Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times

Advertisements

How about throttle body cleanings? Are they necessary under 50,000 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 08:40 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Actually, usually I prefer to change the oil myself. It's not hard. However, every once in a while, it is cheaper to get the special at Walmart. Last oil change was $19.95 for oil and filter, and check the air in the tires. If I went into the store and bought the oil and filter myself, it would have cost me more money! Apparently Quakerstate had a promotion on with Walmart.
That's one reason my wrenchs are in the toolbox. My dealer charges me 40 bucks to change the oil and rotate my tires. I could barely buy the oil and filter for that much, plus, all the info is recorded at the dealer were I to ever have a warranty issue.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
There are some cars that tend to carbon up more but for the most part I would only bother cleaning it if it affected the idle or driveability. Messing around with the motors and the sensors can leave you stranded and can be expensive if you break them.
I can tell you that I had to clean exactly one throttle body in all my years. And tha5 was only because the spider injectors were leaking and required removing the upper intake

Last edited by Electrician4you; 12-09-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There are some cars that tend to carbon up more but for the most part I would only bother cleaning it if it affected the idle or driveability.
Thanks. My local Valvoline has been recommending them every time I brought my 40,000+mile cars in for oil changes.

Also, I never let them check my tire pressures. They always inflate them to the max on the tire!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Thanks. My local Valvoline has been recommending them every time I brought my 40,000+mile cars in for oil changes.

Also, I never let them check my tire pressures. They always inflate them to the max on the tire!
Kia you have to with their GDI motors, doesn’t cost to much and has to be done to keep 100,000 mile in effect. Dealer dose everything for my cars, hell they made them they know my car better than anyone else.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Kia you have to with their GDI motors, doesn’t cost to much and has to be done to keep 100,000 mile in effect. Dealer dose everything for my cars, hell they made them they know my car better than anyone else.
Check your manual again. It's only needed if you don't use top tier gas.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
If you use top tier gas you should never have use any additives or cleaners. I use top tier gas and synthetic oil and my engines purr as long as I own them.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If you use top tier gas you should never have use any additives or cleaners. I use top tier gas and synthetic oil and my engines purr as long as I own them.
If you're using higher than 89 Octane gas and your vehicle doesn't specifically call for it then you're getting ripped off more by your gas station than any quick-lube place! lol

Old 12-09-2017, 02:08 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
If you're using higher than 89 Octane gas and your vehicle doesn't specifically call for it then you're getting ripped off more by your gas station than any quick-lube place! lol
He wasn't talking about octane ratings. He was talking about using gasoline from a Top Tier seller, gasoline which has a superior additive package compared to other sellers.

8 things to know about Top Tier detergent gasoline | Clark Howard

Old 12-09-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Quote:
Top tier gas has nothing to do with octane. I use 87 octane top tier gas. You can also buy non top tier gas in any octane. You should read up on it some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive