Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM

192 posts, read 131,287 times

Advertisements

Hello C-D! I've reached the ripe age of 31 with two children, and have come to terms that a minivan is most likely the best all-around family vehicle to own, despite the perception that I may have given up on life. Now the question becomes: which one? I'm looking for any stories, experiences, or recommendations from others who are into the minivan lifestyle!

I think for myself, the choices are the big 3: Odyssey, Pacifica, and the Sienna. This year seems to be a good transition year, since the Odyssey model is redone, and the Sienna should have a revision right around the corner. The question becomes which one? Do the revisions warrant the higher prices over a previous model if I can find any deals? The Pacifica seems to have very nice discounts going for it as well, and reviewers seem to be going ga-ga over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:53 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,058,030 times
One question first.........are you aware that any minivan that has children will get trashed out?

Yes, kids are messy. Very messy. That's ok but why buy new when used is much more sensible choice. That said, the Toyota is a very good choice based on simple reliability alone.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
One question first.........are you aware that any minivan that has children will get trashed out?

Yes, kids are messy. Very messy. That's ok but why buy new when used is much more sensible choice. That said, the Toyota is a very good choice based on simple reliability alone.
Yes I agree. My tiny for focus has already been trashed out, and I've got stains on my cloth seats from it. I'll be sure to buy Leather for the van, as that seems easier to upkeep. I am not opposed to buying something used, as long as it is someone recent with lower miles.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:06 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,086,359 times
I've been researching this and from what I've gathered, it seems the Odyssey is the way to go.

If you want AWD, the Sienna is your only option.

If you want a hybrid, the Pacifica is your only option.

If you go with the Honda, the new 10 speed transmission has gotten good reviews, the 9 speed on older models and lower trim current models does not get good reviews.

We will likely buy next year, we are going with the Odyssey. Tons of YouTube reviews on there. The combination of features, driving comfort, noise, mileage, etc. make it a great overall mini-van. It's not cheap, though.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I've been researching this and from what I've gathered, it seems the Odyssey is the way to go.

If you want AWD, the Sienna is your only option.

If you want a hybrid, the Pacifica is your only option.

If you go with the Honda, the new 10 speed transmission has gotten good reviews, the 9 speed on older models and lower trim current models does not get good reviews.

We will likely buy next year, we are going with the Odyssey. Tons of YouTube reviews on there. The combination of features, driving comfort, noise, mileage, etc. make it a great overall mini-van. It's not cheap, though.
I've heard it's tough to get a "deal" on an Odyssey which is a bummer. I can't stand the thought of paying anywhere close to MSRP.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Pacifica all the way. The Honda and Toyota are looking dated even after new redesigns . You can also get a Pacifica in a plug in hybrid for about the same price as a non hybrid (less if you consider the $7500 tax credit). Overall it’s a much more refined car. The Honda and Toyota are still rocking those gawdy plastic buttons.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,086,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
I've heard it's tough to get a "deal" on an Odyssey which is a bummer. I can't stand the thought of paying anywhere close to MSRP.
Seems to be the case with a lot of Honda and Toyota vehicles. They sell very well and there's good reason for it. They're great vehicles.

Now we wait for those to chime in who had a cousin who knew a guy who worked for a lady who had one that had the motor explode and fly out of the engine bay while she was driving down the interstate. Engine blew the hood of the van off too and the heat from the radiator blinded her so she had to pull some stunt driving to get the van to the side of the road safely...

The Pacifica comes with more features at lower price points but they need to include those to sell their vehicles. Out of the Big 3, Chrysler is the last American vehicle I would buy. I'd rather not get a van than to buy a Chrysler. Sorry.

This is very informative. It's a long video but he goes into great detail and does nice comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Uw0scPPDc

Old 11-21-2017, 02:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:

This is very informative. It's a long video but he goes into great detail and does nice comparisons.

Produced and written by Honda?

Old 11-21-2017, 02:46 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Seems to be the case with a lot of Honda and Toyota vehicles. They sell very well and there's good reason for it. They're great vehicles.

Now we wait for those to chime in who had a cousin who knew a guy who worked for a lady who had one that had the motor explode and fly out of the engine bay while she was driving down the interstate. Engine blew the hood of the van off too and the heat from the radiator blinded her so she had to pull some stunt driving to get the van to the side of the road safely...

The Pacifica comes with more features at lower price points but they need to include those to sell their vehicles. Out of the Big 3, Chrysler is the last American vehicle I would buy. I'd rather not get a van than to buy a Chrysler. Sorry.

Dude, there’s an entire webpage dedicated to just Honda Odyssey transmission problems.
Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
They all offer different pluses and minuses. With 5 kids we found minivans way too small for the needs of daily family life. We crammed into them on vacation sometimes. Might be ok for smaller families, but they are terribly small. not much room for stuff.

I woudl look to make sure you can fit a 4' wide thing like plywood or drywall into it in a pinch. Make sure the seats stow or come out very easily and quickly. The swivel seat thing is very cool. Your spouse and kids can play games during travel which is way better family time than staring mindlessly at a screen. Sliding oors on both sides is critical. AWD - not that important. this is not an off road vehicle or a performance vehicle. For basic road snow FWD or RWD with snow tires usually does just fine.

Unless you are going to keep it for 12 years or so, the reliability ratings are irrelevant. Any new van will last for 100,000 to 150,000 miles. It is at or over 200,000 miles you start having serious problems. Safety ratings and reliability ratings you need to look at specifics. Was it safer and more reliable in any way that actually matters? Is the difference significant (like a 15-20% difference) or is it meaningless. Who cares if one van is 0.002% safer or more reliable.

I agree with the get a used one suggestion. Keep some of your savings aside and have it thoroughly detailed inside after you get it and it will be as like new as a new one will be after the first two weeks. If you keep this long enough that your kids start driving keep in mind it will be full of dents outside along with all the destruction inside. This is a utility vehicle meant to be beat to snot and messy/stained/ripped etc inside. It will happen. Focus on things that matter, do not get on your kids the first 200 times they spill a milkshake, or slushy in the carpet or on the "leather" (which is actually vinyl anyway). It is going to happen.

Drvie each brand you are considering both city and freeway, they all drive differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive