Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

You can do what you want. It's your property. I can only make suggestions based on first hand expirience. I'll stick to changing my oil every 3k air filters every 6k and in my dmax, I'll change oil every 3k fuel and air every 6k
Same here. NEVER ONCE have I heard of an engine blowing up because of TOO MANY oil changes!!! "What's wrong with that car?" "They took too good care of it!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I get that that's a jab at me, but what does the tech have to do with how the CUSTOMER decides to maintain their vehicles? Last I checked techs recommend maintenance items all the time, it's just that most customers either decline them or extend the intervals (e.g. owners manual says change the oil every 5-6k, so every 10-12k is good enough in their eyes!)
With synthetic oil, it is.

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Yup, wouldn't trust most of the dealership hacks out their to change oil on my lawnmower, let alone my car! I don't want to deal with the half ass rush jobs and inevitable problems that the flat rate system breeds! Would NEVER trust a flat rate shop to do an alignment, either. If the tech is flat rate, they'll just do a toe and go and ship it out the door! Quantity, not quality!
My Silverado came with two "free" oil changes and my Hyundai came with lifetime "free" oil changes. The dealer still isn't touching either one.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:10 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
With synthetic oil, it is.
NY Refugee said it best. It's all planned obsolescence. You really think the MANUFACTURER has your vehicles best interest at heart? No, they've designed it to last until shortly after the warranty expires (maintaining it the way they tell you to) because they don't want your car to last forever, they want to sell you a new one once your old one starts to break!

Old 11-28-2017, 10:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If you think the dealer does everything right then you just haven't read enough horror stories about dealer screw-ups. I don't trust the dealer any more than I trust those jiffy lube places. That's why I do my own maintenance. Perfectly legal and I keep receipts and log everything on a spreadsheet. I use synthetics for all lube and oil changes. Changing out the front and rear differentials on my Jeep with synthetic lube cost me the same as you rear diff with dino lube. And I know whatever I do is done with care and is done right.
I trust the dealer more because if they do screw up, they are in a better situation to get the issue corrected, unlike Jiffy Lube and such.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:44 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
NY Refugee said it best. It's all planned obsolescence. You really think the MANUFACTURER has your vehicles best interest at heart? No, they've designed it to last until shortly after the warranty expires (maintaining it the way they tell you to) because they don't want your car to last forever, they want to sell you a new one once your old one starts to break!
This is the biggest crock of crap out there. Vehicles are lasting longer and longer. This isn't the 70's and 80's anymore. Even vehicles which are rated the lowest in quality are lasting well over 100K miles.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
The reason why someone would rather spend $10k for new instead of $100 for existing, is because they can finance the $10k. They figure since they’re paying $500 a month on a car payment, they’ll just haggle for a new car instead and pay $510 a month, and keep the $100 in their pocket. Or, they’re leasing and couldn’t care less about the car, just so long as it looks good. Same crowd also tends to be the renters of high-end apartments. Spend thousands on rent, with nothing but temporary flash to show for it.

Me? I own. That’s why I pay a good chunk of money each year to maintain my vehicles. Those are mine, bought because I researched heavily and determined that each had some unique quality to them that others in the segment did not that I really liked, and want to enjoy for years to come.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:07 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,882 times
What is the definition of deferred maintenance to you? It's hard to find a trust worthy mechanic, so often times, people will "defer" maintenance to prevent potential problems, if that makes sense? You often hear stories of the Jiffy Lube who screwed up and now the owner is out a few $K for a new this or out.

When I bought my previous car, I read all these threads who recommended changing this and that to baby the car. I brought it to a highly regarded mechanic, who poo poo'ed me and told me to bring it in once a year for synthetic oil change (based on my mileage), and maybe brake change in 25K miles. Car performed beautifully for years until it was totaled by a distracted driver.

On my current car, new mechanic says same thing, oil change once a year + transmission drain and fill every 30K miles (Fords are known for weak transmissions). Changed rotors and brakes because they were down to metal.

What other maintenance is there?

Old 11-28-2017, 02:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Maybe they go elsewhere that is cheaper or maybe they do it themselves. Also, just the fact that you state owners manuals say every 5-6K, shows that you are still working on older vehicles. Most new vehicles recommend oil changes roughly every 10K.
Older vehicles? The manual for my 1989 Caprice says to change the oil every 7500 miles and the filter at 15,000.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:19 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Older vehicles? The manual for my 1989 Caprice says to change the oil every 7500 miles and the filter at 15,000.
That was the interval for my 1979 Grand Prix. Still did both at 5000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive