Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 11:39 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
<>Come on, I can promise you the majority of the lug nuts on the road were last "torqued" by a garage gorilla with nothing but a maxed out air gun and imprudent trigger finger - a far worse situation that a little lube on threads.
And never using the proper star pattern of alternating lug nuts. Hence my reference to garages like NASCAR pit crews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 01:12 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Anti seize and threadlocker alter torque values by lubricating the threads... You're actually tightening the nut more than you should to reach the same torque

One firm involved states toque values may need to be reduced by 25% to achieve the same clamping force as with clean, dry fastener.

https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/torqu...ifications.pdf

I used to use it frequently on exhaust system components in the pre-cat days, nice being able to disassemble a system with no cussing involved.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Never used it. Never needed it. Never had a problem.
" Never had a problem." That you know of.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
By golly the first time you break a lug wrench trying to remove a lug nut that's corroded to the stud, or you have to whack the wheel with a 8 pound sledge to get it loose from the center pilot, you will see the value of anti-seize.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
By golly the first time you break a lug wrench trying to remove a lug nut that's corroded to the stud, or you have to whack the wheel with a 8 pound sledge to get it loose from the center pilot, you will see the value of anti-seize.
Hear! Hear!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:50 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
You can if you want to.
I never have and never will.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Randy Newman has a wonderful song in his operetta, "Faust" about the Lord and the Devil that applies here:
"Never in my life have I heard such b*11 $517". It's fun, look it up on youtube.
Since everything down there is made of steel it will all expand the same except for aluminum which might stretch the studs .0001 inch. Petrochemicals will just evaporate.
The reason the shop won't do it is a legal issue. Torque specs are based on unlubricated studs and any variation from that procedure lays them open to lawsuits if there is a failure.
Careful mechanics know better and know how to do it right.
Back on topic, I do not use anti-seize compound, although that is a valid choice. I have several cans of an out of production spray lubricant that contains tiny lead and copper particles. Works like a charm, even on boat trailer wheels.
They did not say the lugs t nuts woudl expand unevenly, they said the grease or antisieze compound would expand and since it is already squeezed into the space under pressure, put the lug nuts off (by causing them to self-spin, or even crack the nut or the lug.

Interesting to me someone commented replacing the lugs is time consuming. When I have done it, it was very easy and took only a few minutes. op the wheel off, tap the lugs out push new ones in. Done. Maybe newer cars are different. That is usually the case.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I have broken the studs, but never broke a 4 way.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:22 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Interesting to me someone commented replacing the lugs is time consuming. When I have done it, it was very easy and took only a few minutes. op the wheel off, tap the lugs out push new ones in. Done. Maybe newer cars are different. That is usually the case.
Depends on the vehicle and whether it's front or rear. Most front ones have been fairly easy in my experience, but some of the rear ones can be an absolute *****!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,232,438 times
Never needed anti-seize on my lugs/wheel bolts, but I'm in Southern California and we don't see much precipitation. Also, my wheels come off every 3 months anyways. I do make sure to use anti-seize for other components that do not see frequent fastening/unfastening such as spark plugs/glow plugs. If I live in the Pacific NorthWest or New England area, I would bathe my car in anti-seize, WD-40, and other protectants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive