Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:01 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times

Advertisements

Paid right at 40 bucks for the one I have. It records in color both day and night in 1080 High Def. I use a 8G SD card in mine but you can use up to a 1T card. That's about 2 hours of video and audio. I have mine programmed for continuous recording meaning it will record over the oldest recording. There's nothing to maintain. I don't leave mine plugged in 24/7. just when I'm going some where. They can come in handy. I was on a trip this spring and coming out of Crestview Florida real early in the AM, right before sun up, I had an 18 wheeler come around me that running well over 100. As he was headed on a downhill stretch, he center punched the bridge abutment at the bottom of the hill. The truck went airborn and exploded. Dash cam caught all of it. I gave the card to the Florida Hiway patrol. I got the card back from them in July with a Thank You note. They have a lot of wrecks on that stretch of road with drivers pushing too hard trying to make Tallahassee before daylight. Some make it, some don't. They said they were going to use the vid to show drivers what can happen when you don't follow the rules about driving too many hours or driving while far too tired. About the only issue I've had with any of the windshield mounted devices is the adhesive doesn't last long in the sun. Then it falls off. I have mine mounted on a piece of micarta that has commercial grade velco strips glued to the windshield. Haven't had any trouble with it since. The velcro I get at a commercial electronics store and costs about 12 bucks a foot. A foot of it goes a long way. The glue and the velcro is strong enough I have to use a screwdriver to get the velcro apart. I don't think you can get the glue to come loose without breaking the glass. MY personal opinion, you can't drive these days without having a dash cam. Far too many dimwits that will lie and then want to sue you for what was their fault. The dash cam eliminates any BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I got one for my wife (she wanted one) bc the driving around here has gotten more nutty and insane and crazy and people are getting really aggressive (personally aggressive - not just driving aggressive).

We'd like this on tape.

I would have turned the last guy (who pulled his car out in front to block her so that he could swear at her) into the cops.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
My dash cam just caught the dealer in a lie over adjusting my headlights. They would never have fessed up had I not told them I had dash cam video. It totally changed the tone of the conversation. And they did it the correct way the second time, with me watching.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:46 AM

242 posts, read 317,806 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyC2EhnjnKc
Close call with a driver who mistaked a green arrow for a green light.

We live in a very complex world. They can be a very helpful witness. They can also help us improve our driving.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:52 AM

Yes. I made the cops come for my fender bender. Lucky, too. Because afterwards, the people who hit me avoided the insurance company and tried to lie. I had the cop's report with the original confession and got my car fixed after 3 weeks of the insurance company trying to find them.

If I had a dash cam, they would have been done for from the beginning.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:52 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I know I'm driving a little more in tune and defensively since I bought a new (used but new to me) expensive car.
One of the things I loved about driving a 20 year old car was that I just didn't care that much if someone hit me
Now I'm l like - why do people keep parking next to me!!!!! after I've parked my car out in the middle of nowheresville.

I think I'm going to get one. You guys make it sound pretty easy. Just have to do some research.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:54 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Absolutely not. While I consider myself a good driver (no at-fault accidents or moving violations in the past 35+ years of driving) I wouldn't want to have the evidence of my own camera used against me if I do screw up and cause an accident. It's only a matter of time before they start being seized by law enforcement as evidence for their investigation. Not that I won't admit that I screwed up if I did; I just don't need my own camera used against me too.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Absolutely not. While I consider myself a good driver (no at-fault accidents or moving violations in the past 35+ years of driving) I wouldn't want to have the evidence of my own camera used against me if I do screw up and cause an accident. It's only a matter of time before they start being seized by law enforcement as evidence for their investigation. Not that I won't admit that I screwed up if I did; I just don't need my own camera used against me too.
The card is tiny. Eat it.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I know I'm driving a little more in tune and defensively since I bought a new (used but new to me) expensive car.
One of the things I loved about driving a 20 year old car was that I just didn't care that much if someone hit me
Now I'm l like - why do people keep parking next to me!!!!! after I've parked my car out in the middle of nowheresville.

I think I'm going to get one. You guys make it sound pretty easy. Just have to do some research.
I'm looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3BVA1L98F0PER

Old 11-04-2017, 08:59 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
It's also good if you are pulled over and the cop tickets you for some trumped up violation. Bring the video to traffic court and you can get the ticket thrown out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive