Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:44 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times

Advertisements

A driverless shuttle bus was in an accident on the first day the electric vehicle was being tested in Las Vegas.

Self-driving bus gets into accident on its first day in Las Vegas - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
The day I get a self driving vehicle, just put me on life support or shoot me to put me out of my misery.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Funny how they blamed the human driver. They keep blaming people. I say let them out there without a human and lets see those results.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:31 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Funny how they blamed the human driver. They keep blaming people. I say let them out there without a human and lets see those results.
Because the driver was at fault. The bus stopped when it sensed the truck. The truck then backed into the bus.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Why would they design the bus without the ability to back up? Stupid.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:57 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
We test autonomous vehicles all the time at one of the companies I work with. For the last 2 years, and many tens of thousands of miles of on-the-road tests, it is always the human drivers that result in accidents. If your replaced the empty seat with a human driver the accidents would have still occurred, but at a much higher rate.

Last edited by Stonepa; 11-10-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,828 times
Misleading title. The autonomous vehicle was stopped and got ran into by a human driven vehicle.

And in case you've never ventured onto the streets before, human beings are absolutely horrible drivers.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:31 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,829,401 times
The advent of semi and fully-autonomous vehicles (FAV) have required us to consider various operating policies that will eventually be set by public laws. Here's a new one:

Since FAVs are predicted to be so much safer than a human-directed vehicle, and therefore much less likely to be the one at-fault for an accident with a non-FAV, then there are two options:

Design the FAV to be able actively 'escape' the accident. Make it's software and hardware able to identify and dodge and evade potential accidents that would be caused by human drivers. OR:

Let them passively accept the damage, like what happened to the bus above. But also provide dash-cams that record everything, and then get reimbursed for the damages, (to the FAV and it's passengers). This latter scenario would be easier, simpler, and much cheaper to do.

This second one would have many more accidents (and human injuries and causalities), but would much easier to implement. So it's a social question, not technical.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:01 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
Some of the issues for automated pilots is adapting to the environment and it often takes human intuition.

How many times have you used the horn to warn someone off, dodged a driver, read someone's face and adjusted, saw wandering and anticipated a lane change or turn, ignored lane lines to get around a bad situation, challenged a stream of drivers to get a position in a non metered situation, hurried or slowed to get out of a bad clump of traffic, etc. etc.

Even if autonomous vehicles take off there will be decades of human drivers and the need to deal with an unlimited number of unanticipated variations.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
The thing is self driving vehicles are following the rules of the road and problems will occur when a human does something that is unexpected like swerving into a lane or backing out without looking.

We have all seen accidents and most are caused by someone that was not paying attention. Our defensive driving skills may allow us to avoid some drunk driver from crashing into us but the sensors on an autonomous vehicle may not be up to the challenge just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive