand and model is almost immaterial. You're looking for a well cared for,
well maintained, survivor of years and (likely) multiple owners.

But even at that price you need to EXPECT that anything worth buying will still need something
that's obvious (Tires? Brakes? Clutch?) and something else you won't see. For these reasons
whatever your budget might be you need to set aside a portion for that work to be done.
^^^Bingo. Mileage on the odometer is also a huge factor. My one son flipped cars for a while, and he always dealt with cars in that price range. He looked for ones well under 100,000 miles, few owners, well kept, and generally cars like Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and full size Fords or Lincolns. He might have to put a few bucks into them to make them right, but they were very dependable and had a lot of years left in them.

There is no one criteria to look for, you have to look at multiple areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive