Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:31 PM

31 posts, read 31,867 times

Advertisements

Everyone keeps saying that used cars are the best vs buying new, because a car will lose most of its value after 1-3 years. But this is not always true. Many used cars that are 1-3 years old are selling for just slightly less than a new car of the same model so it actually makes much more sense to buy a newer one, considering that you are the first owner and there are no maintenance questions.

Examples of these cars that I've seen are the Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Tacoma, and Audi Q5. So what's the point of everyone saying buy a 2-3 year old used car instead of new? I like new cars and I wouldn't buy anything that's more than 3-4 years old. If these used car prices are still high, I would rather just buy new.

are there people like me who like to buy new all the time, but recently converted to buying used? And do you buy used from dealer certified? If I'm buying a German or other European car, I usually like buying new or absolutely knowing what maintenance was done because they are finicky cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 03:35 PM

11,367 posts, read 16,746,710 times
Nothing beats new, but cars that hold value when bought new are few and far between.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:42 PM

31 posts, read 31,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Nothing beats new, but cars that hold value when bought new are few and far between.
True - I keep cars at least to the 7 year mark so I don't care about value. It's these people that get tired of a car after 3 years that should care about value. I care more about lasting without major engine or transmission issues.

I need to get a car that gets me the best long-term lasting value - so used cars seem to be out of the picture with the current used car value market.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM

17,346 posts, read 12,305,057 times
Yeah little reason to buy a couple year old Subaru or many trucks in this market.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:20 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,141,998 times
I always buy new because so many people do not maintain their cars properly. I buy my cars new, maintain them to the letter and have few, if any problems.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:36 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,439,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAAudi View Post
....with the current used car value market.

I chopped out all but the important bit.

Most people (myself included) who talk about buying used, last bought in a different market. 2 of my vehicles I bought 3~4 years old for 1/3rd their original sales price. I'm 15 years out with owning those vehicles ~ yeah, buying used was EASILY the smarter decision back then.

Looking at replacements now? Those deals don't exist and I'm not going to spend 5% less than new for a 3 year old, 50k mile car.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:01 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,093,495 times
From what I've seen, the Tacoma isn't worth buying used. Used prices aren't far off from new prices for recent models.

Throw in Toyota CPO vehicles which receive the balance of 100,000 power train warranty versus new car warranty of 60,000 mile power train warranty and it muddies the water even more.

Now if a model gets a significant makeover then that might make the line a little clearer.

The days of being able to buy used cars for <$1,500 and not having to put significant repairs and work into them seem to be over. Of course this does not include the "my dad can't drive anymore and is selling me his 2010 Buick with 10,000 miles on it for $1,000" type of deals.

Everything is getting expensive these days. Even baseball caps are $30 these days. When I was wearing them they were $20.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:05 PM

815 posts, read 3,002,472 times
Depends on what your buying and how your buying it.

Used to be, that virtually all the time, that buying used was the more affordable route. Older car, cheaper price.

But in reality your doing two things when buying a car. Buying the car, and getting a loan.

Since most people finance a car, that cost is (or should be) a consideration. Since the lowest (or no interest) loans are generally offered only on brand new cars, it muddies the waters. Sometimes it ends up costing about the same to buy the new one then buying a less expensive one or two year old used car with a higher priced interest rate on the loan. So for the few folks that qualify for that low or no interest loan, you can get the new one for about the same cost. That probably isn't too many people though, since most people don't have the nearly perfect credit you need for that really low (or no) interest rate.

Most vehicles are generally less expensive used, especially if you pay cash. That removes the second part of buying a car, which is getting a loan. So what the car costs is the only consideration. No loan, no cost there.

That's why its often not the best idea to buy and finance in the same place. You tie the two too closely. It may be the right car, but not the right loan. Or the opposite, the right loan, but not the right car.

So I think for most people buying used is still the better financial thing to do. Its always best to have a smaller loan then a larger one.

There may be a few exemptions to that rule. For example you want the less loaded model of a vehicle that is mostly sold as a loaded model. If most of the used ones are loaded, they still have a high price especially if they hold their value better then average. For example a half ton pickup truck. The base model of a new ford f 150 is 27k and some change. But most sell for over 40-50k because most have many options on them. So a used one that is loaded is likely still in the 30k range. So if you are happy with the base model, and you can find one (they are hard to find new even) you could get it new for the 27k. But that is probably one of the few times, since there are likely few used base model F 150's out there.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:31 PM

5,746 posts, read 17,619,878 times
My current car was purchased used after a 3-year lease. The car was 3 years old, had less than 15K miles on it, and I bought it for 40% off the original MSRP sticker. THAT'S why I buy used.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:59 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,593,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My current car was purchased used after a 3-year lease. The car was 3 years old, had less than 15K miles on it, and I bought it for 40% off the original MSRP sticker. THAT'S why I buy used.
What vehicle was that?

I saved 6K when I bought my wife her 2 year old Rav4 with 24K miles on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive