Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:56 AM

272 posts, read 303,498 times

Advertisements

My spare is 13 + years old, never used. Checked the pressure recently and was told by my tire guy that it's too old and should be replaced. Wouldn't even fill it with air for me. Does this sound right? Do I really need to replace it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 12:02 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Due to dry rot and such, I wouldn't personally feel comfortable riding around on a tire that old, even for a short time and even though it may have zero miles on it.

Is it a temp donut spare or a full-size rim/tire?

This might be useful:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how...our-tires.html

Old 11-13-2017, 12:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Look at it. Is it all full of tiny cracks? (Use a magnifying glass if necessary).

I have used spare tires that were 40 years old and they were fine. I have had spares that were decayed at 10 years.

If you fill it, keep your face away from it and definitely wear good safety goggles while filling. Inspect it both before and after filling it.

Given you can get a decent used tire installed for $30 - $50 why not just replace it?

Old 11-13-2017, 02:13 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Usual problems with old tires are due to ozone or ultraviolet light, neither of which gets into your trunk much. Some of the essential oils will have dried out, though. There is a date code on all tires so check all your tires to be less than 6 years old.
OTOH, since you apparently needed help filling the spare with air by yourself, are you really that likely to change a flat?
I would go to a used tire store and buy whatever fits and store it in the trunk for another 13 years.
Another alternative is determine which two of your tires are the worst. Buy new replacements for them to put on the front. Keep the best of the take-offs as a spare.
YMMV

Old 11-13-2017, 03:03 PM

272 posts, read 303,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Due to dry rot and such, I wouldn't personally feel comfortable riding around on a tire that old, even for a short time and even though it may have zero miles on it.

Is it a temp donut spare or a full-size rim/tire?

This might be useful:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how...our-tires.html
Full tire. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Look at it. Is it all full of tiny cracks? (Use a magnifying glass if necessary).

I have used spare tires that were 40 years old and they were fine. I have had spares that were decayed at 10 years.

If you fill it, keep your face away from it and definitely wear good safety goggles while filling. Inspect it both before and after filling it.

Given you can get a decent used tire installed for $30 - $50 why not just replace it?
Just trying to save a buck. I guess the smart thing to do is replace. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Usual problems with old tires are due to ozone or ultraviolet light, neither of which gets into your trunk much. Some of the essential oils will have dried out, though. There is a date code on all tires so check all your tires to be less than 6 years old.
OTOH, since you apparently needed help filling the spare with air by yourself, are you really that likely to change a flat?
I would go to a used tire store and buy whatever fits and store it in the trunk for another 13 years.
Another alternative is determine which two of your tires are the worst. Buy new replacements for them to put on the front. Keep the best of the take-offs as a spare.
YMMV
I was at a tire shop getting new tires. Asked the service guys to check pressure on spare to save me the trouble. Thanks

Old 11-13-2017, 03:21 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
If it's only going to be used for a spare, I'd air it up and keep an eye on it. It your car is 13 years old, you're probably due for another vehicle anyway.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:52 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
It is not exposed to sun so deterioration would be limited. I have used spares that are over ten years old without problem.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:20 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Full tire. Thanks

Just trying to save a buck. I guess the smart thing to do is replace. Thanks.

I was at a tire shop getting new tires. Asked the service guys to check pressure on spare to save me the trouble. Thanks
Cheapest option would have been to mount one of the tires you are replacing with best tread onto the spare(presuming you didn't run them all down far below the wear markers. Keeps your spare up to date that way.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:29 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
I have some rear tractor tires on an old tractor that are at least 40 years old. I have kept them aired up and never ran them low and they are still good. I have sprayed the sidewalls with protectant. A 13 year old spare would not bother me at all. Have some around here that are older than that.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
How fast is the spare losing air would be my first question and that would depend on when was the last time you put air in.

I used a 55 year old spare on a Model A Ford last year... the tire was in the side mount and the car was restored in the mid 60's...

When I buy tires I always check the spare and if in doubt I have kept the best tire coming of the car and made it the spare...

Few people today change tires on the road... at least here.

If you use a spare so you can drive in for a repair it has done it's job... even the space saver spares will often say not for over 45 mph or 50 mph along with temporary use.

I own 50 vehicles... almost all are collector cars and I have never bought tires based on a calendar date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive